Fixing my Healight Ballast tomorow! Need advice :-)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:51 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixing my Healight Ballast tomorow! Need advice :-)

Hi, well.... here is the thing...

My driver side HID light went out, due to condensation that was in it.... and I was putting it of to have it fixed. Not to mention, when I have bought it, the dealer assured me that it will be fine, since the Unit is protected... what he meant, I have no clue.... now I know that it was all bull@#$*%! sorry very frusrated.

I took of my bumper yesterday just to make sure that my ballast was the one that went out by swapping it with the passanger side... sure enough that was the problem. So I have ordered a BALLAST+Ignitor from ebay for bout 200 and with shipping and all that 230.

I've noticed that the driver side ballast had rust on the bottom along the edges of the ballast where it is put together.... so did the passenger side as well.

My question is.... would it be smart to use some sillicon to seal it.... I am not talking about where the ignitor is being plugged in, but the bottom edges where the top housing and the bottom housing are connecting.

Also, I am unable to see from where the headlight housing is leaking from. I thought about just using a thin layer of sillicon around the lines where the lens is connecting to the black housing. I am incomfortable using the baking technique, I am very tight on money right now.... and can't afford to break the headlight housing.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:22 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
my ballast also has some rust on it. its gonna happen. not much you can do. o and dont make a thread with a link to this thread. sooner or later someone will answer. give ppl some time. we got other things to do besides being on this forum all the time.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajca
my ballast also has some rust on it. its gonna happen. not much you can do. o and dont make a thread with a link to this thread. sooner or later someone will answer. give ppl some time. we got other things to do besides being on this forum all the time.
sorry... did not know where to post.... since I seen people post their issues even on non specific forums as well....

Well, I've been reading how water is gettin to the ballast between the bottom end of the headlight and the bumper...

So, I am not sure how hot the ballast gets.... but was wondering if just applying a thins layers of sillicon around the line where the housing is connected is wise.... dont want it to get to hot and start smookin or anything.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless your bumper has some serious sag issues, leave it alone. The problem is not due to the bumper, it was due to the fact that one of your headlights had a bad seal, and then the condesation would finally leave the headlight in form of water onto the ballast. That is why it went out. So simply replacing the ballast is not going to do anything but bandaid the problem. You need to fix your leaky headlight. No silicone required.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:30 AM
USDM -> JDM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
its all about your headlight not being throughly sealed... i ordered new OEM headlights and going to reopen my bad headlight housing and paint it black it out then reseal how the factory sealed it and seal it again on the outside...