HID Problem.... Some Advice... Please?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HID Problem.... Some Advice... Please?

Well, On Saturday I noticed that my passenger side HID stopped working, but then I turn the lights off then back on a couple of time then the light came on again. Later that day the same thing happened... so I did the same thing again and it worked, tonight the light didn't come on, even though I switched it on/off a couple off times, when I got home I switched it on/off and the light came on?

So, all in all is it my bulb or my balast, I think its my balast because if it was the bulb it wouldn't light even when I flicker it on/off... (right) Or can it?

I figure that my balast is getting weaker, (not gone yet) but getting their, so it lights the bulbs when it feels like it.....

Please let me know.... I researched the forums but no one had issues like this yet.... i guess from what I saw.... thanks folks in advance..... Ry
Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Intermediate

Your ballast is going out. I'd go for an aftermarket set of ballasts and bulbs instead of a stock ballast. You'll pay a fortune for a stock one at the dealership, and for the same price you can get 2 aftermarket ballasts and 2 new bulbs. Its a simple modification and you'll never have problems again.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Best thing to do is swap bulbs from one side to the other. If the problem follows the headlight then you know its the bulb. If not then its the ballast.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the igniter connection as well. It runs between the bulb and the ballast. You can quickly diagnose the problem by swapping components between driver and passenger side. I'd take a look at ebay or craigslist or whatever before buying cheap ballasts. They don't last as long or work as well as OEM.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:23 PM
lowrider

i had something similar happen...left light started to flicker...then right light went out...it has come back on a few times but for the most part is out or goes right out when i turn the headlights on...a few days later my left headlight began to blink again adn then went out...im driving with only fog lights at the moment...thank god their 6000K or it might be harder to drive...but i am under the assumption it is the balast is bad since the HID's will change color before the bulb blows...which is not happening...does this sound right??
Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lil'One
Well, On Saturday I noticed that my passenger side HID stopped working, but then I turn the lights off then back on a couple of time then the light came on again. Later that day the same thing happened... so I did the same thing again and it worked, tonight the light didn't come on, even though I switched it on/off a couple off times, when I got home I switched it on/off and the light came on?

So, all in all is it my bulb or my balast, I think its my balast because if it was the bulb it wouldn't light even when I flicker it on/off... (right) Or can it?

I figure that my balast is getting weaker, (not gone yet) but getting their, so it lights the bulbs when it feels like it.....

Please let me know.... I researched the forums but no one had issues like this yet.... i guess from what I saw.... thanks folks in advance..... Ry
So I'm not sure what everyone else has said, I had the same exact issue. I did read one and the guys said to switch headlights and see if it follows the light. Yes do that but be careful not to touch the bulb. If u do and its not the bulb u will ruin it. Secondly check the igniter, that's what was wrong with mine, I found one on ebay for 50 dollars, they retail for 300 so u can determine if its the igniter by having ur local mechanic do a process of elimination. So there u go. Installing the igniter is simple just time consuming
Old 09-11-2008, 07:41 AM
Racer

yeah check the ignitor. i just changed mine yesterday after not having headlights for a week. I am glad i didnt just go out and buy a ballast or new bulbs. Take off your bumper, which you will have to do anyway to switch out either part and do what fsttyms said - take off your ignitors on boths sides and swap them, what happened - did the lights go on or stay off?
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
10th Gear

I have a similar problem but my HID first changed to a purpleish color for a day or two then a light blue for couple hours and now it flickers for few seconds when turned on and it goes off with in 20 seconds. Any idea on the issue? .
Old 11-02-2008, 02:43 AM
6th Gear

well... same problems with all metal halide lights... LOL... they usually will go out either slowly or just not turn on at all... ballasts will usually last longer than bulbs(in most metal halide lights)...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does anyone know if a ballast from an '04 TL will work in an '03 TL-S? My headlight took in water at a car wash and my headlight went out. Looks like the ballast is fried. Found an '04 ballast at a reasonable price and want to know if I can use it. Appreciate your responses!
Old 11-04-2008, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear

yes...the -04/05 tl ballast will work in the 02/03 TL.