Head stud/bolt stripped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
03' NBP TL-S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Head stud/bolt stripped?

So I have a problem. One of my bolts/stud (whatever you call it) on the engine head is stripped. I'm talking about where the header bolts up to the head. I tried tightening my header a while ago and one of them on the backside kept turning without getting tighter. How should I approach fixing this? I went to acura and bought the replacement bolt. It has threads on both sides. I wish I had one of those diagrams to show you guys. So do I need to just take off my header and replace the bolt? What tool should I use for the bolt? Are there any serious problems that can occur with this bolt being stripped or loose in my engine? help....
Old 06-09-2009, 12:53 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
Chances are the threads are stripped also. You can have a helicoil put in and use the factory bolt. Just find out what size the bolt is.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
So I have a problem. One of my bolts/stud (whatever you call it) on the engine head is stripped. I'm talking about where the header bolts up to the head. I tried tightening my header a while ago and one of them on the backside kept turning without getting tighter. How should I approach fixing this? I went to acura and bought the replacement bolt. It has threads on both sides. I wish I had one of those diagrams to show you guys. So do I need to just take off my header and replace the bolt? What tool should I use for the bolt?
Hopefully you still have enough good threads on the original stud so that you can use the double nut technique to remove the old stud. Then do the same to install the new stud.

Are there any serious problems that can occur with this bolt being stripped or loose in my engine? help....
You could develop an exhaust leak which can be harmful to your health. From one website:

Exhaust Leak Dangers
An exhaust manifold leak can be especially dangerous because it provides a direct path for carbon monoxide to enter the passenger compartment through the cowl vent at the base of the windshield, or past hose and wire grommets in the firewall. The escape of hot gases can also burn nearby spark plug wires and plug boots.

Exhaust leaks should never be ignored because they can have serious consequences any time of year. Because it is colorless and odorless, carbon monoxide gas can be lethal, especially if the windows are rolled up and the deadly gas finds its way inside the passenger compartment.

According to a research report published several years ago by the EPA, as many as one out of every five cars involved in accidents may have elevated levels of carbon monoxide inside the passenger compartment.

WARNING: Even a small exhaust leak that causes exhaust gases to get inside the vehicle can affect a driver's judgment and perception. As little as 0.08 percent carbon monoxide (that's only 800 parts per million) can cause dizziness, headaches, nausea, and bring on stupor in two hours. A one percent concentration level of carbon monoxide can kill a person in less than three minutes!

If you hear any exhaust noise, the muffler or pipes are probably leaking and repairs are needed. Don't put off any repairs that might be needed because delays can be deadly!
Also, you may develop some resonance in your headers, and perhaps they could crack over time because of the uneven force placed on them by the nuts (although I'm just speculating on that one)
Old 06-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
They make stud removal tools designed specifically for this. I've even seen a set at Harbor Freight.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:32 AM
03' NBP TL-S

Sorry for my noobness... but..

What is a helicoil?

What is the double nut technique?

I really don't want to have a shop do this, but that bolt on the backside is a PITA to reach, and I don't know if I know what i'm doing.

and I do have resonance. I should check if any of my welds are cracked.

and thank you for your inputs..
Old 06-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Helicoil has threads on both side, you tap the block to the size of the outside threads, put the helicoil in. Then the inside threads will be the same size as OEM bolts so you can use those.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Take your header off, and pull the bolt out. Are the threads on teh bolt gone or the threads on the head gone? If the head is stripped you will have to retap it and either use a larger bolt or something like a helicoil.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi All :

I just repaired a stripped caliper bracket hole by moving to an imperial sized thread and bolt. In my case, a 10mm stripped bolt hole is exactly the recommended size for a 1/2" fine thread bolt. Before you jump all over me, hear me out.

It seems that when you strip a metric threaded hole, it forms the perfect size for an imperial tap to cut new threads. Imperial sized fall in between metric and means that the new hole is much smaller than moving to the next metric size. You will still need to run a drill down the hole to clean out all the remaining metric threads and possibly drill out the hole on the header/manifold. When finished you have a solution that is stronger (by way of a bigger bolt) than the original. You just need to remember that one of your bolts is an imperial the next time you replace the headers.

Helicoils are fine but I would have some concerns with the heating and cooling of all the pieces and staying tight. That said, most mechanics swear by them.

smartypants
Old 06-10-2009, 02:39 PM
03' NBP TL-S

i guess my step is to take the header off and check. where can i pick up this helicoil and what size do i need?
Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM

You'll need the size of the original bolt. You'll need the helicoil set, it comes with a tap to tap your block.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Racer

Hi hANDY :

Helicoil uses propriatary sizes so you need to buy a special kit that includes the drill, tap and the coil. Take the old bolt and maybe a good bolt to an industrial hardware store (not Home Depot) and they should be able to fix you up.

smartypants
Old 06-11-2009, 06:28 AM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
The sets I've used also come with a tool for installing the coil. Definitely get the set, not just a coil so you have everything you need. Did you get the stud out? To try and get it out using the double nut technique you thread 2 nuts onto the threads and tighten them against one another, jamming them. Then use a wrench to turn the bottom nut (the one closest to the block) out, hopefully backing the stud out with it.

Last edited by totaledTL; 06-11-2009 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:02 AM

If you are going to replace the stud, buy some PB Blaster and start spraying the stud now so it will be easier to remove. Spray it every so often to help break up any rust or other material and help lubricate the stud so it comes out easier.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:09 PM
03' NBP TL-S

this job sounds intimidating. i guess the first thing i need to do is buy a helicoil. my finals are over tomorrow so i'll have to take a look at it this weekend.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:01 AM

Are helicoils meant to be permanent solutions to stripped threads? Or are they meant to be temporary?
Old 06-12-2009, 01:41 AM
03' NBP TL-S

^ i'm wanting to know the same thing. hopefully permanent.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Racer

Hi AM :

It is intended to be a permanent solution. Think about it as a thread within a thread. One application that should it not be used on is when you need to periodically remove the bolts, for example brake parts. With an exhaust stud, once its in it should not ever need to come out. That said, I still have concerns that the expansion and contraction might loosen the bolt over time and checking for tightness will need to be performed.

smartypants