03 tls trunk spring issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
03 tls trunk spring issue

when opening the trunk on my 03 tls, the trunk lid would "pop" up maybe 1/4 of an inch, and once fully open, would easily blow shut if hit by even a mild wind. i have been reluctant to replace the oem trunk torsion rods because they are a pain to work with. yesterday, i found two "after market" trunk assist springs at Walmart for $6.95 and decided to try them. i only installed one, on the passenger side, took less than a minute, using an existing hole as one end of the attaching point, and the torsion rod anchor mount to attach the opposite end. no tools required. tested the trunk operation and it is perfect. opens about 12" by itself and is not easily blown closed due to a gust of wind. i didn't install the driver's side for two reasons, 1. trunk operates exactly the way i want it to with one assist spring. 2. the gps unit would need to be removed to install the driver side and also i was concerned that installing both springs would provide too much spring action. a cheap solution to an annoying issue.
Attached Thumbnails 03 tls trunk spring issue-trunk-spring-mounting-0042016-002.jpg   03 tls trunk spring issue-trunk-spring-mounting-0042016-001.jpg   03 tls trunk spring issue-trunk-spring-02042016-011.jpg  
Old 02-05-2016, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I have the same issue. I will go by Wal-mart and look for these "spring helpers". Let me tell you why you have this issue. I see like myself, you have the factory wing. One of 2 things has taken place, either someone installed the factory wing w/out replacing the stock trunk spring or the dealer added it and saved some money by not replacing the spring. There are (2) part numbers for the factory trunk spring, one with and one without the factory wing. I bought a 2002 Accord w/out a wing and added it after I owned it, and soon realized that it needed the additional support that the other spring offers. After buying my 2003 TL-S with a wing, I soon realized the prior owner did not have the added support spring. Thanks for the info on the cheap fix, tired of holding the trunk open when removing groceries...
Old 02-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
hey groovemaster, i thought that incorrect torsion rods might be the issue at first. however, the rods in my car are "black", which are supposed to be correct for service with the deck lid spoiler. i've looked at several "non spoiler" equipped tl models in the salvage yard, and all have "gray" torsion rods. it appears, the rods weaken after time and even if moved and adjusted to the highest tension setting, they are still ineffective.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
OH. That's some info I was unaware of. Mine are gray, and its obvious when looking at the wiring job that someone did on the brake light that it wasn't a factory installed wing. I will still stop by my Wal mart and see if they have the springs.