Another Vibrate under Acceleration issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011 | 08:52 AM
7th Gear

Another Vibrate under Acceleration issue

Hey Guys,

I've read all over the forums and I'm really just trying to get another opinion of what you think is causing this sound (see youtube clip below). It is a sound that I can control completely with the amount of throttle I give the car. If I give it very little throttle it doesn't happen, if I give it alot of throttle it doesn't happen. Only when I give it 15% to 35% or so throttle.

Its bugging me because I have replaced the lower ball joints, the sway bar end links, all four wheel bearings, and both axles (new not reman). I inspected the motor mounts which appear to be fine. I looked around the rolling parts to see if I could see excessive metal on metal rub/vibration and didn't see anything either. (Also don't mind the exhaust sound in the video I have a tiny little exhaust leak I need to address.) I replaced them after the sound/vibration started but it still happens now. It feels to be coming from the drivers side area.

Any help would be nice before I replace the driver side axle again. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pspkYU6CKk8
Old 06-14-2011 | 02:31 PM
Racer

Does it only do it while moving or does it do it at idle too? It really sounds like the exhaust or something is hitting a heat shield
Old 06-15-2011 | 08:47 PM
Original Owner / Oct 1998

Sounds like a cracked heat shield to me, too. The cracks can be subtle, difficult to see.

Buy a few long hose clamps (Home Depot carries them) and clamp the heat shields on tight. Wrap the clamps right around the outside of the heat shields. See if the noise persists (or at least, changes).
Old 06-16-2011 | 09:13 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for the responses, I like two consistent answers. I'll plead my ignorance before I jump under the car, but which heat sheild are we referring to?

The car developed a leak in the exhaust about a year and a half ago and I replaced it with a garbage header/Ypipe setup from ebay. That's where my leak is coming from. The flex piping on the Ypipe basically turned black/brittle and fell off which caused my current leak. However the noise came about a month or two before the crack. However after the crack the noise has become much more common now that I think about it.

I've been up in the air around buying another crappy setup that'll last me another year and a half, or buying original stuff. Just don't want to spend a whole lot since I might end up w/ a new car within a year or two. Does anyone know if the headers and old manifolds are in the same spot? That way I might buy a stock Y-pipe and bolt them up to the headers. If not I'll have to dig up the old manifolds.

Last edited by JamesVaughn3rd; 06-16-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-16-2011 | 10:06 AM
Team Owner

fix the broken pipe first--any noises may be related to that and its a major running issue

PLUS
your own death may result from carbon monoxide entering the cabin!!!!