Car shakes under accel @ 45-55mph - aligned/balanced/new ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car shakes under accel @ 45-55mph - aligned/balanced/new ball joints

Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with my car: it shakes between 45-55mph.

Here's what I've done so far: I had the tires balanced. I also replaced the upper ball joint(camber kit) and lower ball joint on both sides of the car. I also replaced the side motor mount (the one on the passenger side). Then finally had it aligned since I wanted to adjust the camber.

I noticed that when i'm in that speed range, if i accelerate lightly, i will barely notice the shaking. However, the more my throttle is open, the HARDER it shakes. For example, I will be in 5th gear, and I lighty accelerate, I will beraly feel the car shake. As soon as I stomp the pedal, even if i'm not accelerating "hard", just the fact that my throttle is wide open makes the car shake like CRAZY. As soon as I let go of the gas, the vibration is gone.

I've also tried to pop it in neutral in that speed range and rev the engine, but it didnt shake at all, so it doesn't look like a bad front motor mount.

Have any of you had this issue before? I'm thinking of bringing in to the dealer and have them figure it out, but i'm scared it might cost me a fortune worth of "diagnostic".

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:35 AM
FamusTLX

Hey I'm had the same problem after I had my car tires rotated within the last week. I took it to a tire shop and had them balance the tires within 0.00 to 0.15. They told me unless your going 175km/h you won't feel anything. Get your tires balance first to see it will solve your problem, its by far the cheapest method unless you can get the dealer to give you a free balance. They should since you bought the car there. Also when you balancing the tires had them check the suspension components in the front (i.e. upper/lower ball joints, bushings stabilizer links etc) to see if anything is a mist....

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

CV axle shafts.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:01 AM
Racer

same exact thing. cant figure it out. new shocks up front, rotors, tires rotated... still vibrates at like 50mph. ?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same problem. Conventional (spin) or computer balancing did not resolve the problem. I had the tires road force balanced for about $60. That solved the problem. Google "Hunter road force" to find an independent that has this equipment.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:05 PM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
also if you're only getting it under accerleration, then you may have engine stuff. I had an '00Accord V6 that did that. Then my buddy bought it and after 3 months one of his coils failed. So it may be that. Tires get flat spotted too. If this is the case the problem will diminish after driving for a bit.
So when you drive, do you relate it explicitly to speed or is it related to RPM's.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Resident Ford Tech

get them road-forced i see all the time at my dealership...new cars sit on the lot for months, tires get flat spotted, warrenty out the tires...its bullshit. You might also have a bad axle...
Old 06-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

i have the same problem, but believe its the cv axle shafts also...is there any way to pin point if its the driver or passenger side?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:56 PM
/etc/car

Originally Posted by lostchild83
Here's what I've done so far: I had the tires balanced. I also replaced the upper ball joint(camber kit) and lower ball joint on both sides of the car. I also replaced the side motor mount (the one on the passenger side). Then finally had it aligned since I wanted to adjust the camber.
You're still having this problem?

It's the half axle and CV joint. At this point, just take it to the dealership.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:16 AM
Racer

is there any DIY's on a cv axle? Pretty good with cars, just never had to do this in particular? thanks...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
Instructor

new symptoms!

NEW Symptoms!!!

It looks like when my car is cold, it barely shakes under the circumstances describe in my previous post. For the first 5min or so, it would barely shake.

Once the car is warmed up (ie 5min has past), the shaking would be back.

Could it be my wheel bearings? Or maybe transmission mounts? (not sure if the TL has tranny mounts though)

Anyone would like to share some ideas?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 07-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Cruiser

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm clueless...there have been so many suggestions in reference to this problem that I have just chalked up as a defect in the build.... I haven't tried the cv joint suggestion though, but I tired of trying to figure this thing out.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:32 PM
SixSpeedDreamin'

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey, one of your rims could be slightly bent. We just purchased a 2005 Acura TL and it was supposedly CERTIFIED. We couldn't see any visual defects at all and the car ran strong. Carfax the vehicle and everything. We made them put new tires on the vehicle and then we drove it home. My father and I wanted to OPEN her UP so we get on the highway. Between 50-60mph she was shakin' more than a stripper. Took it back to the Acura dealer and we found out that one of the rims were bent. Thats how we found out that the car wasn't CERTIFIED! Anyway they fired the technician that said the car was certified. That could be your problem, my friend.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:37 AM
Instructor

dealer checked problem

So I brought my car to the dealer to have them check the CV Joints. They said they were fine and the shaking probably comes from the suspensions being too low (I'm on Teins SS). They also said motor mounts are fine and tires are balanced.

How do they explain my car not shaking when it's "cold" and only starts shaking when the car warms up? They said it happens!

Now i'm totally confused, i don't know what is wrong with my car anymore!

I'm thinking it might be because of the wheel bearings? could that cause the shaking?
Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Something is missing...my

not likely.

Bad bearings will make noise. You will not feel shaking.

Don't know what to say About the shaking, sorry.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by lostchild83
So I brought my car to the dealer to have them check the CV Joints. They said they were fine and the shaking probably comes from the suspensions being too low (I'm on Teins SS). They also said motor mounts are fine and tires are balanced.

How do they explain my car not shaking when it's "cold" and only starts shaking when the car warms up? They said it happens!

Now i'm totally confused, i don't know what is wrong with my car anymore!

I'm thinking it might be because of the wheel bearings? could that cause the shaking?
no, wheel bearings shouldnt cause that. suspension, mounts, axle, bent wheel would be the things i would continue to look at
Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
yea mines being doing it forever, i replaced rotors, pads, all the engine mounts and tranny mounts, had the suspension checked out, and still have the shakes b/w 45 - 60, also dont have any problems for the first 5 minutes or so, so i just got used to it lol, i mean its probably not the right answer but at least itll save yourself some stress and aggrivation, im putting my rims back on shortly so i guess thatll answer the bent rim question, still got the stocks on it right now, too lazy and unable to find someone to fix my bent chrome foose's for a decent price, if anyone knows anyone on LI that fixes bent chromes with bends on only the inside of the rim that wont make me pay them for unnecessary rechroming please let me know lol