Air coming from vents even when vents closed

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 02:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air coming from vents even when vents closed

I have this issue with my 03 TL-S. I slide my driver side vent to the closed position, but air is still blowing from there. I have the climate control set to feet only, but that driver side vent still blows air. Any idea how I can actually get it to stop when I close it?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:34 PM
Intermediate

Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2017, 07:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
I have an 03 TLS as well. When I close the vent, using the horizontally positioned air flow selection "wheel", located directly beneath the vent itself, all air flow from that vent is stopped. I have removed that vent assembly, due to louver looseness, which prevented the vent from holding it's vertical position, tightly. Every time i hit a significant bump, the vent louvers would revert to the full down position. Turning the air flow selection wheel to the off position, closes the inside set of vertically positioned louvers, " inner louvers are position vertically, outside louvers, horizontally. Closing the inside set of louvers, blocks the air flow, and should prevent all air from flowing. I suggest you take a flashlight, shine it directly into the vent, and examine exactly what the vent louvers are doing when you move the selection wheel. The vent louvers are the only form of air flow control, therefore, if you still get air flow, in the off position, you have a problem with the louvers. Should you decide to remove the vent assembly, and disassemble it, be very careful, it is somewhat delicate, and difficult to piece back together. One option, you may want to consider, supposing you find an issue with the operation of the inside louvers, would be to visit a local pick and pull, locate a vent that works properly and replace the entire panel. It's a very simple procedure, and can be done in five minutes or less. Also, it's much much easier than trying to repair the vent itself. "Note" Navi and non-Navi panels are different.

Last edited by frankjnjr; 08-02-2017 at 07:21 AM. Reason: to explain there are two sets of louvers.
The following users liked this post:
OTHREETLS (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by frankjnjr
I have an 03 TLS as well. When I close the vent, using the horizontally positioned air flow selection "wheel", located directly beneath the vent itself, all air flow from that vent is stopped. I have removed that vent assembly, due to louver looseness, which prevented the vent from holding it's vertical position, tightly. Every time i hit a significant bump, the vent louvers would revert to the full down position. Turning the air flow selection wheel to the off position, closes the inside set of vertically positioned louvers, " inner louvers are position vertically, outside louvers, horizontally. Closing the inside set of louvers, blocks the air flow, and should prevent all air from flowing. I suggest you take a flashlight, shine it directly into the vent, and examine exactly what the vent louvers are doing when you move the selection wheel. The vent louvers are the only form of air flow control, therefore, if you still get air flow, in the off position, you have a problem with the louvers. Should you decide to remove the vent assembly, and disassemble it, be very careful, it is somewhat delicate, and difficult to piece back together. One option, you may want to consider, supposing you find an issue with the operation of the inside louvers, would be to visit a local pick and pull, locate a vent that works properly and replace the entire panel. It's a very simple procedure, and can be done in five minutes or less. Also, it's much much easier than trying to repair the vent itself. "Note" Navi and non-Navi panels are different.
Thanks for the info! I was thinking something similar, that maybe the vents aren't "closing" even when I turn the "wheel" to close.