Different codes for transmission....please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:25 PM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Different codes for transmission....please help

I truly need help with this situation I am in concerning my 03 TL. Last summer I had the tranny rebuilt after it went out. During the fall of last year I would get this clicking noise, but everything seemed fine. I took it back...no engine light, and the mechanic told me to document it. Well, surprisingly it didn't happen too much more after that. Well, last week my engine light came on and I took it to advance auto to get the codes. Both were transmission codes, but I didn't initially write them down. Surprisingly, after I left the store the light went off and didn't come back on until Saturday while taking my kid to her soccer game. Not only did the light come on, it started slipping badly. The tcs light came on and the d5 light started blinking. I couldn't reverse and could only drive in d4. I took it to the guy who rebuilt it and today got a response. He first stated that he drove it and it seemed fine. He said sometimes when you turn it off and cut it back on it resets itself. He then said he checked the stick and no burning or black stick. I told him I didn't think I drove it enough for the fluid to be black. He said he came up with the code p0700. Which may point to my control panel. I asked him if it would be drivable if my tranny was going out. He stated that if it was slipping it just wouldn't start driving fine all of a sudden. It would continue to slip. I then ask to drive it and went to the local autozone to get their codes. They were 0740, 0730, 0706, 0705, and 0700. The guy at the counter told me they could all be related to 1 or 2 problems. The light stayed on, but it drove fine the entire time without slipping. I'm not sure if it had to get hot first, but it seemed fine.

Question 1...is my tranny going back out again?
Question 2...could it truly just be a sensor problem?
Q3...how hard and how much to change the control panel?
Q4... Would the car be drivable once it starts to slip?
Q5...why would the engine light come in then go off just to come back on suddenly?

Please help!!! I hope I do not have more tranny issues because my warranty is up an I don't want to spend anymore money than I have to spend. If no one answers I will bump.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
slipping is caused by worn out clutches,
that should not be a prob on a recent rebuild
BUT
a 3 ounce sample of atf to blackstone labs with 25 bucks will tell you what the Mass Spectrometer finds in the fluid--clutch material ,bearing material,,along with a human diagnosis of findings

multi codes are just clues- not a diagnosis and often false!
any momenetary sensor deviation will trigger a CEL and store a code
Bad battery cables-ground wires can cause problems

the codes do not magically clear or erase themself with the key
you have to do it by disconnecting power -ie batt neg cable, or best way is pull the CLOCK fuse on passenger end of dash for a minute- secret backup power to the ecu- clears codes and reset- forces self test of systems

each gearset/shaft has a clutch pack, 2nd 3rd 4th,,and shares its shaft with another gear
5th with 2nd iirc as example- allowing you to use D4 and drive the car!
and why R wont work

it takes 30 minutes or more for EXCESS free floating clutch material to clog the torque converter outlet screens= loss of pressure = no engagement of gear,,slipping

Does it slip in gear or changing gears?

the flashing D5 is typically the death warning,,,but its really odd for you with low miles on rebuild
was it run on honda dw1 atf?
was it ever changed after rebuild?

google the codes and list them back on this thread..we can help more from there
It was a holiday for many today,,cant expect instant results on a free forum~

ever find out what that noise was? bad cv axle bearing? or inside the trans?
that oil test will tell if any bearing type issues

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 10-09-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
if you documented a problem during warranty with the place that did the work,,your warranty limit gets some leeway--

that oil sample may reveal a faulty rebuild, so they would be on the hook for a trans

what color is the fluid,,, does it smell like atf, or burnt sugar?