03 TL high idle in park and neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 TL high idle in park and neutral

Hey guys,

First post here, have read alot and been doing work to my car routinely. Earlier this week I took apart my IACV and throttle body to clean it and when I put it back together and in my car would rev on its own. I took everything apart again and noticed a broken gasket, replaced it and then the car would idle really high and felt as if it was accelerating on its own. It would get going up about 50km/hr without me touching the gas pedal. I took everything apart again and used Permatex copper gasket sealer to go over all of the gaskets and I took the whole thing apart again and used the permatex plus regular gaskets. Now the idle is stable but at about 2200 rpm. If I turn on my lights and AC it will drop down to about 1500. When I switch into reverse or drive there is quite a thud sound and feel and when I try to drive it won't shift until the rpm are at about 3000-3500 and its a jerky shift.

I sprayed carb cleaner all around where I took everything out and couldn't detect any vacuum leak that way. I also tried adjusting the idle screw, no change. I even unplugged the IACV to try just using the idle screw and still couldn't get it below about 1900. The other interesting thing is that even though its at about 2000rpm it sounds fairly quiet and when I turn the car off and it comes back down to 0 it is very loud.

Any thoughts as to what might be causing it or next steps in troubleshooting?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2017, 05:56 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
You need a new IACV.
Old 07-22-2017, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No way to salvage it you don't think?