Loudest blower motor in the world

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 07:39 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loudest blower motor in the world

Hey y'all,

The title says it all. My '03 has a very HVAC. When I put the heat or AC on anything past one or two clicks on the knob, there is a very loud clicking/rattling/what have you. Get louder the higher I have the fan on. It sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side.

So, I'm assuming this is the blower motor? If so, how much would this cost to fix? Is it at all worth it, or should I just live with the annoyance?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2016, 03:32 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is typical of honda/acura blower fans. You've got some leaves or debris in the spinning blower section. Usually the motor fan cage is at the bottom of the heater/blower unit, which is found behind the glove box. If you've done a cabin air filter replacement, you can find the motor's fan just to the right of the filter section. The blower motor access panel looks circular and is held on by three screws. It then drops down, and you can remove the debris from the spinning "squirrel cage" section. Acura's service manual recommends disconnecting the battery when doing this procedure, but I don't think its needed. ( If you do this make sure you have your radio code handy) It's tough to get to the rear most screw, but otherwise easy enough to do.

The following users liked this post:
therealjgall (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 07:24 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks! I really appreciate your insight.

I think I might tackle it myself. Will post updates.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:11 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just had to do this over the holiday break. I found that disconnecting the white connector on the right front side of the blower motor (I think this is the fan control switch wiring) made it easier to get the fan to drop down. Also, you can pull the black plastic tube off (just below item "B" in the diagram) in order to get to one of the screws. Finally, i found it easiest to remove the glove box prior to doing this work.
The following users liked this post:
therealjgall (01-09-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 09:07 AM
WNC Real Estate Sales99TL

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Be thankful the blower motor is so easy to access. I had a leaf twig in mine. Incredible noise. Cleaned it out and all is good.