2003 Acura TL type S- cranks, then dies. code 83-1 ECM failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:08 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Acura TL type S- cranks, then dies. code 83-1 ECM failure

Two weeks ago my car got stuck in park a few different times throughout the day, I'm not exactly sure how i managed to get it unstuck considering i tried multiple things each time. someone said it could be a sensor. A few days ago i was in a rush to get home, skipping the gas station even though i was so close to E. The next morning when i started my car, it died twice while pulling out of my driveway, at first i thought i ran out of gas.. After filling up my tank everything was fine till the next day it did the same thing, every time id go to start my car.. it would crank, then die.. I noticed my inside lights were flickering and my clock n' radio had been reset.. Today after my car died twice in my driveway and once in the middle of the road, my car wouldn't crank any longer and i had to push it out of the road.. A friend of mine ran codes and diagnostic trouble code 83-1 is what came up which is the ECM failure. I found a video showing me how to factory restart my ECM, after attempting it, my car cranked, but then died again.. I'm not sure if i need to replace my entire ECM or what.. please help.

-Starter was changed last year
-Battery is also fairly new
Old 08-18-2016, 07:50 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Carley C Rando
Two weeks ago my car got stuck in park a few different times throughout the day, I'm not exactly sure how i managed to get it unstuck considering i tried multiple things each time. someone said it could be a sensor. A few days ago i was in a rush to get home, skipping the gas station even though i was so close to E. The next morning when i started my car, it died twice while pulling out of my driveway, at first i thought i ran out of gas.. After filling up my tank everything was fine till the next day it did the same thing, every time id go to start my car.. it would crank, then die.. I noticed my inside lights were flickering and my clock n' radio had been reset.. Today after my car died twice in my driveway and once in the middle of the road, my car wouldn't crank any longer and i had to push it out of the road.. A friend of mine ran codes and diagnostic trouble code 83-1 is what came up which is the ECM failure. I found a video showing me how to factory restart my ECM, after attempting it, my car cranked, but then died again.. I'm not sure if i need to replace my entire ECM or what.. please help.

Check out the thread onfuel pump relay. Very common problem.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:35 PM
3rd Gear

okay ill have to check that out, thank you
Old 08-19-2016, 04:57 PM
Pop's Wheels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stuck in park issue could be the shifter solenoid. Just had an issue with mine making a lot of noise, mechanic told me that if it fails I'll be stuck in park.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...rience-755349/
Old 08-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
If you're having electrical problems (lights flickering, clock/radio reset, etc) then don't forget to take a look at your grounds. They're known to go bad.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:10 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 253 Likes on 219 Posts
Sounds to me like a bad ground, If the cables to the battery are good then check the ground bolt for the ECM at the thermostat housing, I have seen these left loose after a transmission swap.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:41 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Carley C Rando

Were you able to fix the problem? Your input would be really helpful man. Thanks