HID/Ballast Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID/Ballast Help

Hey Guys, need your help..heres the story...

Well I bought my 2000 TL from a private owner. When i bought it it came with a little issue with the headlight setup. THe driver's side headlight was jsut fine, with the HID working just right. THe other side on the other hand nothing like HID, but the guy somehow converted it it just used regular bulb. (PIC BELOW) . Now i dont know if it could be the ballast or something else....Is there anyway I can test the ballast?

I want both to be HID's. could someone suggest what i can do or where i can find it.

PICS OF THE WORKING DRIVER SIDE HID:

This is a picture of what the passenger side had. ITs not d2r at all..but i was wondering if anyone know's why they previous owner would do this:

SO...where can i test my ballast..where is it? and help me lol please
Old 12-04-2006, 12:14 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

So the TL had one HID headlight and one halogen headlight? That's some freaky stuff there. Maybe the HID went out on that side and the owner saved money by going halogen?

That doesn't look like like the ballasts that are attached to the underside of my headlights, by the way. I'm not sure if that's an aftermarket one or what. It looks like you need to buy the components of the HID system from an Acura dealer or off the internet. Those can be expensive, so beware.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Oh really so the HID on the drivers side one is aftermarket??
Old 12-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would have a body shop inspect your car for previous major front end damage. Somebody cut some major corners! That is not a stock ballast or wiring if you ask me
Old 12-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I would have a body shop inspect your car for previous major front end damage. Somebody cut some major corners! That is not a stock ballast or wiring if you ask me
There where no previous accidents i checked before i bought it.
I think maybe the previous owner just took the easy way out..

does anyone here have a complete HID set that i could just use?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:00 PM
Ackniculous One

Well, that is good news! If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, you may want to invest in some Philips ballasts with D2R Philips bulbs. They are certainly much cheaper than new OEM ballasts from the dealer. But, you can shop around on ebay and even the Black Market on this forum for people parting out their cars and get an OEM ballasts that way. At least this time, you'll be able to do it right, unlike that crackhead previous owner..WTF was he thinkin about?

Originally Posted by illTL
There where no previous accidents i checked before i bought it.
I think maybe the previous owner just took the easy way out..

does anyone here have a complete HID set that i could just use?
Old 12-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Ackniculous One

I did a search on that part number on the pic you posted and found this...definately aftermarket!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-SET-OF-MATSUSH...QQcmdZViewItem

Well, that is good news! If you plan on keeping the car for a long time, you may want to invest in some Philips ballasts with D2R Philips bulbs. They are certainly much cheaper than new OEM ballasts from the dealer. But, you can shop around on ebay and even the Black Market on this forum for people parting out their cars and get an OEM ballasts that way. At least this time, you'll be able to do it right, unlike that crackhead previous owner..WTF was he thinkin about?
Old 12-04-2006, 06:40 PM
運転することを愛

Sorry to HiJack. Your PM box is full illTL, here is the link to your receipt:

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8528/img4989pt9.jpg

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Instructor

I did a search on that part number on the pic you posted and found this...definately aftermarket!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-SET-OF-MATSUSH...QQcmdZViewItem

OH man! awesome. i will try to win the bid. and those will be ok for my car right? thanks again man for teh help...i would marry you if u had tits and a vagina! lol haha
Old 12-04-2006, 07:09 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is some stupid ass shit .... what kind of a moron would do something like that ?
Anyways, if when I was looking for my car and I saw something like this, I'd skip that car without thinking twice.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:20 PM
Ackniculous One

Regarding the marriage part Ummm.. plus my wife may have an issue LOL!!! She thinks I spent to much time on AZ as it is!!!

But regarding the second half of your post, I don't know about those ballasts. Like I said, if it was up to me, I would get a Hella or Philips ballast/igniter set if you want some high quality stuff. I have never heard of those ballasts. If you get something else, you may have to do some re-wiring with your stock wires but shouldn't be major. I have a Techone HID kit for my fog lights and they have done very well, but many people think they are cheap...probably are, but they work fine for me. They run about $200 a set and everything is contained in one unit. Like I said, you may have to wire up the positive and negative connections from your stock wiring going to your existing ballast/halogen wink eye setup. Good luck homeboy!

Originally Posted by illTL
OH man! awesome. i will try to win the bid. and those will be ok for my car right? thanks again man for teh help...i would marry you if u had tits and a vagina! lol haha
Old 12-04-2006, 07:31 PM
Instructor

Regarding the marriage part Ummm.. plus my wife may have an issue LOL!!! She thinks I spent to much time on AZ as it is!!!

But regarding the second half of your post, I don't know about those ballasts. Like I said, if it was up to me, I would get a Hella or Philips ballast/igniter set if you want some high quality stuff. I have never heard of those ballasts. If you get something else, you may have to do some re-wiring with your stock wires but shouldn't be major. I have a Techone HID kit for my fog lights and they have done very well, but many people think they are cheap...probably are, but they work fine for me. They run about $200 a set and everything is contained in one unit. Like I said, you may have to wire up the positive and negative connections from your stock wiring going to your existing ballast/halogen wink eye setup. Good luck homeboy!
^^^^^^^^^^awesome thanks man! i wanna get some good things, cause thats all i get when it comes to my TL. I am going to look around and hopefully somsone has a ballast and HID on this forum, ill put a WANTED thread up. lol

thanks again bro!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03typeStl
That is some stupid ass shit .... what kind of a moron would do something like that ?
Anyways, if when I was looking for my car and I saw something like this, I'd skip that car without thinking twice.
Yah i know what you mean. I was thinking that when i was looking at it but the price i got it for was $8500 for a Acura TL 2000. everything was MINT MINT MINT and it only had 70 000 KM ( i live in canada lol)

so far i put about 35 0000 km's on it and it still runs beutiful..so for the price it was ok. .. but its sure is a pain in the ass now
Old 12-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Also check with our vendor excelerate. He has complete hid kits
Old 12-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Also check with our vendor excelerate. He has complete hid kits
Will do!