-NEWB help-1999 Acura TL- CEL and TCS lights-need more info

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:01 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-NEWB help-1999 Acura TL- CEL and TCS lights-need more info

Hey guys,

I think I came to these forums in years past and some of the fellas around here help me get a minor issue fixed on my 1992 Acura Integra. It ended up being a master relay, and I replaced it and all was well.

On to the issue at hand. I am looking into purchasing a 1999 Acura TL 3.2. The seller listed the car as "The check engine light comes on, and occasionaly the TCS light comes on while driving."

I've gone back and fourth with the guy a few times to talk about the car with him. I just got an email from the guy telling me more information about the problem at hand.

Here is what he wrote me:
Cool my number is ********. Now I just wanna make sure u read the ad. The check engine light is on. I talked to my mechanic and he checked the cars computer. The car will need an idle control module. It cost about 70 , the car will also eventually need a tune up which he said he would do for 100. The car drives and other than the idling issue, it doesn't have any problems, problem is also intermittent so it comes and goes. If you are interested I will set you up with my mechanic. I also will drop the price to ***** to make up for the expense of getting it taken Care of. Its a fun car to drive when running right. If this still interest you let me know.
TH

So the first thing I did was start researching this "Idle Control Module." I found a few threads on these forums and ona few other places related to the same issue. Some people are saying is could be a transmission issue, or even a vaccum leak. Moreover, I found references to the "Idle Control Valve" that is located on the throttlebody. I even found a DIY guide on how to change the part out and feel confident I can do the fix on the "Idle control valve/module or whatever it's called.

I have a few questions that maybe you guys could help me with here. I am a student in college, and I don't have a lot of spare cash to put into major repairs on the car. In fact, I'm getting the car in hopes of having something a little more reliable than what I have now. I once owned a 92 Integra as I said before, and it was a great car, and I loved it, even over 150,000 miles. THE TL also has about 151,000 on the car.

My questions:
1. Is the "Idle Control Module" actually the "Idle Control valve?"
2. Should I be concerned with the TCS light issue? What might that mean with this whole idle issue/ Idle Control issue that is obviously present?
3. Is it really likely I could be buying a money pit? The LAST THING I need at this stage in my life?
4. What, if any suggestions do you have?

I am eager for ANY input on the matter and would like to know what the chances are in you guys' expert opinion's that it's a simple fix of this Idle Control "device," and I'll be on my way, or is this likely to be indicitave of alarger problem that would lead to me needing to STAY AWAY from this particular car?

I have asked him if he can give me the codes for the diagnostics(?) he had ran on the car so I can provide them. If there's one thing I have already learned, it's that you guys say "post the codes....bro."

So with that in mind, before (and if) I get the codes, what can you guys tell me. Too much information is better than not enough, so PLEASE, LET ME HAVE ITTT!!!!

I'd like to say thanks in advance, and for any regulars here to have the patience to even look in the thread and possibly help me, you are STELLAR!!! I've read a lot of thread on here about the issue,but I am jsut not sure about it and some of the info I was seeing. I also saw some stuff about and ECS, and IDK WTF that is.

I'm no mechanic, but I'm not a moron either. I can usually get in there and get things done when need be. I've fixed things in the past not even knowing I'd be capable of such a "feat." lol. Anyhow, please tell me all you can and I guess you could say I am also looking for a little old fashioned "advice" outside of the mechanical issue itself.

Thank you,
Skred
Old 02-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
run far away

A: codes are clues -not diagnosis- and must be put together with some test and symptoms to get a realistic idea of problem
B: those lights acting up.. is never a good thing
C: if it was a few hundred to fix all the things the seller would have done it,,and made it back by increased value and ease of sale

You are looking at a potential money pit,,a TL trans with 150kmiles??? get ready for rebuild--even 4 speed 99s wear out~ $2500

was the `105kmiles` water pump/timing belt service done? thats a major expense $1000

for a student, my general suggestion is not a TL, rather a good little honda or toyota thats older, runs on 87, cheaper insurance etc
you wont have to worry about too much technology failing

not another teg-they wear out too and expensive parts/labor (wifes last car)

do ck our Member cars for sale -at top of pages- never know whats you can find there!
place a wanted ad with your location, budget and specific needs,,good in snow,,mountains etc.
The following users liked this post:
Skred (02-19-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Its a fun car to drive when running right
thats your tip-off line right there!!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
4th Gear

Thanks a MILLION guys!!!! I will RUNN AWAYYY RUN AWAYYY!!!! (monety python)

I can't thank you guys enough because I was kind of excited about the car and proabbaly would have bought it like a dumba**. I'm glad I asked you guys.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

This is really an expensive baby when shows up in mechanic. My 99 TL also has similar problem. Don't want to waste any money on it...