2003 Tl-s transmission rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012 | 05:43 PM
9th Gear

2003 Tl-s transmission rebuild?

Just bought an 03 type s. the next day the tranny went out. It in the shop getting getting rebuilt. I bought a warranty with the car but they would not replace because they said it was pre-existing. I'm worried about the rebuilt tranny that it may not last very long. I've tried explaining to the shop the importance of the 3rd and 4th gear sensors as well as the ATF without being too much of a pain in the ass. Is there something else I can do to help make it last longer. BTW, the warranty company has been called to inspect the work so they cannot back out again if it fails again in the next 3 years. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2012 | 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Bliner1, congrats on the lousy bum deal !

You bought a TL, only to have the tranny take a dump the next day ?

Adding salt to injury, you even had a mechanical warranty which you paid extra for !

WTF....Did you purchase the car at a bargain price...as is, or did you forget to test drive ?
Old 09-22-2012 | 10:55 PM
Team Owner

3/4 sensors = shift seleniods--they will clean or replace,,normal procedure
new filter- normal to replace

using the good kevlar clutches= is all they can do,, besides put it together right
tolerances and torques set right

Make SURE they use only honda dw1 atf 7.3 qts
NOTE dextron3 will kill trans!-forbidden by acura!

fluid level should be right` between the dots` on dipstick at 15 minute freeway drive and ck level

tell us more about pre-existing condition???--we can help you with most insurance company bs.
seller can have no idea of problem,,only goes around town on short trips
and blown trans the next day --when driven more than 45 minutes by a happy new owner~

register with acura at 1 800 382 2238x5 ask if recalls are done
and www.owners.acura.com for free download of operator handbook
lots of tricks to the TL,,right down to seat heat operations!

welcome to the ziner family
Old 09-22-2012 | 11:38 PM
B A N N E D

sometimes you gotta pray you get a good one or pray that ya got a good one. Only Dw-1 is the rule of the game and your only key.
Old 09-23-2012 | 12:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by HondaProtegeX2.3
sometimes you gotta pray you get a good one or pray that ya got a good one. Only Dw-1 is the rule of the game and your only key.

And even then, you never know what tomorrow will bring !
Old 10-10-2012 | 11:51 PM
9th Gear

Yes I test drove. It was awesome and drove like an animal, even on damp roads traction was awesome. I paid a fair price for it. 99k and in mint condition other than a couple small nicks in the paint. The dealer was the only one that helped. more later on that. I contacted warranty company next day. They sent an inspector. He said trans was toast along with the shifter cable and the starter. The starter? I said to myself "I hope they know you cant start a car in Drive" . which the car was. I over-rode the shifter to move the lever into park so I could get the key out. Anyway, warranty co. said no-deal. this was pre-existing.

Went back to dealer to gather info about where they got the car. They said they only purchased cars from a company that sold cars in good mechanical condition. The owned said he would check with them. Owner called back and said he would pay half to rebuild. Fine .best deal yet

Had tranny rebuilt (2 weeks) .drove for a week and now tranny will not engage 1st gear occasionally when slowly idling or coasting as in rush hour traffic. Took it back to the shop yesterday. The owner was as stand-up as I could hope. He appologized. Said that (I forgot what he called the part) the part he thinks is fauly was inspected during rebuild but they obviously made a mistake. They are tearing it down again tomorrow and fixing. Will probably be atleast a week...probably 2.

On a side note, they did use honda fluid, but overfilled. I checked dipstick per the manual and it was 3/8 inch above the top dot. I told the owner of the shop this an he said that would not cause this. I will definitely check this first thing when I get it back.

I love this car , even though it has put me through hell for 6 weeks now. The good news is that this kind of luck follows me everywhere. If anyone is loooking for Murphy, he's on my back right next to the monkey. I'm somewhat used to this kind of disappointment. I'm just hoping that once it is finally fixed, I will not have to worry for a few years and I can save for an accord tranny. Thanks for listening
Old 10-11-2012 | 12:04 AM

HA! Ive got almost 95,000 on a Custom Rebuilt Original Design trans That I cant make to bite the dust! Being driving like nuts on SS and Still it wont let go (I have an Accord V6 Trans waiting to be Swapped).
I dunno how they are rebuilding yours but seems a Rebuilt trans last 2x the time than a Warranty Replaced Unit (At least for ME)...
The following users liked this post:
bliner01 (10-11-2012)