Front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:49 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front wheel

Hey guys, I'm hearing a, how can I explain, somewhat of a crinkling sound when I put in reverse or drive also when I'm rolling slowly at times, I may even compare it to a slight ice cream stick in spoke sound, my mechanic said it may be the brake sheild and since I'm changing the rotors and brakes soon anyway I'll see if that takes it away, but I think it may be something else, anybody have any idea of what it could be? Any experience's??
Old 11-09-2006, 11:54 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitlayers
Hey guys, I'm hearing a, how can I explain, somewhat of a crinkling sound when I put in reverse or drive also when I'm rolling slowly at times, I may even compare it to a slight ice cream stick in spoke sound, my mechanic said it may be the brake sheild and since I'm changing the rotors and brakes soon anyway I'll see if that takes it away, but I think it may be something else, anybody have any idea of what it could be? Any experience's??
most likely your brake shield but do the wiggle test to check your wheel bearing for play. the easiest thing to do is rotate the wheel by hand and listen to it when you have it jacked up. you should be able to tell right away if it's the brake shield.

SSTS
Old 11-10-2006, 08:30 AM
Pro

Thanks for your response! Yep I did the wiggle test and heard nothing, so I will jack it up and rotate the wheel by hand. I'll post when resolved
Old 11-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I dont think its a brake shield. That would be more of a squeal from rubbing metal on metal.
That sound could be a CV, Usually a bearing would hum.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:59 AM
checkmate...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it sound like a crinkle or more like a clink? Does it happen when you drive slowly over bumps or cracks in the road AND it goes away when you apply the brakes to slow down? And is it only audible with the windows down?

I had the above symptoms and traced it to the brake pad metal retaining clips. The front driver clips were loose and clinked over rough pavement. So I bent the tabs on the clips that secure them to the caliper so they wouldn't jiggle around. No more embarrassing clinks.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Pro

It's more of a "clink", "ping" sound, and I only hear it when I first put it into Drive or Reverse, I also hear it if I'm making a turn at a very slow speed like pulling into my driveway.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:29 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I dont think its a brake shield. That would be more of a squeal from rubbing metal on metal.
That sound could be a CV, Usually a bearing would hum.
well this is true, but i will say that when i bent my brake shield it didn't squeal. but it made a distinctive speed-related noise.

Hitlayers, i don't think i completely understand your last post. did you mean that it makes this noise as you move the shifter when your not physically going anywhere also?

SSTS
Old 11-13-2006, 08:53 PM
Pro

I hear the noise when I first take off whether I'm going forward or reverse, it's just the initial slow roll off, or when making a turn at a slow speed, I really need to make time to jack it up and rotate the wheel manually.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:38 PM
08 Civic SI

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
ive got the same problem and its driving me insane!! i can only hear it when the windows are down. i just got new slotted dimped rotors and pads. makes the same noise, kinda wiring clicking, almost like every time the spoke passes the the caliper it makes a air rush kinda,,,, i dunno but its friigin anoying. what should i do?
Old 01-18-2007, 06:55 PM
05 TL Silver, 6spd, Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem and i can't figure it out at all. It is quite aggrevating.
I have a fujita cold air intake .. Dealer at first said it was my intake. So I double checked my install, and it is really solid. Nothing moves. It is more common on the front left wheel and sounds like it may be CV related? like the joint is not solid? Any news on this problem? Mine is exactly the same thing, after I let off the clutch in reverse or drive, going slow.. straight or turning, doesn't matter.