99 TL New engine mount not working??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 TL New engine mount not working??

Hello all,

I am new to the site and have searched the internet near and far for the answer to this question:

I replaced my side and front motor mounts yesterday. I replaced the transmission mounts aswell. The reason I changed them is because when you put the car in drive at idle there is a a ton of vibration. I have read many many post that the engine mounts were the cause of this. The side, front and transmission mounts were all damaged. However, after changing everything there is abslutely no dffrence in the vibration.

I might have done something wrong when I installed the front mount. Was I supposed to put fluid in the mount? If not how do you check to see if fluid is going to the mount?

Any help would be appreciated. I was under the car for 6 hours and there is nothing more annoying then replacing a bunch of parts and not fixing the problem! Please Help!!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Question Motor mounts.............?

Hey FFRyan78, so you replaced all of your mounts .....except for the rear one ! The original mounts for the front and rear were of a vacuum assisted hydraulic design specific to the TL. You can purchase cheaper aftermarket mounts which don't have these features. If you used a non-vac assist on the front, then you need to plug the vac line at the source. The side and tranny mounts are of conventional style.

Before you jump to conclusions.....especially when all the mounts were shot, then what you really need to consider is to replace the "rear" mount. .....because chances are that it's as bad as the rest !!!!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts
If you put in aftermarket mounts, especially non-hydraulic, you will get vibrations on the steering wheel. They stop once you drive. This is normal.

But actually....this is not a good method to check for bad mounts. You need to put on the parking brake, get an assistant to put their left foot on the brake, put the car in Drive, and gently blip the gas pedal to torque the engine against the engine mounts. Look in the engine bay. If the engine is moving back & forth more than an inch or so, the mounts are bad. In your case, the rear mount is definitely bad if the other 2 original ones were bad. It must be changed or risk killing your new mounts in a year or so.

You don't install fluid in any mounts you purchase. You either buy hydraulic assist ones (with fluid in them) or non-hydraulic.

What kind of mounts did you install? What brand?