Flashing CEL with multiple misfires

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flashing CEL with multiple misfires

ok so i just had some work done on mt 2003 acura tl. i took it to the shop to get
the belt and pump replaced. Before this though, i had a misfire in one of my cylinders. Now, after the work was done i was driving my car and noticed it was jerking and working hard to speed up also the cel was blinking. i took the car to jiffy lube to get a trouble code check and it showed 6 codes.they suggested a tune up since the codes were misfires in nearly all of my cylinders. the shop told me they put in new spark plugs so i decided that im going to do the coil test and try to find which cylinder coil or coils or wires are causing the problem. before i do this though, i would like to know if this info is accurate and that i am searching in the right direction. Also i know driving on a flashing cel is bad but this car is my daily and i need to get to work some how. would it be ok to drive? i know im going to get a low fuel economy.

Last edited by makaminski; 11-27-2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-27-2013, 05:56 PM
Banned

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts
blinking check engine light will over time destroy your cat
you could have issues with fuel injectors
also out of adjustment valves will cause this problem
first check exactly which cylinder is missfiring
then swap coils around to see if the miss fire moves
if it does then change the coil if it doesnt i would start with a valve adjustment
The following users liked this post:
makaminski (11-28-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acrdr
blinking check engine light will over time destroy your cat
you could have issues with fuel injectors
also out of adjustment valves will cause this problem
first check exactly which cylinder is missfiring
then swap coils around to see if the miss fire moves
if it does then change the coil if it doesnt i would start with a valve adjustment
i have taken that into consideration.My dad claims its because the shop might have misaligned the belt by a tooth or two.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Angry Flashing CEL......

Originally Posted by makaminski
ok so i just had some work done on mt 2003 acura tl. i took it to the shop to get the belt and pump replaced. Before this though, i had a misfire in one of my cylinders.

Now, after the work was done i was driving my car and noticed it was jerking and working hard to speed up also the cel was blinking. i took the car to jiffy lube to get a trouble code check and it showed 6 codes.they suggested a tune up since the codes were misfires in nearly all of my cylinders.

the shop told me they put in new spark plugs so i decided that im going to do the coil test and try to find which cylinder coil or coils or wires are causing the problem.

Also i know driving on a flashing cel is bad but this car is my daily and i need to get to work some how. would it be ok to drive? i know im going to get a low fuel economy.
Hey Makaminski, assuming that ya had the T-belt service done at a reputable shop, just take it back and have them trouble-shoot the problem. They should've never left the car out of the shop with the symptons you're presently describing. Ya undoubtebly paid the shop some good money for the job and deserve a follow up IMO.
makaminski (11-28-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Makaminski, assuming that ya had the T-belt service done at a reputable shop, just take it back and have them trouble-shoot the problem. They should've never left the car out of the shop with the symptons you're presently describing. Ya undoubtebly paid the shop some good money for the job and deserve a follow up IMO.
1) can I drive it there or drive it in general and 2) I'd rather do it myself for their level of work was just embarrasing I mean I had to put the bar and engine covers back on myself but if its something expensive I'd rather take it back
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
If your uncomfortable about driving it back don`t. Call the shop and tell them the problem and that you think the car is undrivable in it`s current state. If it`s your daily driver IDK what to tell you, but definitely call the shop.
makaminski (11-28-2013)
Old 11-28-2013, 04:34 AM
Cruisin'

At this point I'm thinking if you want it done right do it your self. Ill replace coils and test out plugs and go from there
Old 11-28-2013, 07:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Have the codes read. Pull a plug and make sure that it's a new "NGK". Buy one coil and try to isolate the misfiring cylinder.
Check the "DIY"s and other threads concerning this.

But, ya may want to consider contacting the shop and see what they have to say.
makaminski (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

Have the codes read. Pull a plug and make sure that it's a new "NGK". Buy one coil and try to isolate the misfiring cylinder.
Check the "DIY"s and other threads concerning this.

But, ya may want to consider contacting the shop and see what they have to say.
I got misfires in the 3 5 and 6 cylinders with another code for multiple misfires I took it to the shop and they said it was my motor mount causing the engine to shake and that's why my lights coming on and off
Old 11-29-2013, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Motor mounts broken can cause a lot of issues for the car including engine shake. I am a little skeptical about there diagnosis though.

Did they quote you a price for the motor mounts?
makaminski (12-01-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Whatever is causing the "Misfire" codes is the reason for a CEL.

The shaking and shit is a result of the motor misfiring primarily, then of course it's being intensified by worn or bad mounts.
Ya need another mechanic, IMO.

What lights are blinking ....going off and on ? Ya may have an electrical issue.
makaminski (12-01-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Flashing CEL means is happening at the moment. A bad coil is the likely cause, To check them start the engine and unplug the connector on the coil one at a time as you unplug listen for a difference in the way the engine idles, if when you unplug one and theres no difference thats the bad one and its not contributing.

Heres a video on it if your having a hard time understanding
makaminski (11-30-2013)
Old 11-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
Flashing CEL means is happening at the moment. A bad coil is the likely cause, To check them start the engine and unplug the connector on the coil one at a time as you unplug listen for a difference in the way the engine idles, if when you unplug one and theres no difference thats the bad one and its not contributing.

Heres a video on it if your having a hard time understanding How To Perform A Power Balance Test - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube

Thank you for the videos ill use it when I do the tests but I took the car to another mechanic (certified this time) and he said it is because the timing could have been done right is this true
Old 11-30-2013, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Flashing CEL....

ok so i just had some work done on mt 2003 acura tl. i took it to the shop to get the belt and pump replaced. Before this though, i had a misfire in one of my cylinders.

Now, after the work was done i was driving my car and noticed it was jerking and working hard to speed up also the cel was blinking. the shop told me they put in new spark plugs so i decided that im going to do the coil test and try to find which cylinder coils are causing the problem.

.....So, have ya tried checking the coils yet ?

It appears as though the mechanics you're consulting .....have differences in their diagnosis of the misfiring issue.
I still think that the original shop that did the T-belt service owes ya a followup !!!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:20 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
Motor mounts broken can cause a lot of issues for the car including engine shake. I am a little skeptical about there diagnosis though.

Did they quote you a price for the motor mounts?
They did not give me a quote but I did not really ask
Old 12-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Whatever is causing the "Misfire" codes is the reason for a CEL.

The shaking and shit is a result of the motor misfiring primarily, then of course it's being intensified by worn or bad mounts.
Ya need another mechanic, IMO.

What lights are blinking ....going off and on ? Ya may have an electrical issue.
My cel is blinking and my tcs is on that's it the car shakes but after 50 mph it stops and operates nicely
Old 12-01-2013, 04:19 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
If its not the coils then the timing was not done right One tooth off is all it takes. Since it has a miss on all cylinders the more you drive it the worse in the long run. Take it back to that shop and demand they check all 3 timing points if I were you.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Thumbs down shoddy repair work.....

I'd rather do it myself for their level of work was just embarrasing
I mean I had to put the bar and engine covers back on myself but if its something expensive I'd rather take it back

T-belt replacement requires precision mechanical expertise.

.......if the motor was showing a "misfire code" prior to the work, and the old plugs were replaced with new NGK's, and the code's are still on after resetting the CEL.....ya need to eliminate the coils as a problem causing the present misfiring condition. It's not good to operate your car as is. What does the shop who done the T-belt have to say ?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
So, have you checked the ignition coils yet?!
3.2TLc (12-04-2013)