Grinding noise when shifting from neutral to D5

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Grinding noise when shifting from neutral to D5

Hey Guys,

I'm one of those unfortunate people who locked into an '03 TL to later learn that it has major transmission problems.

I'm the second owner (bought with 50K miles) and experienced the shuddering-when-shifting-to-2nd issue until the tranny needed to be rebuilt in '11 at about 96k miles.

Currently it has 154K miles on it and the transmission seems to be doing okay. It shifts smoothly when driving and there's no slippage. Shifting from neutral to Drive when stationary is slightly delayed. Sometimes it's a silent shift, and sometimes there's a slight 'click' but no jerking or anything. I've noticed when I'm going up a 'steep' hill (7-8% grade) at freeway speeds the car seems to lack oomph and likes to stay at high rpms longer than it should.

However my question is that I've noticed that if I'm coasting in neutral, and I shift into drive, the transmission complains with a moderately loud, quick grind. What could be the cause of the problem? I'm open to the idea that the sound is coming from somewhere else.

After the previous oil change the dealer alerted me to a leak under the transmission. I'm not getting any on the pavement but the underside does appear to be seeping a bit (of something).

I plan to do the 3x drain/fill in a week or two. However in the meantime, any ideas as to what might cause that noise when shifting to drive would be helpful. Am I low on fluid and the noise is coming from the torque converter?

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-19-2014, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Unhappy Click 'n grind from neutral to drive......

Originally Posted by Chojun
Currently it has 154K miles on it and the transmission seems to be doing okay. It shifts smoothly when driving and there's no slippage.

Shifting from neutral to Drive when stationary is slightly delayed. Sometimes it's a silent shift, and sometimes there's a slight 'click' but no jerking or anything.

However my question is that I've noticed that if I'm coasting in neutral, and I shift into drive, the transmission complains with a moderately loud, quick grind.
Welcome Chojun !!!
Is your ATF level up to normal on the dipstick ? When were the mounts last replaced ?
The leak could possibly be originating from the tranny driveshaft seals. Perhaps the CV joints are starting
to show wear ? Is the "click" noise worse when ya turn the steering wheel ? Check the shift cable linkage
and range selector for play.

If the tranny complains with grinding when being shifted while coasting, then refrain from doing that.

Last edited by 3.2TLc; 09-19-2014 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
stop coasting in N!!!!!!!!!! whats that for anyway? The TL emission systems and Automatic Trans are designed to be left in Drive and they will deal with everything

Assuming you are losing atf- then yes low fluid will cause your problem and needs to be FOUND AND FIXED asap, ck the axle seals at trans to driveshafts and the rubber flex boots on axle cv bearings- any tears in the rubber or signs of grease being flung outward from there?
use ONLY HONDA DW-1 its a new formula from the old zr1

find and fix before the fluid change but top off with Honda dw1 now- if you are below
IN BETWEEN the 2 dots on dipdstick when ckd per owner book