Hacking the ignition switch - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:27 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hacking the ignition switch - possible?

The Problem: My 99 TL either has a bad ignition switch or bad key lock tumbler. The engine can crank and start just fine when i turn the key to 'start', but as soon as i let the key go back to the 'on' position, the engine would cut off. So i went and installed a start button, thinking it would solve the problem...it didn't. The car started and ran fine for a day, then it would randomly cut off when I'm driving. And i would have to hold the key slightly forward between the 'on' and 'start' position to keep the car running.

Now, when I turn the key to the 'on' position, i wouldn't even see all the dash notification lights unless i hold the key slightly forward. So either my ignition switch is bad or my key tumbler is bad, I can't be sure which part is causing the problem. Either way, I don't think I have the mechanical skills to replace it.

The Solution? : Can I splice the ignition wires in such a way that if i turn my key to the 'accessory' position, it would function as if I turned it to the 'on' position. If i splice the Ignition wire (black/yellow) with the Accessory wire (Yellow) and the second accessory wire (white/black), would it allow the 'acc' position to function like the 'on' position? Is there any danger in splicing the wires this way?

If this can work, I would just put my key in, turn it to the first position 'acc', and push the Start button, and the car will start and stay running.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:00 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spoonmasta
The Problem: My 99 TL either has a bad ignition switch or bad key lock tumbler. The engine can crank and start just fine when i turn the key to 'start', but as soon as i let the key go back to the 'on' position, the engine would cut off. So i went and installed a start button, thinking it would solve the problem...it didn't. The car started and ran fine for a day, then it would randomly cut off when I'm driving. And i would have to hold the key slightly forward between the 'on' and 'start' position to keep the car running.

Now, when I turn the key to the 'on' position, i wouldn't even see all the dash notification lights unless i hold the key slightly forward. So either my ignition switch is bad or my key tumbler is bad, I can't be sure which part is causing the problem. Either way, I don't think I have the mechanical skills to replace it.

The Solution? : Can I splice the ignition wires in such a way that if i turn my key to the 'accessory' position, it would function as if I turned it to the 'on' position. If i splice the Ignition wire (black/yellow) with the Accessory wire (Yellow) and the second accessory wire (white/black), would it allow the 'acc' position to function like the 'on' position? Is there any danger in splicing the wires this way?

If this can work, I would just put my key in, turn it to the first position 'acc', and push the Start button, and the car will start and stay running.
umm..... you have a bad ignition switch, key tumbler is still turning no problem by the sound of it
and i would say if you got the skills to figure out the wiring colors you proable could do the switch
btw: if you run all the "ON" loads through the "ACC" position it will cause the "ACC" position to burn out faster, so kinda pointless i would just get a new ignition switch
Old 11-01-2009, 03:46 PM
3rd Gear

I did some reading regarding the ignition switch replacement, and it seems easy enough for me to do. I just don't want to fork out $50 to buy the parts if I don't have to. Since the alternative is to buy a new switch, is there any way to rewire the ignition to swap the 'on' and the 'acc' position? Instead of wiring all the loads into the 'acc' position, maybe just swapping the wires in the harness, or in the switch itself? I don't mind taking apart the broken ignition switch to do this, since i'm going to have to scrap it anyways.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:11 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by spoonmasta
I did some reading regarding the ignition switch replacement, and it seems easy enough for me to do. I just don't want to fork out $50 to buy the parts if I don't have to. Since the alternative is to buy a new switch, is there any way to rewire the ignition to swap the 'on' and the 'acc' position? Instead of wiring all the loads into the 'acc' position, maybe just swapping the wires in the harness, or in the switch itself? I don't mind taking apart the broken ignition switch to do this, since i'm going to have to scrap it anyways.
you could do a relay, but your radio won't turn off and such when you go and crank it, but you might have noticed it with the seperate starter button, if you just swap the wires you will lose your radio and such
BTW: are you really that cheap to go and buy a new ignition switch
FYI: i had them the exact same problem on my 94 accord of it starting and dieing as soon as you let go of the key
IT WAS THE IGNITION SWITCH

and here you go http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...s=&view=normal
it's number 8, it is $51.38 plus shipping right to your door so you don't have to go and waste your precious gas
Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Just replace the switch. Why go through all that trouble? Your time has to be worth more than that & you risk damaging something, along with hacked up wiring-
Old 11-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Im with the others, go out and buy a new ignition switch and solve your problems
Old 11-01-2009, 11:18 PM
3rd Gear

Ok, advice heard and taken
I'm going to buy a new switch, but in the mean time, i'm gonna try to see what I can do to mod the old switch. Thanks for the replies.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:01 AM
2nd Gear

I was thinking the same thing since my 99 TL started acting up on Saturday night, and I need to get to work on Monday. No parts available Sunday, so I looked in the FSM and realized hooking the ACC and the IG1 together was probably a short term fix. Instead, I took the switch apart- pry open the fingers on the side and hold them in place with toothpicks until you get all the way around. The contacts inside the switch were in pretty bad shape. Clean a little of the grease off so you can see what you've got, and then take some 150 or so grit sandpaper to clean the contacts and get rid of any ridges that have worn into the contacts. Put it back together and started and ran fine. I did a similar thing with the turn signal switch a year ago and it's been working since. Intend to get a new switch by the end of the week, but feel confident I won't be stranded in the meantime.