"Loose" exterior door handles

Old 10-15-2017, 10:56 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
"Loose" exterior door handles

Hi All, 2001 TL and both passenger side exterior door handles are loose. They still work fine, open each door, no issues, but the chrome latch has lots of play in it before it unlatches/opens the door. My son drives the car and he loaned it to his MIL for about 6 months and when he got it back from her noticed this issue. Exterior handles on drivers side, both front/back are fine. Anyone seen this issue and is there any adjustment within this mechanism I can adjust or is swapping out each handle the only solution?

The handle assemblies seem cheap enough, but then I'd have to have the trim piece painted unfortunately:

http://www.carparts.com/details/Acur...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anyone seen this issue before? No idea what the heck his MIL did to cause these to be loose with lots of slop in them. I may just leave them as is since each door opens with no issue, just bugs me! Tks!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
FWIW: The only way to tell what is causing the problem, is to remove the door trim panel, and take a look. If, you decide to replace the handles, you may want to check Ebay for color match replacements. Depending on the color, several are currently available, for less than $30 shipped. Car-part.com also list several for around $25 + shipping. Having the door handle surround painted commercially, would probably be cost prohibitive, painting it yourself, would be much less costly, and not too difficult to do. I have explored hundreds of 2G TL models at various pick-n-pulls, over the years, and have never encountered one, with the issue you describe. I see many Toyota and Nissan models, with broken, and or innoperative outside door handles, but Acura handles are pretty robust, and normally don't break, or exhibit problems. It seems quite odd, that BOTH passenger side handles are having this problem!
Old 10-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Yep my handles are still as rock solid as when I got my ('03) car in 2006. Grandlaker, was your car... abused?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Advanced

I have no idea what my sons MIL did to those two doors to cause this issue. You try to be a good person and loan something to someone in time of need and this happens. Oh well. Next time my son comes to visit I think I’ll tear one apart to see what’s going on with the mechanism. Like I mentioned, they still work perfectly fine, just lots of slop in them before latch engages and opens door. I may search online for salvage handles. Car is laguna green. Thanks guys!
Old 10-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Advanced

Question if I buy new handles and want to paint myself, can I go somewhere and get the laguna green mixed and put in aerosol can? I don’t have a spray gun but do have a nice air compressor. I would imagine I’d have to do a clear coat as well?
Old 10-16-2017, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by grandlaker
Question if I buy new handles and want to paint myself, can I go somewhere and get the laguna green mixed and put in aerosol can? I don’t have a spray gun but do have a nice air compressor. I would imagine I’d have to do a clear coat as well?
Ebay item #
231556919398 will provide a color code match, to your car, in an aerosol can. $37.00 shipped. Supposedly enough to paint an entire hood. So, if you have other areas which require work, it may be worth the investment. Quality clear coat from Walmart = $7.00 a can.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 PM
Advanced

Thank you!!!
Old 10-17-2017, 11:47 PM
wng
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Perhaps you can reuse the existing trim pieces. Looks like just the bolt holding the trim pieces to the spring mechanism?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:43 PM
Advanced

I’ve only seen them as entire assemblies so it appears you can’t separate the painted section. But not exactly sure.

Search this Thread