Check this out low battery possibly related to tranny issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 10:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check this out low battery possibly related to tranny issue

OK here is the deal i am having. I have a 2000 TL With 128,*** miles on it. I had the tranny rebuilt @ 124,000. I was having some problems with the tranny not shifting into 3rd gear when i stomp on the gas. The rpm's shoot up and the rev limiter kicks in, so I took it to the shop where i got it done at they told me that since i have installed a Stereo system which consist of pioneer deck, 1400 watt amp and a kicker L5 15" solobaric. they told me that the reason was of this was Because i need a Bigger battery. Would this cause my tranny to act up i think not. Please help with your opinons. I want to ring there necks because i thinks there full of shit and there isnt anything i can do about it till monday. PLEASE I NEED ADVICE. Is it possible low voltage battery could do that????
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 111 Likes on 100 Posts
That just sounds like a load of crap. Wtf does voltage have to do witha tranny shifting? My mustang wouldn't down shift when i accelerated when I first got the tranny rebuilt, apparently there's a cable on that car that controlled this and it wasn't connected right.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:36 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
are you downshifting or upshifting 3rd by stomping the gas? in D5?
if it revs like the clutch is slipping,,thats likely internal
but the possibility always exist a sensor isnt getting good signal

How does it drive with mid throttle, not stomping

The stereo wont be a factor when its turned off!
What happens then and you hit the gas?

The TL alt is good for up to ~600 watt systems, above that you would
install a larger battery for extreme power- full volume use, or playing when parked
and not kill the battery

Get to a parts store for a free charging system test, they can run it at load and no load (stereo in use/off) to test alt and battery condition
How old is your battery?
Never hurts to test it and clean the cable connections
Many are replacing the cables now--crud grows inside and weak power or ground...
Old 08-27-2011, 03:39 AM
Team Owner

does Vtec work?
did they give that diagnosis over the phone,, at 5pm friday?
do they sell batteries??
Old 08-27-2011, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

The tranny is good at mid throttle. I only drive in D5 When it slips at hard exceleration ill slap it into D3 and it will kick in.I feel like kicken in the guys teeth at the shop dicking me around i think he is full of shit. No they dont sell battteries there. Battery is hella old and i've jump statred it like 5 times within 2 weeks. IM NOT SURE IF V-TECH WORKS I HIGHLY DOUBT IT BECAUSE IT FEELS LIKE MY CAR DOESNT EXCELERATE AS HARD AS IT USE TO 3WEEKS AGO. HOW DO I GO ABOUT DIAGNOSING VTECH. THANKS FOR EVERYONES HELP
Old 08-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Team Owner

accellerate full throttle at 4000 rpm and vtec is obvious if its working or not

So you have a known dead battery and your question is: Does low voltage screw with everything?
YES IT DOES
get a new battery!!!
Im surprised other dash lights and running problems were not mentioned yet?

ask for a `BLEM` blemished battery if budget is a concern
I saved 40 bucks for battery having a broken plastic tie-down tab we dont use on the TL
ck Batteries Plus for good price and excellent service
The following users liked this post:
dcjr (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 555 Likes on 445 Posts
Disconnect the stereo power source, and test the car. If the problem continues, flog the shop. Whatever you do, fix it sooner than later.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

first he has to do what they said- OP already knows of batt problem -has to jump start it!!
the TL simply will not run right on low voltage!
Old 08-27-2011, 05:15 PM

Received 1,016 Likes on 867 Posts
Have you tried using SS to shift???
Old 08-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Low voltage can cause a number of problems. i see low voltage shifting problems all the time. a 12 volt system that drops below say 10.5 volts will cause dependingon the system, not to operate(mainly the shift solenoids in this case.) in turn when your trans is shifting and dosent see the input for the shift it forces the shift to prevent damage.

Change out your battery, run a bigger battery considering your audio set-up.
The following 2 users liked this post by fabricator:
01tl4tl (08-27-2011), dcjr (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
XSPower makes killer batts, get one and if they says your battery isn't powerful enough then you can kick in his teeth becuase he'd be full of it, for sure.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:19 PM
Intermediate

thanks to all will report back monday when the shop opens back up^.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Team Owner

again- dont bother the trans shop- you need a battery plain and simple
If you have to jump the TL several times that should tell you something

You have pro techs here saying low volts will cause your exact problem!

A trip to the auto parts store for a new battery and test system to be sure the alternator didnt get hurt by having to recharge the batt from dead,,several times
Its made to run modest amounts of power as needed all the time,
not super long max effort to recharge from dead,, while running the car too

NEW BATTERY -SYSTEM TEST- TEST DRIVE
if its not fixed then trans shop

When you are really angry and pointing the finger of blame,,3 fingers point back at you
Supposed to be: Wisdom Knowledge and Understanding
but in this case its: Buy A Battery
Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Intermediate

yeah thanks but my car was stuck in the shop for the weeknd. its not like i have the car and going to take it back to them. Picking it up tomorrow.THanks for the help
Old 08-29-2011, 12:47 AM
Team Owner

ahhh didnt realize you left it there--is it at trans shop? or other shop?
Old 08-29-2011, 01:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had tranny shift issues in my 02 accord v6 coupe back in 2008. I thought for sure I was going to need a rebuild- While I was waiting to find a way out-( selling car, or getting a used/rebuilt trans) I found a thread in .net about how these cars have bad GROUNDS !!! So I check out the grounding kit prices, all about 125-145 each kit. So since I couldnt afford it, I made my own kit, consisting of 5 cables, 2 gauge monster,
and 2 heavyduty copper lugs for each cable ,( made by standard )
I used a commercial crimper, and made a cable for battery grnd to frame, frame to trans, trans to body, body to engine( frnt head ) and one on ps of engine by support to body- and using audio grade battery terminals with allen wrench screws. Result- My trans shift issues are gone since this modification- BOTH Honda tech mechanics I know have no clue about this ground issue- and cant believe how this worked. I will send you pics if you need loc of cables on my engine. Honda hasnt made this issue to their TECHS!!
but it saved my Butt.. ( my vin was clear of issues according to Honda of America, not part of their class action lawsuit) upgrade your batt terminals and grounds to 2 gauge, positive cable in good shape- and last thing to consider is getting an oddysey alternator with higher output.( I also use an underdrive crank pulley by Unorthodox Racing, which was installed since 2007.)

Last edited by silverbullitt; 08-29-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Intermediate

at the trans shop In Elkgrove, Called ATCO TRANSMISSIONS which i do not recommendbad service all the way around. anyways on my way there now will report back.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

OK so i go to the shop with the new battery I picked up a duralast gold top 800 cold cranking amp and 1000 cranking amp. anyways slap it in there go for a test drive Still does the same thing acts as if there is no passing gear when i stomp on the gas. then we hooked up this high tech snap on scanner/computer and it shows that My TPS Sensor some times does not go up in load or voltage what ever you would want to call it when the car accelerates. So he pointed it out some times it does some times it doesnt. What do you all think about it.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:53 PM
Team Owner

just for fun do the idle relearn procedure after new battery
since the ecu has reset itself and you have driven it, pull the CLOCK fuse and insert

turn everything off- no radio, lights, door open, ac, nothing

start engine hold at 3000 rpm until fan cycles
then idle 5 minutes, time when fan is running during idle doesnt count,,add extra minute as needed

ck the terminals on the TPS throttle positon sensor for clean and tight
clean the TB air plate with carb cleaner or deep creep--
remove the snorkel tube from TB to air filter box--- to access air plate inside TB

GURU'S
TPS is located on the TB? yes? is it using air plate movement as its messure?
Diagram Experts--part location?? price?

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 08-29-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

Did that when i put the new batt in.Check this out thou so i drive back home about 45 min of driving park car. Get back in the car about an hour later drive for about 20min head back home parked it. 3 hours later i hop in a go to start it nothing at all no turn over no click nothing. Had a buddy jump me car starts, I Go over to autozone to have my alternator checked. Couldnt get it checked out cuz when i went to start it same problem. They checked the batt and it was full charged. I even Had the batt exchanged even thou i just bought it hours ago brandnew. So i put the new battery in and same thing. The only way it would start again was my buddy jumping me again so i go home and park it same shit. I checked all my connections all good and clean.what is weird is on the negative top post terminal there was hella corsion from just driving around for a few hours and yes i cleaned them before i put the new batt in. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Team Owner

replace your battery cables,,I bet if you exposed the wire inside it will be corroded

ask the parts store where the vents are on your battery,,on top near post?
I described my situation before about that crud buildup quickly on neg terminal
If your alternator is putting out massive quantities of amperage, it can cook a battery in short order = excess gas output

Get it running and to the parts store,,take buddy for jump as needed
but a new set of cables should solve this problem
Old 08-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Intermediate

cleaned the terminals really good with some pepsi from my fridge lol put them back on and the car fired up. Im going to order some battery cables from acura Both negative and positive. its going to run me 135.00 bucks but you were rite i exposed the wires and quite a bit of crud build up. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

geez $135 ,,who has experience with aftermarket cables?
can they be made to do a shorter run, more direct? thats insane cost!
are the OE cables several feet long?

for quick cleaning I guess soda works but leaves a mess
hot water in a cup, add baking soda for better effect, and dip the ends of the cables in them as a normal service
For those with ongoing fast crud buildup on terminal, thats a battery venting issue and its eating your cables inside
Mine cleaned up a bit, but can tell they need replacement

Who has used aftermarket parts on this job? prices tips
Is this already in the DIY?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Team Owner

dont forget to ck our many dealers and tim@ wherever he went,, who sell acura parts at a discount to us
see Vendor list next to log out box
will beat local prices in most cases and include the shipping right to your door

a few messages or calls can save $?$
Old 08-30-2011, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

FRUSTRATED!! I went to autozone and had them do a test on my alternator. End result was that My alternator failed the test its only running at 50%. FML. What would you do first Alternator or batt cables?
Old 08-31-2011, 05:41 AM
Team Owner

you KNOW you have weak cables and that is causing you other problems and false code type issues
may show alt as not putting out correctly either
Did they attach tester direct to alt or thru the bad battery cables?

other option is remove alt and take in for a bench test to be certain
Old 08-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Team Owner

most times when its alt, the diode went bad or the brushes wore out

both will disable the alt, not leave it running 50%

did you tell the person at zone about the crud in cables?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:28 AM
Intermediate

They tested it threw the batt. i informed the guy that there was crud build up in my cables and he said it wouldnt make a difference lol i was not convinced anyways i guess i will take it out and have them bench test it. thanks for all your help. god these TL's are frustrating at times but i do love mine. AND OF COURSE GO WITH DENSO BRAND CORRECT. NOT SOME DURALAST BRAND THAT AUTOZONE OFFERS.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:44 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
For battery cables, take all of your stock cables out and measure them. Go to autzone and buy either 2 or 4 gauge (stock is 8 gauge) battery cables. Make sure you have plenty of ring connectors and open ended connectors. The longest cable goes from your postive to your fuse box on the passenger side. I changed all of mine in about 2-3 hours and did all the grounds at the same time. Change the cable that goes from your alt. to your batt while your at it and you should have your problem 100% solved and you just completed the BIG 3 at the same time, which will make your car electronics, stereo, lights, etc function better and believe it or not will improve your throttle response.

Cables at Autozone and connector kit cost me around $40-60 I think and is far superior to OEM.
The following users liked this post:
01tl4tl (08-31-2011)
Old 08-31-2011, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

can you throw us a pic of yours?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:42 PM
Intermediate

well this morning i took off my negative battery cables and cleaned the shit out of them with some battery cleaner and a good ole wire brush. looked brand new put them back on and took it to a different place to have my alternator checked. The alternator IS GOOD!! And car seems to be responding better to shifts and throttle response. THANKS TO ALL
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 AM
Team Owner

the ends of the cables are not the problem, even soaking the wires first few inches in a cup of liquid doesnt go far enough,,
compare that to poking the egr ports versus cleaning the length of the manifold,,,

the crud is INSIDE, deep inside the covering... eating away at the wires

resistance is not futile- its an electrical problem!

but you keep that can of soda nearby~
Old 05-27-2018, 07:20 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by silverbullitt
I had tranny shift issues in my 02 accord v6 coupe back in 2008. I thought for sure I was going to need a rebuild- While I was waiting to find a way out-( selling car, or getting a used/rebuilt trans) I found a thread in .net about how these cars have bad GROUNDS !!! So I check out the grounding kit prices, all about 125-145 each kit. So since I couldnt afford it, I made my own kit, consisting of 5 cables, 2 gauge monster,
and 2 heavyduty copper lugs for each cable ,( made by standard )
I used a commercial crimper, and made a cable for battery grnd to frame, frame to trans, trans to body, body to engine( frnt head ) and one on ps of engine by support to body- and using audio grade battery terminals with allen wrench screws. Result- My trans shift issues are gone since this modification- BOTH Honda tech mechanics I know have no clue about this ground issue- and cant believe how this worked. I will send you pics if you need loc of cables on my engine. Honda hasnt made this issue to their TECHS!!
but it saved my Butt.. ( my vin was clear of issues according to Honda of America, not part of their class action lawsuit) upgrade your batt terminals and grounds to 2 gauge, positive cable in good shape- and last thing to consider is getting an oddysey alternator with higher output.( I also use an underdrive crank pulley by Unorthodox Racing, which was installed since 2007.)
can you upload pictures of the engine location for the cables.