HID flickering, AGAIN!!! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 04:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID flickering, AGAIN!!! Please help!

I have an '03 SSM type-S, which I love to death but let me tell you, If I knew our HID's would cause so much grief, I would've reconsidered my selection...

I had the same issue many of you had with the bulb discoloring upon ignition and then dying out last summer. So I did my fair share of reading on these forums and decided to order a new pair of Kaixen 5k's and an OEM ballast from ebay rather than paying the dealership $1,850 to replace the bulbs, one ballast and my fogs. In the end it only cost me under $500 to fix.

Three months go by, and my passenger side bulb starts flickering, but never shutting off completely. This continued for about a month or so before the symptoms became more pronounced. Now the light flickers on and shuts off most of the time when I drive at night, but this is what I don't understand.

The light ONLY goes out when I'm making a right turn. The driver's side had gone out a few times here and there but the culprit is definitely the passenger side. There is no discoloring in the bulbs, but I swear, they're getting less brighter with each passing night, thanks to turning them on and off several times while driving.

So based on what I've read on these forums, it sounds like it may be a bad relay but to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to go about testing, let alone replacing this and I don't want my pants pulled over my head at some dealership or auto-shop. I already checked the fuses and they're fine.

If anyone can point me in the right direction and provide some sound advice, it will be most appreciated.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by pkoo83
I have an '03 SSM type-S, which I love to death but let me tell you, If I knew our HID's would cause so much grief, I would've reconsidered my selection...

I had the same issue many of you had with the bulb discoloring upon ignition and then dying out last summer. So I did my fair share of reading on these forums and decided to order a new pair of Kaixen 5k's and an OEM ballast from ebay rather than paying the dealership $1,850 to replace the bulbs, one ballast and my fogs. In the end it only cost me under $500 to fix.

Three months go by, and my passenger side bulb starts flickering, but never shutting off completely. This continued for about a month or so before the symptoms became more pronounced. Now the light flickers on and shuts off most of the time when I drive at night, but this is what I don't understand.

The light ONLY goes out when I'm making a right turn. The driver's side had gone out a few times here and there but the culprit is definitely the passenger side. There is no discoloring in the bulbs, but I swear, they're getting less brighter with each passing night, thanks to turning them on and off several times while driving.

So based on what I've read on these forums, it sounds like it may be a bad relay but to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how to go about testing, let alone replacing this and I don't want my pants pulled over my head at some dealership or auto-shop. I already checked the fuses and they're fine.

If anyone can point me in the right direction and provide some sound advice, it will be most appreciated.
Well for starters our HID's dont have any issues. Some have had parts fail but every car has parts fail.

Now to your problem, the side you are having issues on is that the side you replaced the ballast? Have you checked the wiring? Make sure the grounds near by are grounding and check the fuses.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:34 AM
10th Gear

I replaced the ballast on the driver's side last year, but the flickering side is the passenger side. I'm inclined to think it's not the ballast due to this fact and I know the bulbs are still good because the flickering started about 3 months after I replaced them. I haven't checked the grounding but the fuses are fine.

This may sound very stupid, but a depleted battery wouldn't cause this would it? Last time I went for a tune-up the mechanic stated my battery's below inspection-passable levels and should be replaced very soon...
Old 06-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I replaced the ballast on the driver's side last year, but the flickering side is the passenger side. I'm inclined to think it's not the ballast due to this fact and I know the bulbs are still good because the flickering started about 3 months after I replaced them. I haven't checked the grounding but the fuses are fine.

This may sound very stupid, but a depleted battery wouldn't cause this would it? Last time I went for a tune-up the mechanic stated my battery's below inspection-passable levels and should be replaced very soon...
Ok, so you replaced the ballast on the drivers side. What does that have to do with the passenger side flickering. It sounds as though that may be the issue.

If it were low enough it may, but you would be having a hard time starting the car. Have the battery load tested. most auto parts stores will do it for free.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I Heart My

Flickering light

I'm goin through the sane problem wit my driver side my light would only stay on for like 3 seconds den die I went to my mechanic today and said it's the igniter in the back of the headlight which is like 265 to replace basically a new headlight
Old 07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
2003 CL

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Fuse can be the problem

I just replaced my original ballast w/ an aftermarket one called Morimoto. It started to flicker. Then I found out from Acurazine's various feedback that it could be the fuse. I checked it & yes, the right side fuse was blown by the original ballast. I moved the left side fuse to the right side & the right side works good. Now, the left side is flickering because the fuse is gone. Give that a try. Ballast can be obtained here: www.theretrofitsource.com
Old 07-02-2011, 10:04 PM
2003 CL

Originally Posted by i_g0tz_s0l3
I'm goin through the sane problem wit my driver side my light would only stay on for like 3 seconds den die I went to my mechanic today and said it's the igniter in the back of the headlight which is like 265 to replace basically a new headlight
Just replaced my original ballast w/ an aftermarket one called Morimoto. It started to flicker. Then I found out from Acurazine's various feedback that it could be the fuse. I checked it & yes, the right side fuse was blown by the original ballast. I moved the left side fuse to the right side & the right side works good. Now, the left side is flickering because the fuse is gone. Give that a try. Ballast called be obtained here: www.theretrofitsource.com

Ballast goes for $55 each at this place.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
here's my story... driver side bulbs goes out once in a while... it happens while making turns or hitting pothole. after a whole one year it started to go out every 30 secs or so.... it was bad bulb and it never showed any symptoms of bulb going out.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 PM
2003 CL

Originally Posted by thewrangler99
here's my story... driver side bulbs goes out once in a while... it happens while making turns or hitting pothole. after a whole one year it started to go out every 30 secs or so.... it was bad bulb and it never showed any symptoms of bulb going out.
Good info to keep in mind
Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
its probably more than just the bulb...flikker is often ballast/power related

while we have all been suspecting water in ballast -and does happen as proved by ziner pics inside ballast
-recently a ziner acura tech stated the main prob is in the silver box that mounts on rear of housing
it gets water in it and zap goes your power source!!

that part gets replaced with a full aftermarket kit like those at www.hidextra.com an azine sponsor!
forget OE --aftermarket choices are plentiful
Old 07-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had mine replaced 3 yrs ago, opened up the old ballast on passenger side found much rust on the electronic inside the basllast I guess due to rain / car wash water leak inside. DIY, use clear silicone to caulk in between the cover of the seal on the new & old (driver side) ballasts. So far haven't had any issue after the replacement.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:15 AM
9th Gear

HID's flicker and go out, no out completely

2003 TL type s. A few months ago my HIDs started to randomly turn on and off when I would turn my car on, but a simple flick off the light switch would correct the problem- thought the bulbs were going bad.

Just recently both of the bulbs stopped working completely. I tried switching the bulbs and the ballasts and the only thing that happened is that the lights would turn on for a moment and they would shut right off, preceding a buzzing noise.

One light would turn on for 10 seconds and turn off, the other would flicker and turn off within a split second- both ballasts would turn the lights on but the one of the bulbs would only last for a few seconds and the other about ten.

-checked battery and it is working a full power
-noticed that the HIDs were not factory and the wires looked half assed/coble jobbed.
-re-connected wires and problem presisted

Do I need new lamps and ballasts or just ballasts? All other lights work just fine and my mind is totally boggled as what to do!!!

Can anyone help?!?! My car is in pieces and I need to get it figured you really soon.

I called Acura dealer and they would rather bend me over and have their way with me than give me GOOD advice.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

its often the silver part mounted on back of housing thats at fault, along with water damaged ballast

Do you get any moisture inside the housing lens? thats why!!

what you need to solve the problem is a complete hid kit from www.hidextra.com or www.ddmtuning.com - 2 of our trusted sponsors

well under 100 bucks gets you 2 all new waterproof ballast, ignitor/connector wire to bulb, 2 bulbs
everything is included in a set of click fit connector parts

splice new ballast power, red and black wires to cars red and black power leads

order a relay kit or make one so the lights have dedicated power without the cars relay panel
the TL seems to be picky about different parts causing different volts yadyada needs
easy way to fix is with a relay kit $15
ck both websites for info, and ck online for coupons before order
I would call over message to get a human to verify parts in stock and options
Mention acurazine!!

Bulbs: get 4300 (stock color) or 5000k , nice upgrade at night
The following 2 users liked this post by 01tl4tl:
Carbuff (11-17-2011), tltypes85 (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 AM
9th Gear

Thank you for the help! Yes, my lights do get water in them. I looked on that website and the whole kit is really cheap, as in price. I know that the lights that are in there now are aftermarket, because there is a hole cut in the back of the bulb cover and the ballast is glued on to the bottom of the bulb housing. Also, there is a red wire that runs from the drivers side positive lead and goes to the passenger positive lead. I don't know that this wire is for since both of the positives wires work. I'll order the kit, I see they give instructions that are vehicle specific and see if that solves the prob.

5000k? I was thinking 8 or 10K ...... Recommend those? I want bright!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 PM
9th Gear

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tsx-2009-2014-143/do-not-order-ddmtuning-815808/

After reading these I am now very skeptical about DDM... I need these lights and I need them to work ASAP.

Also, is it true about the watt vs volt issue causing all kinds of problems with the steering, popping or static noise in the speakers? I hope fixing my lights didn't just unravel a whole new ball of yarn!

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by tltypes85
5000k? I was thinking 8 or 10K ...... Recommend those? I want bright!
5000K is the brightest. The Kelvin is a measure of color, not brightness. Look on the vendor websites for explanation.
The following users liked this post:
tltypes85 (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 03:28 PM
Instructor

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815808

After reading these I am now very skeptical about DDM... I need these lights and I need them to work ASAP.

Also, is it true about the watt vs volt issue causing all kinds of problems with the steering, popping or static noise in the speakers? I hope fixing my lights didn't just unravel a whole new ball of yarn!

Any help would be appreciated!
Try HIDextra.com. I bought a kit for my MDX a few months ago. It shipped quickly and I haven't had any issues with the ballasts or bulbs.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

I agree, but give both places to be fair to our vendors--you decide
Look online -search for coupons for hidextra

lumens is brightness 3200-3600 normal
kelvin is appearent color, a little more blue than stock is good with 5000

8000 and higher put almost no light on the road to see with and worthless in rain
While 5k will pick up the reflecto paint in road signs and lane markings- very helpful!
tltypes85 (08-01-2011)
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 PM
9th Gear

Thanks everyone for the great info!! I just found a pair on Ebay- to the door for $45... We'll see how they work out. I wish I would have known about the color thing before I ordered these bulbs-I got the 8000k... Bulbs this cheep, wouldn't be too expensive to get just the bulbs for $15. I am not very trusting of online suppliers but I can't I can't afford to get bend over by a shop.

Thanks again EVERYONE!! I wish I found this site before I had brake work done- got lied to and bend over by Sears... This site is great!!
Old 08-02-2011, 02:07 AM
Team Owner

why did you go outside the places we suggest? they are known trusted sellers
ebay--who knows what you are going to get in a kit!

dont bother with 8k--send seller a message you want 5k
Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 AM
9th Gear

I seen a low price, good description of product, 99.9% positive feedback, warranty on product, and really fast shipping for only $45. I didn't send a message about the color and I'm waiting to hear back from the seller. The parts are already in the mail but I asked to have them send the 5000s and I'd send the 8s back. We'll see what they say and how they turn out. 100% money back guarantee, so I'm not going to sweet it too much. Maybe this Ebay guy will be getting a good review from me on this forum? They were really low priced and from the looks of it he has sold lots of them and only one bad comment about shipping in the last 6 months. I tried to contact both of the suggested sellers that you guys listed and I got no response. The Ebay seller said my lights would be here by Thursday- I needed that assurance because my car is in pieces. I will let everyone know how it works out and I'll be expecting a big "we told you so" if it doesn't work out.

Thanks again for the help and guidance, I really appreciate the insight and knowledge!!!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 AM
9th Gear

Correction: I DID send an Email asking about the light color.....
Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 AM
Team Owner

we are always on the lookout for a good seller
with the amount of email these places must get- always pick up the phone to get a human!
note hidextra also ebays-
kit came with receipt that has special codes and access to better deals than posted!!

ordered mine at 2pm and arrived next day USmail!!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
we are always on the lookout for a good seller
with the amount of email these places must get- always pick up the phone to get a human!
note hidextra also ebays-
kit came with receipt that has special codes and access to better deals than posted!!

ordered mine at 2pm and arrived next day USmail!!
You must live close. Did you figure out the problem you were having w/ them?
Old 08-02-2011, 01:42 PM
9th Gear

Lynoak Company USA is the name of the company. The support rep was very helpful in trouble shooting my problem and assured me that any problems from the system would allow me a 100% refund. General consensus is that the ballast is bad and who ever installed the aftermarket kit that is in there right now didn't install the wires for optimal power supply. And, the ballast was just glued in a random spot that made it more exposed to water seeping in through the air-dam.

I am going to put the new ballast in the RIGHT spot and to be safe I am also going to put silicone calk around the seems of the ballast(even though it is a "water proof" ballast)- can't be too safe.

Off topic, but has anyone used Seafoam in the vacuum lines? I read the threat on it but was just curious as to what you guys thought.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Off topic, but has anyone used Seafoam in the vacuum lines? I read the threat on it but was just curious as to what you guys thought.
LOL ... better question is "Has anyone NOT used Seafoam in the vacuum line?"

Yes, I've done it twice on both my TL and my MDX - MPG went up a little (I wasn't having mpg issues in the first place) and seems to idle a little quieter. I say give it a shot, it's not going to hurt anything.
tltypes85 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Team Owner

seafoam rules!
do twice thru gas tank and thats even better than MASTER VAC PORT
which needs gas tank method too,,to get all the parts you want clean

ck diy section for `seafoam-specifically 03` but works for all
has good pics and directions
tltypes85 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

the moisture dripping inside the housing lens is what gets onto the ballast below it

there is also a silver metal control box that screws to the housing- according to an acura tech thats what often goes- or goes with ballast failure
so just ballast wont fix problem
it gets replaced with the kits new improved and sealed system

a zip tie or 4 will hold ballast to frame rail and wires tuck underneath the housing as it slides into place
another zip tie and you are good
tltypes85 (08-03-2011)
Old 08-03-2011, 12:28 AM
9th Gear

I seafoamed both out 03 type s and our 05 tl. The 03 blew a little bit of smoke and now idles better (wonder if that means I did it wrong or if I just had a clean system to begins with.) I also did the gas tank on both. The detergent in the gas gave my car a little extra boom!

As far as the HIDs go, I am going to be taking some precautionary measures to ensure that the ballast doesn't get wet again. I wonder since there was a hole cut in the back of the bulb cover it allowed water to get in the lens? I looked and there was no cracks in the cover so I'm guessing that was the problem. A little duct tape over the hole with hopefully fix that problem. Really makes my lights get a funky color on the inside from all the residue from the water.

Any good places to find new headlight housings for a good price?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Kinda misses his Civic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815808

I'm glad I checked this thread...I was about to order a kit from DDM cuz my driver side bulb that I replaced last week isn't working now. And, I bought the bulbs from...DDM. smh
Old 08-07-2011, 11:07 PM
9th Gear

So my bulbs and ballasts came in and I noticed on the side of the box it says "d2s/rw". I emailed the company and the rep replied "the D2S bulb will fit in the D2R housing". From my understanding is that there is a difference of the two because one is for a projector and the R is for a reflector set-up. Will it be OK to throw the D2Ss in or should I question the info the rep gave me and find an actual D2R?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:50 AM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by hotclick56
I just replaced my original ballast w/ an aftermarket one called Morimoto. It started to flicker. Then I found out from Acurazine's various feedback that it could be the fuse. I checked it & yes, the right side fuse was blown by the original ballast. I moved the left side fuse to the right side & the right side works good. Now, the left side is flickering because the fuse is gone. Give that a try. Ballast can be obtained here: www.theretrofitsource.com
do the morimoto ballasts mount perfectly where the OEM ones mount
Old 08-08-2011, 05:10 PM
2003 CL

Originally Posted by HairyMonkey019
do the morimoto ballasts mount perfectly where the OEM ones mount
Morimotos are smaller & slimmer than OEM ballast. It comes w/ a T bracket that mounts anywhere (twist to any configuration to suit your needs) in the engine compartment as long as the wire is long enough. It's a blessing in disguise as it's a royal PITA to replace the OEM ballast.
Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM
2003 CL

So my bulbs and ballasts came in and I noticed on the side of the box it says "d2s/rw". I emailed the company and the rep replied "the D2S bulb will fit in the D2R housing". From my understanding is that there is a difference of the two because one is for a projector and the R is for a reflector set-up. Will it be OK to throw the D2Ss in or should I question the info the rep gave me and find an actual D2R?

Check these links out:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2123184

http://xenonexpert.com/faq.html

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/trs_tech.php

Hope these help.

Last edited by hotclick56; 08-08-2011 at 05:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
2004 TL- ABP/Gray

ok question the 04 and up and i think lwoer year tl's have stock hids, my 04's ballast went out, from what ive read ehre im understanding that any of the sites you guys gave, their aftermarket ballasts and kits will still work and fit the tl that has stock hids? if so yall are a life saver cause im not paying acura 800 to fix both sides
Old 09-04-2011, 10:52 AM
2003 CL

Originally Posted by Darkfear
ok question the 04 and up and i think lwoer year tl's have stock hids, my 04's ballast went out, from what ive read ehre im understanding that any of the sites you guys gave, their aftermarket ballasts and kits will still work and fit the tl that has stock hids? if so yall are a life saver cause im not paying acura 800 to fix both sides
I replaced my ballast w/ a Morimoto Three-Five ballast sold by www.theretrofitsource.com & it works perfectly. I just left the original ballast in its original position. Install a new ballast & cut a slot in the protective cap at the threaded area thru a little portion of the back cap. Route the new ballast wire thru it. Make sure there is enough slack in the wire under the cap for it to twist & lock in the headlight assembly. Seal it w/ GE silicone & presto!, you have a new ballast installed. Don't even have to remove the bumper to get to the old ballast. Good luck & save urself some $$$$$$$$$.

Last edited by hotclick56; 09-04-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: more info
Old 09-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Team Owner

ck www.hidconcepts or www.hidexra.com both have good stuff in complete kit form
new ballast, ignitor/connector wire and bulbs!
get the relay kit for $15 for improved power to the lights

take no chances- replace everything for both sides, well under 100$
look for coupons online

Its often not just the ballast,,but the next part in line fails from moisture too
Darkfear (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 04:40 PM
2004 TL- ABP/Gray

oh i am replacing everything, i dont think i'll get the relay though since our cars come with hids stock, they are already made to take the power, shouldnt need a relay
Old 09-05-2011, 02:11 AM
Team Owner

no -the problem is the stock system is set for its particular electrical needs
Some experience light flicker due to micro power fluctuations with the aftermarket bulbs or ballast

the relay kit bypasses the stock relay setup and provides power direct from the battery thru its own relay- to the ballast
Better, more stable power
you can make your own kit or buy one ready to go

when you are talking about a complete 2 light kit on sale for 50-60 bucks,,15 more isnt bad
You could still be stuck at dealer!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:16 AM
Team Owner

dark-
you will find a handful of us on here are fairly well versed in normal and oddball acura issues
look at the avatar box, Ck the persons time here= years of helping people, their post count, and especially how many thanks they have received. (thats a new thing)

someone with 50 post,, I may be leery of them giving solid info
others with thousands,,fairly reliable info~

Dont really care if you think it came with hid lights,,,so it wont need a relay
You go right on thinking that acura built it to more than a bare minimum

then let us know when a relay kit fixed the remaining problem!!

Quick Reply: HID flickering, AGAIN!!! Please help!