2001 Acura Tl transmission stops engaging

Old 02-11-2018, 10:43 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Acura Tl transmission stops engaging

The problem I am having is strange to me. It shifts great. Will go down the road a little, then all the sudden cut out. If I turn it off and restart it it's fine for a few miles and then I have to do it again and so on. Doesn't seem like transmission since it shifts and restart clears issue.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
This site's search feature is your friend. From your description, the problem MAY be caused by clutch material debris, accumulating in or near the shift solenoid screen filters. Blockage of the transmission fluid flow is one cause of the symptom you describe. When you shut the engine off, transmission line pressure drops, which may allow the debris to fall away from the screen, allowing the transmission to temporarily resume a normal shift pattern,until the screen becomes blocked again. To determine if a blocked screen is the cause, the solenoids must be removed and the screens inspected. If the screens are fouled with debris, a thorough cleaning will temporarily allow the the transmission to shift normally, until such a time as they become blocked again. Finding significant debris in the solenoid screens, is not a good thing, and usually signals the need for a rebuild, or replacement with a Honda AV6 type unit. If you find the screens are not clogged, then your problem is elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:35 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I believe this is a symptom of a failing torque converter.

Pay attention to what speed the problem occurs in, how long you've been driving, if the trans is hot/cold, etc.

Also, at speeds under 40 MPH, try driving in D4. This disables the Torque Converter Lockup Clutch (and prevents 5th). Let us know if this helps.

You should change your transmission fluid. Drain and fill only (3 quarts, 3x, Honda DW-1 only). DO NOT FLUSH THIS TRANSMISSION (consider yourself warned). Also clean the screens on your shift solenoids.

REGARDLESS of what helps you, be warned that your transmission is likely on its way out. If you have a check engine light, post the codes here. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
frankjnjr (02-13-2018)
Old 02-27-2018, 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2003 Acura 3.2 TL also has started exhibiting a similar problem for the past few weeks. So I did a Trans fluid change (after noticing that the old trans fluid was really black) with an local Acura dealer in the GTA.
Now after that change, it runs ok sometimes but every now and then I can see that transmission disengages (i.e. in D5) and I have to shut off the car and then restart it.
My Acura has 365500 KMs on it.

For some reason I believe that the transmission itself is actually OK but just that there still maybe some old crud/sludge in it that maybe causing the problem.

Is there anything 'less costlier' else one can do, other than change the transmission itself.

Thanks in advance