My 2002 TL engine shuts off HELPPPPP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 03:28 AM
2002 Acura TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation My 2002 TL engine shuts off HELPPPPP!

Ok so this happened 3-4 times in one day!
I was driving for like 30 minutes and It was a red light and my 2002 Acura TL sounded pretty weird like outside It sounded like some rattling sound or like some tractor or lawn mower or like popcorn popping lol?

and then 2-5minutes later I reached another major intersection and it was a red light and I fully stopped and the engine turned off? It was green but I couldn't press gas? Even though my tank was half way.. so I got lucky the car finally turned on I drove it to a near by parking lot and went to Canadian Tire because my car was running without Motor Oil but I thought my dad already put it in for me, So I had to buy some.. and Maybe the car was over heating? I wasn't paying attention to that but the Oil symbol on the dash kept blinking and it looked like it was dying I have no clue what was going on.. and I had to wait like 20 minutes for the car to cool off and so after I put some Oil and it worked perfectly fine, 15 min later It stalls at a corner and the car engine shuts off again! Pissed me off.. Whenever I tried starting it it kept like refusing it and it sounded like it was spitting.. and sometimes I wasn't able to start it.. So I put it on neutral brought it to mr lube and they fixed everything? they replaced air filters and removed some fluid but idk they said it was "FIXED" lol..

So yeah once we got it fixed I drove home and all of the sudden It HAPPENED AGAIN and the steering wheel turned stiff and it was hard to handle so I turned into a quiet neighbourhood good thing there were no cars cause I had to do a WIDE turn if there was a car I would've fucked up hard.. and thank god this man helped me.. and waited for it to cool down and got it running halfway near my house it happened again but this time the Radiator or the fan infront of the engine smoke was coming out of the socket where the coolant goes a shit LOAD of smokes blasts It was scary, but FUN experience cause this is the first time this is happening to me and now I know what happens cause I've learned now.. So the man that helped me stayed behind me just to make sure I was safe and he told me there was no coolant in the car so he used WATER for now.. and he said it could be the alternator? o-o and so he bought me coolant and water and we mixed it and put it down the fan radiator.. and it smoked but after that the car runned pretty smoothly and good and my dad took it for a test drive and it never happened to him? so maybe that was the reason?

So later on today we're going to bring it to a shop and see what happened to it? If you know PLEASE PLEASE leave a comment, The car was just sitting in the garage and I finally got to drive it out for like a whole day usually I drive it around the block for 10 min but yeah.. I guess maybe cause the car was NEVER on since December well sometimes we leave the car running but PLEASE help me SAVE MONEY, WHAT SHOULD I DO? HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU? I will do more research!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:09 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by tjkazai
I was driving for like 30 minutes and It was a red light and my 2002 Acura TL sounded pretty weird like outside It sounded like some rattling sound or like some tractor or lawn mower or like popcorn popping lol?

and then 2-5minutes later I reached another major intersection and it was a red light and I fully stopped and the engine turned off? It was green but I couldn't press gas? Even though my tank was half way.. so I got lucky the car finally turned on I drove it to a near by parking lot and went to Canadian Tire because my car was running without Motor Oil but I thought my dad already put it in for me, So I had to buy some.. and Maybe the car was over heating? I wasn't paying attention to that but the Oil symbol on the dash kept blinking and it looked like it was dying I have no clue what was going on.. and I had to wait like 20 minutes for the car to cool off and so after I put some Oil and it worked perfectly fine, 15 min later It stalls at a corner and the car engine shuts off again! Pissed me off.. Whenever I tried starting it it kept like refusing it and it sounded like it was spitting.. and sometimes I wasn't able to start it.. So I put it on neutral brought it to mr lube and they fixed everything? they replaced air filters and removed some fluid but idk they said it was "FIXED" lol..

So yeah once we got it fixed I drove home and all of the sudden It HAPPENED AGAIN and the steering wheel turned stiff and it was hard to handle so I turned into a quiet neighbourhood good thing there were no cars cause I had to do a WIDE turn if there was a car I would've fucked up hard.. and thank god this man helped me.. and waited for it to cool down and got it running halfway near my house it happened again but this time the Radiator or the fan infront of the engine smoke was coming out of the socket where the coolant goes a shit LOAD of smokes blasts It was scary, but FUN experience cause this is the first time this is happening to me and now I know what happens cause I've learned now.. So the man that helped me stayed behind me just to make sure I was safe and he told me there was no coolant in the car so he used WATER for now.. and he said it could be the alternator? o-o and so he bought me coolant and water and we mixed it and put it down the fan radiator.. and it smoked but after that the car runned pretty smoothly and good and my dad took it for a test drive and it never happened to him? so maybe that was the reason?

So later on today we're going to bring it to a shop and see what happened to it? If you know PLEASE PLEASE leave a comment, The car was just sitting in the garage and I finally got to drive it out for like a whole day usually I drive it around the block for 10 min but yeah.. I guess maybe cause the car was NEVER on since December well sometimes we leave the car running but PLEASE help me SAVE MONEY, WHAT SHOULD I DO? HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU? I will do more research!

I don't know if this is a serious post. I think you should consider selling a car and buying a bicycle. Highlights of your post are in bold.

If your post is serious, it will make internet history. Same way as a guy who ran water through his cobra's engine to clean it up.

Last edited by AZsilverTl; 09-01-2012 at 04:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jra8858 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
a few notes for others:
its really hard on the car to run engine 10 minutes during winter
creates more moisture inside and causes problems
better to add a product to gas to help it sit for months-
disconnect battery
Leave car alone!!

cars that have clogged a pcv valve from all the winter `short runs` can push oil past the engine rear main seal

when there is no/low oil, the coolant has to do all the cooling--it cant- and the system overheats
when air is in the system it can trick the fan into not operating
or a bad fan temp sensor, common problem if you dont hear driver fan running

driving with a flashing oil light = its time for a replacement engine
the running not running running again- no oil no coolant-pressure from radiator point to engine about to sieze up and have bad head gaskets and trying to crack the heads

a junkyard/auto recycler is the place to go
BUT
this car really got beat up- I would never trust the current radiator,
replace every hose etc

the start of the prob may have been a leaking water pump- it has a hole that lets out a drip when internal shaft seal fails
and probably a bad fan sensor A

lesson to all, ck your fluids!
Bad Noises are NEVER GOOD!
HondaProtegeX2.3 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Once you take it to the shop, reply back with an update on any damage inflicted.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM
2002 Acura TL

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Once you take it to the shop, reply back with an update on any damage inflicted.
thanks my friend, will do..
I'll ask them whats wrong.
Old 09-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Team Owner

was it really out of oil when you added some? how much?
you had been driving around that day with the oil light on?

whats the oil and coolant levels now
any funny color- foamy in either one of those?
either level lower or higher than last ck when filled?
Old 09-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Umm... from what it sounds like, the car was intended to be stored for a long while which means INOPERABLE! (Non-Operational Status). When the car is that status, usually any and all fluids are removed as well as the battery. So, my suggestion for tjkazai is this: STAY AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE!! RETURN THE KEYS TO ITS ORIGINAL OWNER AND TAKE YOUR DRIVERS LICENSE AND DESTROY IT IMMEDIATELY!!

Last edited by ua5inspire03; 09-03-2012 at 02:14 AM.
jra8858 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:47 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Atleast you said you had a fun experience.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Team Owner

ummm....ua5 that is OPs own car,,had it stored for the winter
but ran engine and drove it 10 minutes at a time,,,hopefully with oil?!

I have never heard of draining all the fluids for winter storage
the opposite in fact- install new oil, full tank of gas with seafoam or stabil
full tires and disconnect both battery cables- bring batt inside if bad cold outside

sounds like dad drained the oil to change it to bring car back into service,
and junior thought the job was done and took off driving for the day

Some lessons are really expensive--like this one
the car kept saying Something is wrong,,,, Im dying!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:41 AM
2002 Acura TL

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
was it really out of oil when you added some? how much?
you had been driving around that day with the oil light on?

Well, It was fully dry on the dip stick and around 25-30 minutes, I wasn't paying attention the the temperature guage which I should've so the car shut down as in the engine stopped running and I couldn't hit the gas, so I had to shut it off and kept trying to start it I was in the middle lane and it was hella traffic so thank god that It started and brought it to the nearest parking lot!

either level lower or higher than last ck when filled?
OK OK, I found out..

So the dash had the low fluid pressure light on and the check symbol on, I forgot what it was called but its on the lower left side the 2nd light top row and the one beside it 3rd light top row.

All those lights are now gone, I read the manual and I did what it said.
so now this is what I've noticed..

The radiator you know where you put it in coolant? it's like a cap that safes do not open when car is hot or some shit? when I opened it it looks all chunky as in like everything in there is dried up and like sticky and gooey understand? :P

So what I might have to do is flush the radiator remove all the coolant/antifreeze? correct? and replace with more new coolant?

I've been watching videos of how to clean radiators,
The temperature Guage rises every time I like push the gas at around 60km/h It slowly rises and over heats and reaches the "H" sign on the guage.

so I have to keep stopping to the side of the road and keep waiting 10-15 minutes.. to let it cool down?

So the problem now is OVERHEATING, how am I suppose to fix this?

So yeah all the dash lights are gone, but whenever I start the car everytime I let it cool down the car feels heavy and it wobbles like the car has fucking 800hp lol.. but then once I drive it it's all smoooth again.

Sorry, It's better if I learn now cause then if It happens again I will know what to do!

Let me know what to do next!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:44 AM
2002 Acura TL

Originally Posted by tjkazai

*EDIT*

All the lights on the dash such as the 2 main ones I was worried about the low oil pressure fluid the light is located at 1st row 2nd one and the 3rd one 1st row is the check oil? but it says CHECK and it looks like the oil symbol or something o-o

now the car OVERHEATS. what should I do now? clean the radiator and flush it out? Any tips guys? DDDD

Thanks, now heres what happened below!

either level lower or higher than last ck when filled?[/QUOTE]

OK OK, I found out..

So the dash had the low fluid pressure light on and the check symbol on, I forgot what it was called but its on the lower left side the 2nd light top row and the one beside it 3rd light top row.

All those lights are now gone, I read the manual and I did what it said.
so now this is what I've noticed..

The radiator you know where you put it in coolant? it's like a cap that safes do not open when car is hot or some shit? when I opened it it looks all chunky as in like everything in there is dried up and like sticky and gooey understand? :P

So what I might have to do is flush the radiator remove all the coolant/antifreeze? correct? and replace with more new coolant?

I've been watching videos of how to clean radiators,
The temperature Guage rises every time I like push the gas at around 60km/h It slowly rises and over heats and reaches the "H" sign on the guage.

so I have to keep stopping to the side of the road and keep waiting 10-15 minutes.. to let it cool down?

So the problem now is OVERHEATING, how am I suppose to fix this?

So yeah all the dash lights are gone, but whenever I start the car everytime I let it cool down the car feels heavy and it wobbles like the car has fucking 800hp lol.. but then once I drive it it's all smoooth again.

Sorry, It's better if I learn now cause then if It happens again I will know what to do!

Let me know what to do next!
Old 09-03-2012, 11:50 AM
2002 Acura TL

Oh and everytime I had to stop and wait for the car to cool down the fan was on!
I've been researching around Acurazine with the same problem so apprently I think I have a CLOGGED Radiator? and whats the thermostat and this sensor thing is everyone talking about? :$
Old 09-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

torture and abuse !....... y r u killin' da TL ?

Hey Tjkazai, if you really want to help your TL.........do yourself and the car a favor, and stop running it altogether unless you are taking it to the nearest local auto repair shop. It's my belief that the car is on it's last leg after being subjected to the circumstances which you had previously described.

It all just sends a chill down my spine and soul .

Please don't attempt to perform any more DIY , as the car may very well require a mechanical surgeon along with alot of prayers to become rehabilitated.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3.2TLc:
assclown (09-06-2012), jra8858 (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 04:33 PM
2002 Acura TL

^ see what happened? and under the cap is the gasket right? I don't think its there anymore..
So I might need a new cap? and look at those hose that goes to the anti-freeze reservoir thats like dried up anti-freeze or something? do I have remove that black cover tube looking thing? and scratch all that nasty stuff out? or should I just take it to the shop and make them do all the work..
I have to clean up the mess, what should I do fill it up with more Coolant and water? Let me know!

& the coolant isn't filled to the top is that why my car is always over heating? :$
and where can I get that new cap?!

Last edited by tjkazai; 09-03-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I feel your car's pain, as I'm about to throw up myself !
Maybe too many hot dogs and beer on this Labor Day holiday.

In order to get the old girl to the nearest shop, have someone drive you to the nearest store that sells auto parts. Take the old rad cap with you to match it up for a replacement. If no parts stores are open, try a place like Walmart....as they often carry some basic parts. No sense in wasting any more money on coolant, just top off the radiator with water for now. Scrape or clean the heavy stuff off the rad's fill opening, so the new cap will seal. Run the car with the cap off until it warms up and burps itself of air and puke. Top it off with more water once it cools. Take extra water with you, when you attempt to drive to the nearest mechanic. It's times like this that it would be nice to know someone who makes house-calls ! Your car will require some knowledgable intensive care in order to properly diagnose the potential damage inflicted.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:56 PM
2002 Acura TL

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
I feel your car's pain, as I'm about to throw up myself !
Maybe too many hot dogs and beer on this Labor Day holiday.

In order to get the old girl to the nearest shop, have someone drive you to the nearest store that sells auto parts. Take the old rad cap with you to match it up for a replacement. If no parts stores are open, try a place like Walmart....as they often carry some basic parts. No sense in wasting any more money on coolant, just top off the radiator with water for now. Scrape or clean the heavy stuff off the rad's fill opening, so the new cap will seal. Run the car with the cap off until it warms up and burps itself of air and puke. Top it off with more water once it cools. Take extra water with you, when you attempt to drive to the nearest mechanic. It's times like this that it would be nice to know someone who makes house-calls ! Your car will require some knowledgable intensive care in order to properly diagnose the potential damage inflicted.
Got you the anti-freeze reservoir, tube was broken and it melted off if you look at the picture so I replaced it with another rubber tube so now it works, and I drained it and forced water into the radiator and it puked out all the coolant, and uhm its mostly water and some coolant, my dad and his friends test drove it on a highway 120 km and the temperature guage did not rise so I guess It doesn't overheat anymore?!

But we still have to take it to the mechanic to replace the cap cause the gasket pressure underneath it is gone, and we have to get a engine treatment care thing o-o so yeah atleast the car doesn't overheat thank god!

Now I'll just take it to the nearest mechanic and do a quick test / tune up and ask them if theres anything wrong with it!
Old 09-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Team Owner

now im sure this is a joke
you cant possibly have all these probs, then say its ok and throw some additive in it
Canuks are a bit odd to Americans but someone has to pulling a leg or 2

the fan sensor is not working right--not when its needed
the radiator is beyond repair, it needs a water pump and soon head gaskets and heads

Is that missing coolant going into the oil? oil level raised and funny looking since you looked the other day?

it doesnt overheat at speed because air is moving thru the radiator
what little flow is has due to clogging

you cant fix the heat damage done to that rad--get a new radiator
the tube from top of rad to res bottles cap must be tight
inside the res cap, another tube goes into the stored coolant
those are critical to proper cooling-storage of coolant

you have destroyed the engine

give it a few more days of torture and dad will have to come pick you up somewhere
Hope its not stranded too far from home!

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-03-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahaa epic
Old 09-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
now im sure this is a joke
you cant possibly have all these probs, then say its ok and throw some additive in it
Canuks are a bit odd to Americans but someone has to pulling a leg or 2

the fan sensor is not working right--not when its needed
the radiator is beyond repair, it needs a water pump and soon head gaskets and heads

Is that missing coolant going into the oil? oil level raised and funny looking since you looked the other day?

it doesnt overheat at speed because air is moving thru the radiator
what little flow is has due to clogging

you cant fix the heat damage done to that rad--get a new radiator
the tube from top of rad to res bottles cap must be tight
inside the res cap, another tube goes into the stored coolant
those are critical to proper cooling-storage of coolant

you have destroyed the engine

give it a few more days of torture and dad will have to come pick you up somewhere
Hope its not stranded too far from home!
Everything his said ^^^ also get a "Fuel Pump Relay" for the first problem you listed....
Old 09-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Team Owner

there is no point in putting a dollar/loonie in this car
OP has been a ziner since they were 15,,now 17 and have the TL
but failed to read owner book-
failed to understand red dash lights mean STOP NOW
continues to believe all is well

like the old saying, remove gas cap- drive new car under it, install gas cap
Old 09-04-2012, 01:49 AM
Advanced

The car is dead... RIP 2002 TL
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
OMG This is WAYYYY Too Funny to take it Seriously......
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
I.... I just.... I'm at a loss here kid. Not only is this thread hard to follow, the way you're treating your car is pretty bad. This may be the father in me speaking, but driving is a privilege and right now you're not earning it. Driving includes keeping your vehicle in roadworthy condition, which you aren't doing. My first car was a 1984 cavalier in 1996. That seems more up your alley. Less sophisticated and easier to care for. Find a clunker to drive and if your TL is salvageable, I'd suggest staying away from it for a while.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Team Owner

the really odd part of this story is OP has been a ziner for 2 years,,a wannbe owner
In all that time things like fan sensor, thermostat,--owner book, terms they now dont know,
should have become ingrained knowledge
Old 09-04-2012, 05:12 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
at this thread.

as Jeremy Clarkson once said, "if you're no good at something, you shouldn't be allowed to do it."

step away from the vehicle OP
Old 09-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Im curious, did the OP buy this car or did his parents give it to him?? And what the hell possed this dicknose kid to murder his car like this!?!?!?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:08 PM
B A N N E D

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
well young lad you need to learn to maintain you car and is the name of the acurazine game the first one to 700,000 wins
Old 09-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Instructor

OP (Tyler Pedro? Facebook says you are 22, not 17) should talk to MarkNieb, they could have an awesome conversation about fixing their respective vehicles.

My car was idling like crap the other day so I figured since I just got it, it may have been awhile since anyone changed the oil out. I decided to go ahead and change the oil. I used Mobile 1 synthentic oil like I was reccomended on here. Anyways, I drain out the oil and noticed it was extremely dark and even after 10 minutes of draining, it was still coming out. I decided to go ahead and flush it to make sure all the bad stuff got out. I hooked up the hose, ran water through the engine, started it up and was waiting for the water to come out clean (The engine never went above idle so I was told this would be ok). Anyways, About 3 minutes into this, then engine starts shaking and shuts off. I figured it was all cleaned out so I plugged it up, added the oil and figured I was ready to go. WRONG! The car won't freaking start now. This car has been nothing but trouble for me, I think I am done with it.

Last edited by AZsilverTl; 09-04-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 PM

hahahahahahahahahahaha OMG That has to be a Joke right "AZsilveTl"???

Why all of a Sudden kids are Getting TLs as their First Cars???? Damn When I bought mine it was Considered a "Luxury Car" Not a God-Damn Civic.... At least we can say the Economy is Catching Up.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skirmich
hahahahahahahahahahaha OMG That has to be a Joke right "AZsilveTl"???

Why all of a Sudden kids are Getting TLs as their First Cars???? Damn When I bought mine it was Considered a "Luxury Car" Not a God-Damn Civic.... At least we can say the Economy is Catching Up.
Unfortunately not a joke, it is real. Quick back-story; the guy with the cobra had no idea about cars. He asked a question along the lines of "How do you clear the sludge from the engine?", someone joked and replied "Run water through it, but don't rev the engine." He followed the advice.

http://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-...-this-car.html
youmadeyou (09-08-2012)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 PM

hahahahaha Oh Sweet Jesus.... That is a Big ASS FAIL!!!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

So wait he's lying about being 17 or about 22?? This kid is hurting my brain.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Wtf is going on here...
Old 09-05-2012, 09:51 AM
MechEng

please move this to Ramblings/CarTalk
Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Dang I'd hate to have to search ramblings just to laugh at this again..
Old 09-05-2012, 11:48 AM
deal with it

Received 378 Likes on 316 Posts
Bookmark it, it tends to be faster than searching
Old 09-05-2012, 12:03 PM
MechEng

actually wait no don't move it. 2G TL already has a bad rep over there.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Advanced

wow... this is too much... hahaha
Old 09-06-2012, 12:13 AM
Team Owner

looking at pic of rad, appears that nipple for res tube is missing from cap area
can see light thru the side and rusty area,,,
no wonder it blows coolant!

canada cars must run the bottle on driver side of car,,looks opposite of where it should go for hose to bottle
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 AM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
holyyyyyy shit......
this is so sad....... for the car

Quick Reply: My 2002 TL engine shuts off HELPPPPP!