how do I adjust power steering belt tension

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
how do I adjust power steering belt tension

I get some squealing when the weather is hot and I make a sharp turn such as when pulling out of a parking lot.

I'm assuming that is due to slipping on the power steering belt. Is this something I can simply adjust the tension on, or does it need to be replaced?

I'm at 90K miles on my 2000 TL. I was hoping to wait until I get around 100K and have an independant mechanic do a massive maintainance. At the rate I drive that is at least a year away. I'd prefer to get the belts and hoses replaced then along with the timing belt and tensioner, water pump, radiator fluid, valve adjustment, spark plugs, etc.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:21 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Id like to know too
Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
I wouldn't mess with the tension unless you were SURE it was slipping from slack in the belt. Unnecessarily adding too much tension will wear down your PS pump.

There's a bolt on with a good 1" of thread sticking out of it on top of the PS pump. You adjust tension on that bolt.

Try some WD-40 on the belt and see if it helps with the noise.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Check the PS belt tension, if it has slack, then I guess you need to adjust it. The PS has 3 bolts, and is very easy to do. Looking at the PS unit from the right fender, you should see two two bolts on the bottom level of the PS, one on the right (below the pulley), one nut above this bolt, and one on the left (bottom level). Slightly undo the two bottom bolts, then tighten up slight on the top nut; one turn, two turns, or more depending on how slack your PS belt was, Not how the belt tension is now when the two bottom bolts are loosen.

Important note: adjusting the nut is not for you to check the tension. You check the tension when the two bolts are all tighten up. Failing to do so will kill your PS in 100 miles.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
I wouldn't mess with the tension unless you were SURE it was slipping from slack in the belt. Unnecessarily adding too much tension will wear down your PS pump.

There's a bolt on with a good 1" of thread sticking out of it on top of the PS pump. You adjust tension on that bolt.

Try some WD-40 on the belt and see if it helps with the noise.
Is it really accepted practice to put WD-40 on the belt? I've seen it mentioned before but it seems counter-intuitive. Doesn't the belt drive by friction and isn't WD-40 a lubricant?
Old 06-01-2009, 11:51 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
There is a product designed especially for belts- I would NOT put WD40 on it!
Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 AM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Hmm, maybe it was the pulley that gets WD40. I might have remembered wrong. My bad.

totaledTL, is it the silicone spray you're talking about? I sort of remember something like that in a thread.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Check the tension on it before tightening it. Push on (towards the center and see if there is much flex (more than 1" with minimal pressure) If so you can try to tighten it.
It may be time for new belts. If you change them yourself make note of the tension of the belt your taking off so you have a reference of how tight to make the new belt
Old 06-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by hANDYcaptd
Hmm, maybe it was the pulley that gets WD40. I might have remembered wrong. My bad.

totaledTL, is it the silicone spray you're talking about? I sort of remember something like that in a thread.
No, not silicone spray. I'm not sure what's in the belt spray products, just that they are meant for belts.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

i used a belt dressing once, think KandN made it....but its time for new belts like fsttyms1. squeaking cuz its stretched out, and by adjusting it for that tension will stretch it more. most serpentine belts are bad mainly because of old age, not really wear and tear...and now with our cars being 7-8+ years old its time to get these things done.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

What's up guys. Long time reader, first time poster/member here.

I just had the timing belt and hydraulic fluid pump changed out at the local mechanic. Ever since then, my car has been making a loud grinding type noise. It sounds like there's a swarm of bees under the hood. It's already loud when it's idling, but when I turn the steering wheel left or right the sound becomes LOUDER!

I took it back the following day and they told me it was the power steering pump that was causing the sound and that it would need to be replaced. I highly doubt that's the case because it never made this noise before. They said they double checked the timing belt and the tension is correct, so that's how they narrowed it down to the power steering pump. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this noise?
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM
10th Gear

Do not spray WD 40 on the belt. It will cause more slippage/ belt can burn off. Adjust the belt, no spray needed. Belt dressing is sticky and if you spray it on the belt, the dressing will collect dirt.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by StuckInWashington
What's up guys. Long time reader, first time poster/member here.

I just had the timing belt and hydraulic fluid pump changed out at the local mechanic. Ever since then, my car has been making a loud grinding type noise. It sounds like there's a swarm of bees under the hood. It's already loud when it's idling, but when I turn the steering wheel left or right the sound becomes LOUDER!

I took it back the following day and they told me it was the power steering pump that was causing the sound and that it would need to be replaced. I highly doubt that's the case because it never made this noise before. They said they double checked the timing belt and the tension is correct, so that's how they narrowed it down to the power steering pump. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this noise?
Sounds like the mechanic overtightened the PS belt. They are very finicky to the tension. Any more and you ruin them. Make the mechanic pay for it as he over tightened it.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:35 PM
Registered Nonmember

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by acutee
Check the PS belt tension, if it has slack, then I guess you need to adjust it. The PS has 3 bolts, and is very easy to do. Looking at the PS unit from the right fender, you should see two two bolts on the bottom level of the PS, one on the right (below the pulley), one nut above this bolt, and one on the left (bottom level). Slightly undo the two bottom bolts, then tighten up slight on the top nut; one turn, two turns, or more depending on how slack your PS belt was, Not how the belt tension is now when the two bottom bolts are loosen.
How exactly does one reach the bolt (it's a nut, actually) closest to the bumper? It looks impossible to get to. Do I need to remove anything to get to it? The back one looks easy to reach, as does the top one, but the front looks like a pain.
Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Registered Nonmember

Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn
How exactly does one reach the bolt (it's a nut, actually) closest to the bumper? It looks impossible to get to. Do I need to remove anything to get to it? The back one looks easy to reach, as does the top one, but the front looks like a pain.
So it looks like I need to remove the side motor mount bolts and bracket. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Assuming that you are only adjusting the PS belt's tension, loosen the mounting bolt on the LHS of the pump and also the bolt end's nut on the RHS, then use the adjusting nut on the bolt located along the top RHS of the pump. Deflection on a new belt is .33>.45 inch. So, be careful not to overtighten.

Answering previous question: Removing the motor mount is not necessary, but a bit of finesse with the proper tools helps to get the nut loosened. A 3/8" drive adaptor or uv flex would help working within limited space.

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 07-25-2013 at 03:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
TheMightyQuinn (07-25-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 03:21 PM
Registered Nonmember

Thanks. I'm doing the lightweight crank shaft pulley install which necessitates the removal/installation/adjustment of the PS belt.

I'm not sure what a uv flex is, but I have some swivel sockets I can try in there. Do I only need to loosen the nut/bolt slightly (e.g. a quarter or half turn)?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Wink PS belt removal.....

Originally Posted by TheMightyQuinn
I'm doing the lightweight crank shaft pulley install which necessitates the removal/installation/adjustment of the PS belt.

Hey MQ, totally different procedure for the PS belt to be removed. You were originally correct in thinking that the side mount would indeed be in the way. Also, as you already know the AC/Alt. belt would need to come off before removing the PS belt.

By the way, FYI: Universal joints, flex, and swivel all will accomplish the same thing when working in confined places.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry MQ, if you're going to "reuse" the present PS belt....all ya have to do is loosen the pump's bolts/nuts, then lift and support the belt up out of the way when removing the crank shaft pulley. ** No need to remove the side mount, unless ya want to completely remove and replace the PS belt with a new one.

My bad, just wasn't thinking !
Old 07-25-2013, 05:06 PM
Registered Nonmember

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Sorry MQ, if you're going to "reuse" the present PS belt....all ya have to do is loosen the pump's bolts/nuts, then lift and support the belt up out of the way when removing the crank shaft pulley. ** No need to remove the side mount, unless ya want to completely remove and replace the PS belt with a new one.

My bad, just wasn't thinking !

I got new belts to install along with the pulley so I guess that means move the mount.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:13 PM
6th Gear

replace belt with proper tension and have a Martini, very dry
Old 07-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Registered Nonmember

Still a no go. I can't fit a socket around the nut since there's not enough clearance. I can't get a crescent wrench on there since there no room and I don't want to round off the bolt head. hmmm...
Old 07-25-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered Nonmember

Okay, finally got it with a swivel socket set and an extension after removing a wire harness that was in the way. Hopefully I didn't round the nut too much!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

All you need for that nut is a deep well socket. No extension, no swivel.