99 TL - Leaking oil pump housing

Old 01-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
99 TL - Leaking oil pump housing

I have a 1999 TL that has had a slow oil pump housing leak (as diagnosed by the Acura dealer) for at least 40 or 50,000 miles. The car currently has 251,000 miles. Has anyone on the forum changed out an oil pump housing seal for a 99 Acura TL? If so, do you know the part number and how easy/hard was the fix? The main reason I want to change out the seal is because it leaks oil onto the lower portion of the engine and onto the hot exhaust pipe which leads to a burning oil smell after the car is put in the garage after a drive. The amount the car burns/loses from the oil leak is less than 1 quart in 5000 miles. Thanks in advance for any response.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
https://youtu.be/X1NmtKNCU70 - Here is a link to a YouTube video, which is mainly photos of the repair to an Acura TL oil pump housing seals (It is a repair of a 2008 TL - not a 2gen - but is likely similar). The oil pump housing cover has a few seals and the rest is sealed with Hondabond.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Try Blue Devil stop leak first. It is added to you oil and works to expand shrunken o-rings. Fixed my oil pump housing leak for the past two years. Available at O'reillys, Walmart, web site, etc.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just changed the oil pump seal and the oil pump o-ring while doing my timing belt in November on my 1999 TL with 210,000 miles for the same reason you're mentioning - really slow leak (a few drops a night). After taking out the timing belt I had to drop the exhaust and the oil pan and the auto tensioner in order to get the oil pump out. This was my first time using honda bond so it took me two tries to get it installed correctly and I'm still not sure I got it perfect since there was still a small leak when I was done but it could be from something else nearby. The thing is, you don't know if it's done correctly until everything is put back together and you're back to driving the car again.

If you decide to go on with the repair yourself I'm happy to walk you through it on this thread although my initial advice would be that unless you REALLY know what you're doing (this was my first repair of this magnitude and I've changed a clutch and done a valve adjustment) and have some time (took me about 20-30 hours) I'd live with the leak until something worse happens.

Search this Thread