Adjusted Brake Switch -> CEL Light On, P1768

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusted Brake Switch -> CEL Light On, P1768

Hi everyone, this is my first post for help....

I have a 2002 TL-S with 130K miles.

Last saturday, my brake lights were not working, so I checked the bulbs which were fine. then I checked the brake switch, it looked okay. So just to be sure, I took it out and then put it back on, the brake light started working. So I adjusted the brake switch so that brake lights turn on as soon as I hit the brakes. so far so good.

After doing this fix, I did not get to drive the car for 2 days.
Then on Monday, I started the car to go to work, the CEL light came up. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts, car did not return any code. Today I took it to AutoZone and I got a code of P1768 the with following:

"Definition:
Pressure control Soleniod valve A circuit fault.
Probable Causes"
1. Low Transmission Fluid level
2. Open or Short circuit condition
3. Poor connection
4. Failed PCS soleniod A"

I searched the forum and it seems to be transmission problem... but the car is running fine with smooth shifting. the tranny was changed at 81K miles as part of the recall.
All I did was adjust the brake switch....

I am not sure, should I take to the dealer that changed the tranny or should I have the code recheck at some other place like Pep boys..??

Any advise / tip is greatly appreciated....
Old 01-22-2009, 09:32 AM
Instructor

clear the code and try driving it around. if it comes on again then i would worry. usually tranny failures wont be preceded by smooth/normal shifting.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The switch had Nothing to do with that code. Pull the clock backup fuse on the passenger side dash fuse panel for 5 min. If hte light comes back on Bring it to the dealer that did the work
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks Kris & rattmann, The light is reset and has not come back on after about 100 miles of driving.. so I hope it was a false alarm...

I am planning to seafoam the car this saturday.. for that I have gone thru almost all the seafoam threads on the forum.... so hopefully I have all the info I need (alongwith 01TL4TL's blessings)
Old 01-23-2009, 07:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Old 02-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Banned

Very strange

I had the same exact situation on my 2002 TL. It just happened this last week. I had the issue with the shifter not wanting to move out of park and the brake lights were not working - so I bought a new brake light switch which also fixed the shift-lock issue on the tranny.

But as as soon as my son put on the new brake switch - the car started but ran very roughly (shaking) and the CEL came on. The TCS was also on for a short while. A day later - the CEL was still on - and I put a bottle of Gumout in the tank and filled it up with BP premium (usually run 89 in it).

Then I took it out for several drives - some of it on the expressway where I could really hit the pedal hard - it seemed to start running much smoother (not sure if the Gumout or high test was kicking in).

Then today, the CEL went out and it seems to be running fine! I was going to try cleaning the throttle body and IACV - but now it's running normal so I don't want to mess with it.

I guess it's coincidence that this started for me like it did Picky (i.e. right after the brake switch was replaced). I was actually on my way to Autozone when the CEL went out - so I turned around and went back home. So I don't know the codes or anything. I plan to just keep an eye on it - maybe run another bottle of Gumout after another 3k miles and keep using 91 octane for awhile. I have almost 90k on it and my tranny was replaced Sept 2007 under the extended warranty.

Does this make sense to anyone? I know some posters are saying Seafoam can help with these issues if they are related to carbon buildup. Is it possible the Gumout fuel treatment cleaned up my system and that's why the CEL went out?