Hesitationg during idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 PM
Bahito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hesitationg during idle

2000 3.2TL

Purchased recently. After two weeks the check engine light came on. With the CEL's: Misfire cylinders 1-5. And Random Misfire"

-I bought 6 brand new oem spark plugs from acura
- I bought 6 brand new coil packs from acura

After installing the new coil packs (disconnected the battery, so that would reset the ECU right?) No check engine light was present. Everything seemed fine until a few minutes later. The car was @ idle the whole time. When the check engine light was flashin slowly. Then stayed solid. I turned off the car then turned it back on. No check engine like was present. But the car idles rough/hesitates. If I rev the motor past 2,000rpm's it feels smoother but anything below or @ idle it feels rough.

Any ideas why the idle is rough? I didn't want to drive the car around like that but when I moved foward or reverse it has a harsh hesitation under throttle. But no CEL present.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Bahito

Bump because im F*ckin pissed @ this damn car!

Common People, I've already seen multiple threads with the same issue. Has no one fixed this problem?

People have said it could be: Coil packs, spark plugs, EGR valves.

even bent valves..<--- that I do not believe. I've built 200+ hp four cyl honda motors, and i've bent valves before...Trust me when you bent a valve the car will not run correctly @ all. this issue is just during 2,000rpms and under apparently....

my friend works @ Acura\honda... He looked into their online service bulletins and told me the coil pack was the issue.. now lets see what he says this afternoon. Until then I just want to know if anyone else with this issue has finally had it resolved??????
Old 12-19-2008, 08:30 AM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
^^dude - relax. you've only given a few hours time since your first post....
Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Bahito

mah nikka..or should i say bro. if you want to contribute.. do so.. i dont need ur useless comments just so you can get your post count up.. i could care less...

I've searched the web and i see alot of TL owners with this issue.. and every single thread in different forums have no answers.. just people who "think" they know. I'm just looking for someone that had the issue, and knows what the answer is to fix it.

I need this car fixed asap to get to work.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
spark plugs or coil related.

Get new plugs and buy one replacement coil. Swap it out the new coil for one used and rotate until you get rid of the problem. It's very rare more then one coil has failed you.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Bahito

Originally Posted by rob-2
spark plugs or coil related.

Get new plugs and buy one replacement coil. Swap it out the new coil for one used and rotate until you get rid of the problem. It's very rare more then one coil has failed you.

-I bought 6 brand new oem spark plugs from acura
- I bought 6 brand new coil packs from acura
i just spend $120 on the spark plugs and $340 on the coils
all from Acura

The CEL didn not come on again.. so maybe its having more than one issue???? brand new coils and spark plugs.. EGR valve maybe?

But I thought EGR issues are under throttle.. not idle.. When you give the car gas the EGR valve should close.. if it is dirty or not working it will stay open.. If its not that.. im stumped

Last edited by StylesT28; 12-19-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
ok- what the most likely problem really was : 1 bad coil AND the egr PORTS inside the intake manifold still need to be cleaned!
See DIY section - Thermoblock install and EGR cleaning-
Its not the EGR valve- but the ports inside the manifold that get plugged about
every 75k miles.

Im sure no one here said to buy 6 coils!!!- we always tell people that multi misfire codes is often 1 coil, and to buy one and start trying it on each cylinder
Codes are clues not diagnosis~

yes battery NEG cable disconnect will reset the ECU
Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM
Team Owner

some engine cleaning treatment- bg44-wynss-seafoam etc, will help you start from clean in the diagnosing, and make the injectors spray right-

I like redline SI-1 fuel cleaner in 1/2 tank of gas
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM
Team Owner

Have you had the codes read at an auto parts store?
or did you decide it needed plugs and all new coils based on internet reading?
Get it slowly to autozone type store and they will do it for free

whats the cars current mileage?
Old 12-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Bahito

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
ok- what the most likely problem really was : 1 bad coil AND the egr PORTS inside the intake manifold still need to be cleaned!
See DIY section - Thermoblock install and EGR cleaning-
Its not the EGR valve- but the ports inside the manifold that get plugged about
every 75k miles.

Im sure no one here said to buy 6 coils!!!- we always tell people that multi misfire codes is often 1 coil, and to buy one and start trying it on each cylinder
Codes are clues not diagnosis~

yes battery NEG cable disconnect will reset the ECU

The car has 100k

No one told me to get all 6. i just like to do preventative maintanence, so situations like this wont happen again.(starter motor,alternator next)

Yeah hopefully that will do it, my friend said he was gonna bring me a can from the dealer. and i'll check out that SI-1 out.

Have you had the codes read at an auto parts store?
or did you decide it needed plugs and all new coils based on internet reading?
Get it slowly to autozone type store and they will do it for free
My friend works @ Acura, he let me borrow his scanner. there is no code now after changing the coil packs.

before changing the coils it was :
P0300 = MULTIPLE CYLINDER MISFIRE
P0301 = P0306 = MISFIRE ON PISTON 1-6

I first went to him, then looked online to see other peoples experiences.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
bringin lead

Originally Posted by StylesT28
mah nikka..or should i say bro. if you want to contribute.. do so.. i dont need ur useless comments just so you can get your post count up.. i could care less...

I've searched the web and i see alot of TL owners with this issue.. and every single thread in different forums have no answers.. just people who "think" they know. I'm just looking for someone that had the issue, and knows what the answer is to fix it.

I need this car fixed asap to get to work.
Neither - I'm not your nikka or bro - show some respect if you want an answer or help with your problems around here.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

i just spend $120 on the spark plugs and $340 on the coils
all from Acura

The CEL didn not come on again.. so maybe its having more than one issue???? brand new coils and spark plugs.. EGR valve maybe?

But I thought EGR issues are under throttle.. not idle.. When you give the car gas the EGR valve should close.. if it is dirty or not working it will stay open.. If its not that.. im stumped
Well I would have spent $80 to get here, so I can't help you with your $340.

I feel like we're missing some details here. Have you had any work done recently? What's changed? Are you burning oil? Have you done the 105K service? Who did your valves? Have you run any cleaners through the car recently? Is the car warm when you have these problems?
Old 12-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Bahito

Well I would have spent $80 to get here, so I can't help you with your $340.

I feel like we're missing some details here. Have you had any work done recently? What's changed? Are you burning oil? Have you done the 105K service? Who did your valves? Have you run any cleaners through the car recently? Is the car warm when you have these problems?
I just bought the car less than one month ago.
I changed:

-Battery
-Air filter
-Cabin Air filter
-spark plugs
-oil change
-coil packs
-starter motor
-springs & shocks
-and did an alignment

the problem happens when the car is warmed up.

i doubt the previous owner had the 105k service done.

I'm gonna have my friend from Acura do the timing belt\water pump\valves done in january or feb. 09'

PS: I got the dealer i bought the car from to pay for all 6 coil packs and a starter motor

Last edited by StylesT28; 12-19-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:09 AM
Bahito

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
Neither - I'm not your nikka or bro - show some respect if you want an answer or help with your problems around here.

Same goes to you..

^^dude - relax. you've only given a few hours time since your first post....
I ain't your dude.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just bought the car less than one month ago.
I changed:

-Battery
-Air filter
-Cabin Air filter
-spark plugs
-oil change
-coil packs
-starter motor
-springs & shocks
-and did an alignment

the problem happens when the car is warmed up.

i doubt the previous owner had the 105k service done.

I'm gonna have my friend from Acura do the timing belt\water pump\valves done in january or feb. 09'

PS: I got the dealer i bought the car from to pay for all 6 coil packs and a starter motor
Its unlikely but your valves might be slightly off. Mine were, and I noticed an improvement on how the motor felt. Mostly that is was smoother and a little more power. Your Throttle body might need a cleaning as well. This improved my responsiveness at low RPMs. TB is easy to clean and can be done either at your 105K service when you'll have access to it or now. Also if you want to drop $4-5 on injector cleaners I'd try a few back to back.

I like the techron one. I put the treats up to 25Gal in my tank, and do two tanks back to back.

You are due for your 105K service, you may notice the improvements after that. Its unlikely your fuel filter as they last a lot longer then 100K

Last edited by rob-2; 12-19-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Same goes to you..

I ain't your dude.
Stop. You need to learn not to take your anger out on the people that will help you. So your car isn't perfect, get over it. No sense getting all excited with the speed, or lack thereof a FREE forum.

Want the problem fixed quickly? Go pay for such a service, at a mechanic. The rest of us here share our knowledge and experience on our own time not yours.

Remember that the next time you snap at someone.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:52 PM
bringin lead

^^well put.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Bahito

Its unlikely but your valves might be slightly off. Mine were, and I noticed an improvement on how the motor felt. Mostly that is was smoother and a little more power. Your Throttle body might need a cleaning as well. This improved my responsiveness at low RPMs. TB is easy to clean and can be done either at your 105K service when you'll have access to it or now. Also if you want to drop $4-5 on injector cleaners I'd try a few back to back.

I like the techron one. I put the treats up to 25Gal in my tank, and do two tanks back to back.

You are due for your 105K service, you may notice the improvements after that. Its unlikely your fuel filter as they last a lot longer then 100K

Well I have replaced:

-spark plugs
-coil packs
-Egr valve
-cleaned the TB and removed the intake manifold and cleaned it.

it still hesitating during idle and now hesitating during acceleration.

So this is something I jus stumbled upon.

Misfire's can cause a catalytic converter to go bad\clogged.

So the spark plug\coil that i replaced that had caused a mis fire seems to have clogged up my cat. I am not sure but tomorrow i will lift up the car and take a look into the cat to see if thats what it really is.

many sites on the internet said:
Here are just a few of the signs and symptoms of a plugged/dead cat:

1. Markedly decreased low rpm power,
  2. Engine runs a little hotter than normal at constant cruising speeds,
  3. Exhaust leaks near header that won't seal in spite of new gaskets,
  4. Bucking or hesitation while accelerating,
  5. Cat's exterior surface temp cooler near outlet.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:26 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP needs to chill... should at least thank those trying to help you.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well I have replaced:

-spark plugs
-coil packs
-Egr valve
-cleaned the TB and removed the intake manifold and cleaned it.

it still hesitating during idle and now hesitating during acceleration.

So this is something I jus stumbled upon.

Misfire's can cause a catalytic converter to go bad\clogged.

So the spark plug\coil that i replaced that had caused a mis fire seems to have clogged up my cat. I am not sure but tomorrow i will lift up the car and take a look into the cat to see if thats what it really is.

many sites on the internet said:
Here are just a few of the signs and symptoms of a plugged/dead cat:

1. Markedly decreased low rpm power,
  2. Engine runs a little hotter than normal at constant cruising speeds,
  3. Exhaust leaks near header that won't seal in spite of new gaskets,
  4. Bucking or hesitation while accelerating,
  5. Cat's exterior surface temp cooler near outlet.

You never mentioned you removed the manifold.

Are you certain the intake manifold was put back on properly? Are all your sensors plugged back in properly?

Was it tightened back up evenly? Did you problems start shortly after you did your work? If it's not sealed properly this could cause your idling and throttle issues.

Frankly, I'd be taking it to a shop to have them look at it. Too many details missing on this story to be very helpful.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Bahito

You never mentioned you removed the manifold.

Are you certain the intake manifold was put back on properly? Are all your sensors plugged back in properly?

Was it tightened back up evenly? Did you problems start shortly after you did your work? If it's not sealed properly this could cause your idling and throttle issues.

Frankly, I'd be taking it to a shop to have them look at it. Too many details missing on this story to be very helpful.
I just took out the manifold this afternoon and cleaned it along with the TB... Symptoms were the same before and after the cleaning. Yes I am sure i placed everything back together. torqued every screw in the correct order etc... all plugs and rubber hoses are in place.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:36 AM
bringin lead

Originally Posted by TequiLa
OP needs to chill... should at least thank those trying to help you.
if rob weren't such a nice guy, op would get ZERO help with previous attitude...
Old 12-22-2008, 08:19 AM
Bahito

if rob weren't such a nice guy, op would get ZERO help with previous attitude...

wow you still at it?

at what point are you, or have you contributed to this thread...
Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 AM
bringin lead

^^big attitude from a guy with 17 whole posts!
Old 12-22-2008, 11:47 AM
Bahito

^^big attitude from a guy with 17 whole posts!

^^coming from Rob-2's #1 cheerleader.. the cool guy with Racing brake slotted rotors

Sorry my life doesn't revolve around this forum..

and its 18 posts now
Old 12-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Instructor

I was going to help you with this , had the same thing happen to mine. But you are such a nice guy so i dont think so. Unbelivable attitude from you???
Old 12-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

^^coming from Rob-2's #1 cheerleader.. the cool guy with Racing brake slotted rotors

Sorry my life doesn't revolve around this forum..

and its 18 posts now
No ones life revolves around this forum, maybe you should stop taking cheap shots at people.

I wont be helping you any further. Goodwill on my part only goes to far. Then you go and act like a child. Bad behavior is not acceptable on this forum.

If you come back drop the attitude - your problems are bigger then this forum. As for your car, the dealership looks like a very good option.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:10 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

LMAO

Yeah man, I suspect you have some buildup that needs to be cleaned and run some seafoam to see if that helps, I think Tom (01tl4tl) has a good diagnosis on your problem.

I would also advise you that this forum is invaluable for information and as long as you respect it and the members, you will see just how much people will help you. Plus, its the holidays so the board isn't near as active right now as it usually is with folks on vacation and stuff...so relax, the information will lead you to a solution, trust me.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:59 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
Problem is between seat and steering wheel.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:09 PM
bringin lead

^^hahahaha!

as was mentioned in earlier posts, respect for other members is invaluable here! show it and help will flow your way - act as you have with the 3rd grade responses and nobody cares enough about your problems to help out.........

maybe next time you'll heed advice from regulars.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:24 PM
Team Owner

returning now to diagnosing:
A muffler shop can test the cat for temp, flow, plugging- usually at no charge
Cats are warrantied to 8/80, if its failed now, some good aftermarket ones are available from Excelerate, a trusted vendor here- they go for $100 basicto $300 for the performance one iirc
Beats the dealer by several hundred on this part!
Old 12-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
*walks in thread, sees gang bang in process, walks out*
Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
lol..no, not the gang bang..hahahahah