The Heat Soak, Fuel Boiling, No Start after 15min of sitting, issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
Originally Posted by mikejoyce34
Ok then none of these are my issue, no code (cvaporsy have cat removed but before that only codes were misfire (random and all 6) and cat efficiency.
Yes and no, those evap parts will not throw a real code. Just a false code- ramdom mistfire in some cylinders.

The problem is the car is flooding with too much gas. When the evap system is not functioning properly then it will start releasing or unable to release the gas vapor at the right time, causing the flooding condition. Thats why you have to wait half hour so so.

The symptoms are

1. Hard starting after a short stop... up to say half hour. At some point the gas vapors seem to dissipate so, starts normal.
2. Will not die when driving.
3. Appears to to do #1 more often with a full tank.
4. If it starts it stalls or low idle/very rough idle causing a misfire code. I know it's false bc the car will not misfire when starting normal. Drove it on a round trip of 800 miles... not one misfire.
5. Starts normal when cold or cool everytime.

Those were my personal experiences.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
Yes and no, those evap parts will not throw a real code. Just a false code- ramdom mistfire in some cylinders.

The problem is the car is flooding with too much gas. When the evap system is not functioning properly then it will start releasing or unable to release the gas vapor at the right time, causing the flooding condition. Thats why you have to wait half hour so so.

The symptoms are

1. Hard starting after a short stop... up to say half hour. At some point the gas vapors seem to dissipate so, starts normal.
2. Will not die when driving.
3. Appears to to do #1 more often with a full tank.
4. If it starts it stalls or low idle/very rough idle causing a misfire code. I know it's false bc the car will not misfire when starting normal. Drove it on a round trip of 800 miles... not one misfire.
5. Starts normal when cold or cool everytime.

Those were my personal experiences.
That's excellent info, I will talk to my mechanic
Old 04-23-2015, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mikejoyce34
That's excellent info, I will talk to my mechanic

The answer to your question "Does it throw a code?" is "No".

No is the correct answer not yes and no as noted above, because it will only throw a code once in a blue moon, very rare. And when it does it's a false code as noted above.

Sorry.
Old 04-23-2015, 08:59 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts

The answer to your question "Does it throw a code?" is "No".

Why would you tell this? Its known in HONDAS everywhere in the planet that they love to throw OBDII Codes regarding issues with the EVAP system....
YES its the correct answer as you can find Threads with those codes around all Acurazine, Not even specific to TLs.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:06 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Skirmich
Why would you tell this? Its known in HONDAS everywhere in the planet that they love to throw OBDII Codes regarding issues with the EVAP system....
YES its the correct answer as you can find Threads with those codes around all Acurazine, Not even specific to TLs.
Because it's true. During my experience it rarely threw a code because the car didn't start/run long enough to produce a code... i guess. The car can only produce a code if it's running. If it's not running how is it going to produce a code? When it does start it's running fine so, no code.

so answer is "No".

I don't care what others are experiencing. I'm only telling what my experience was at the time.

Last edited by 01acls; 04-23-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
I have an evap code right now on mine that I am looking to solve. I also do not have a hard starting symptom so maybe thats why the code keeps coming back every 30 miles after I erase it.

It is very true the car will not give a code if it will not run!
The following users liked this post:
01acls (05-10-2015)
Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by musiclevelz5
I have an evap code right now on mine that I am looking to solve. I also do not have a hard starting symptom so maybe thats why the code keeps coming back every 30 miles after I erase it.

It is very true the car will not give a code if it will not run!
Thank you.

Sorry, I don't know anthing about evap codes. However, if you smell gas vapors around your car and you don't have a fuel leak, then your Shut Off valve is malfunctioning.

What is your car doing if anything?
Old 10-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Advanced

My solution

i struggled with same issue. I have 2000 tl with 325k on it. At 250k I started with same issue. I run 91 octane NO ETHANOL from Stewart's . Never had prob since. 93 with ethanol was ok but still had issues. But the 91 without ethanol works awesome.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

I've got this same issue on my 2003 Type-S! Annoying as hell. I park the car, go into a store for twenty minutes, car struggles to turn over. I have to keep hitting the gas for a few seconds so it stays on. Sometimes, it just won't turn on and I have to wait a few minutes to try again.

Thinking about changing the main relay since people recommend that. Cleaned the EGR, made no difference. I use 93 octane gas. Hopefully changing the relay solves the problem. It's very frustrating coming back from a store and having to worry about your car starting every single time!
Old 01-31-2017, 01:22 PM
Eurotrash

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by OTHREETLS
I've got this same issue on my 2003 Type-S! Annoying as hell. I park the car, go into a store for twenty minutes, car struggles to turn over. I have to keep hitting the gas for a few seconds so it stays on. Sometimes, it just won't turn on and I have to wait a few minutes to try again.

Thinking about changing the main relay since people recommend that. Cleaned the EGR, made no difference. I use 93 octane gas. Hopefully changing the relay solves the problem. It's very frustrating coming back from a store and having to worry about your car starting every single time!
Tap on the Main Relay next time it has trouble with hot starting (it's up under the dash all the way to the left). Reflow the solder joints in this relay, as it's a very common problem, with several different symptoms.
Everything there is to know about your Honda/Acura main relay:
How the Main Relay works
When the Main Relay goes bad
Old 01-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Drifting

OTHREETLS,

Probably a fuel pressure problem. Make sure you have Black Dot FPR?

Check for a fuel leak after you drive the car by unplugging the vacuum hose at the FPR. If fuel comes out of the FPR vacuum port (not the hose) within a half hour or so then that's a defective FPR... replace. There shouldn't be any fuel coming out of the FPR vacuum port period.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

OTHREETLS,

Probably a fuel pressure problem. Make sure you have Black Dot FPR?

Check for a fuel leak after you drive the car by unplugging the vacuum hose at the FPR. If fuel comes out of the FPR vacuum port (not the hose) within a half hour or so then that's a defective FPR... replace. There shouldn't be any fuel coming out of the FPR vacuum port period.
Hmm, black dot? It just has a black dot on it, like marked? I'll look into this. Thanks!

edit: you mean like in post #23? I'll definitely look into it

Last edited by OTHREETLS; 01-31-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: updated
Old 01-31-2017, 04:40 PM
Drifting

Thumbs up

If your problem is consistently predicable after a short stop then it wouldn't be PGM-I relay.

The other thing that's possible is a defective evaporator system. Maybe a Shut Valve that's stuck open and gas vapors are being drawn in during startup when it's suppose to be closed, something like that.

​​​​​
Old 01-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Intermediate

If your problem is consistently predicable after a short stop then it wouldn't be PGM-I relay.

The other thing that's possible is a defective evaporator system. Maybe a Shut Valve that's stuck open and gas vapors are being drawn in during startup when it's suppose to be closed, something like that.

​​​​​
Yeah, it's been quite consistent in the month I've had this car. Just happened as recently as yesterday. Drove for an hour, turned car off. Tried turning it back on 40 minutes later, and had to hit the gas while doing that for it to stay on. Once on, it runs like no problem
Old 04-22-2017, 11:09 AM
Advanced

haven't been on this website in years came back to resolve this issue. its getting warm outside and my turns off after a long or short drive will turn back on in 15 min or so. I want to start with the easiest fix replacing the fuel pump relay then I will go from there.