Headlight lightbulb issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:18 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight lightbulb issues

I have a 2001 3.2 TL and according my research, a 2001 TL is factory equipped with HID's?? I bought the car used years ago the previous owner did not have HID's in this car. I'm guessing whenever he had blown light bulbs he just bought replacements 9006 bulbs at local Schucks/Autozone etc. So upon discovering that I have 9006 "stock lightbulbs" each time they burn out every now and then, I have to replace it. I bought a set of Sylvania 9006 and then I don't know if anyone here has this problem but the 9006 replacement bulb doesn't fit properly without customization (I don't know if it's because 01 TL's are built with factory HIDs), but anyways, I have to grind out the areas of the surrounding plastic that "stick out" so it will have a perfect circle shape groove so it can fit into the housing headlight. Has anyone else have to deal with this inconvenience? I have to grind out the plastic surrounding the 9006 bulb just so it can "fit" into the headlight and then snap it into place with that little metal piece that secures the bulb.

Story goes on....

Each time my stock lightbulb burns out, the situation becomes very inconvenient because I have to deal with the grinding out the plastic area of the bulb, so naturally I wondered if aftermarket HID's would solve this quandary so I bought aftermarket 6000k D2R. However, when I tried to install the D2R HID light bulb it doesn't seem to fit into the headlight properly. Are my headlights HID fitted?? The HID bulbs are longer than a standard 9006 bulb and the surrounding HID plastic seems to be a little bit bigger than the 9006 style but why is this a problem if Honda makes 01 TL's factory HID equipped?

So the problem is I can't properly secure my HID light bulbs into the factory 01 headlights and I have to customize regulator store bought 9006 lightbulbs that is very inconvenient each time they burn out. Has anyone else come across this dilemma? I don't know whether or not I should just return my HID set or not because I really wanted a brighter setup than lame Schucks' Sylvanias.......help??
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i dont think you could get a TL with halogen low beams...it was a standard option. i know my 99 has them and love them.. i would try buying a set of OEM D2R bulbs and see if they fit. take a pic of the back of your headlight without the bulbs in the low beam, i could tell you right away if its D2R or not.