Hard warm start in warm weather

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard warm start in warm weather

Hey all.. I've had this issue with my car for at least 2 years now but I've always just kind of lived with it. I have some extra time to devote to it now so I'm trying to figure out what the problem is..

So here it goes.. the car drives perfect .. in fact I just had the transmission replaced and the battery is only 3 months old.

The problem: On days where the weather is warm.. say 70 and up, the car will *sometimes* have trouble starting.. only for warm starts though.(no problems at all when I leave for work in the morning or when i leave the office at night).

..but if I'm running errands and making multiple stops, I start to experience it. When I turn the key the car either turns over and then stalls or just continually cranks. If I can get it to turn over, I hold my foot on the gas to keep the engine alive, the car shakes while I do this, sometimes triggers a CEL(today it triggered a solid one that hasn't gone away.. other times it was a flashing one that went away on it's own). After about 30-50 seconds of holding my foot on the gas, I let go and the car can idle on it's own and drives fine from there on out.

Anyone have any ideas off the top of their heads?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smoger
Hey all.. I've had this issue with my car for at least 2 years now but I've always just kind of lived with it. I have some extra time to devote to it now so I'm trying to figure out what the problem is..

So here it goes.. the car drives perfect .. in fact I just had the transmission replaced and the battery is only 3 months old.

The problem: On days where the weather is warm.. say 70 and up, the car will *sometimes* have trouble starting.. only for warm starts though.(no problems at all when I leave for work in the morning or when i leave the office at night).

..but if I'm running errands and making multiple stops, I start to experience it. When I turn the key the car either turns over and then stalls or just continually cranks. If I can get it to turn over, I hold my foot on the gas to keep the engine alive, the car shakes while I do this, sometimes triggers a CEL(today it triggered a solid one that hasn't gone away.. other times it was a flashing one that went away on it's own). After about 30-50 seconds of holding my foot on the gas, I let go and the car can idle on it's own and drives fine from there on out.

Anyone have any ideas off the top of their heads?
Ugh... sorry... can someone move this to the problems forum? not sure how i goofed that. Sorry all.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:46 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
I've noticed this also. It only happens when I start it almost immediately after turn it off. I avoid that now. If I'm only out for a minute, I just let the car idle. Much better for the starter.

But I have no idea why it happens. My guess is that it has something with the oil not having enough time to settle to the bottom.