***HELP*** FUBAR tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***HELP*** FUBAR tranny...

Like everyone else here, i took my TL in some time ago for the tranny recall around 80-85k miles and it's been great ever since. When i picked up the vehicle i recall the dealership saying that they performed the recall work AND replaced 2nd gear.

**Does it not state that my tranny should of been replaced, because of discoloration?**

My TL is now at 164k and is now a huge 1 ton paperweight in my driveway because of up/down shifting problems. So because the dealership did not properly perform the work, will they cover me for a new tranny?? Im in the process of get a copy of the work order to prove that they did not do the job right. Also, the recall work was performed in Salt Lake City and I now live in California, if the dealership was in the wrong will one out here honor it? Thanks!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
So lets get some more info here. What year do you have- covered by VIN range for the 7/109 extended warranty- not a salvage title car???

You had the June 2004 recall notice and they inspected the trans and installed the external oil spray bar unit.
At what mileage and date was that?
Then you drove trouble free for how lone/miles?- was the fluid ever changed during that time?
Now you have shifting issues. How does the fluid smell?

When they were doing the recall there was inspection with a micro camera inside the trans. If the gear was burned damaged- whatever- they replaced the trans right then.
Otherwise put the kit on and send it out.
Some units lived another 40k miles- some long lives, 164 is good life on any transmission.

The best thing is to meet the Service MANAGER not the service WRITER. The Manager can contact District rep and see what they can do on a partial payment with you.
See the thread by Phee and his car saga, 4 months into owning a 99 TL with miles like yours and the trans goes out. Acura agreed to pay 90% of the cost and he pays the rest.
Way Over time limits and over miles!!!Thats the best deal I have heard of-
usually its 50/50 or 1000$ increments you pay
The job is worth $4000 so being NICE is going to work better than threats and whining about how you only got 160k out of it..... Phee told them he was a student who loved his car and really couldnt afford a trans at this point- they hooked him up in a big way

Aamco gets about 2500 to rebuild yours- Acura uses a rebuilt unit that is crated and ready to go in- new case design and other features
I always say: Bring Donuts when visiting the dealer!!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:32 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As always, great advice from 01tl4tl.

Here's the wording on the oil jet recall:

Summer 2004

Safety Recall: CL and TL Automatic Transmission Second Gear Inspection

Dear Acura Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

What is the reason for this notice?
Honda Motor Co., Ltd. has decided that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2001-03 3.2CLs, 2000-03 3.2TLs, and 2004 TLs.

Certain operating conditions can result in heat buildup in the transmission second gear set and may lead to gear tooth chipping. In very rare cases, gear breakage can occur. Gear failure could result in transmission lock-up, and a crash could occur without warning.

What should you do?
Call any authorized Acura dealer and make an appointment to have your vehicle repaired. For vehicles with less than 15,000 miles, the dealer will install an oil jet kit to provide additional lubrication to the gears. For vehicles with more than 15,000 miles, the dealer will inspect the affected gear for heat discoloration, which indicates possible damage. If heat discoloration exists, the dealer will replace the transmission. If heat discoloration is not found, the dealer will install an oil jet kit. This work will be done free of charge. Please plan to leave your vehicle all day to allow the dealer flexibility in scheduling the inspection and installing the oil jet kit. If transmission replacement is needed, the work will take more than one day.

Who to contact if you experience problems.
If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Honda Automobile Customer Service
Mail Stop 500-2N-7A
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501-2746

If you believe that American Honda or the dealer has failed or is unable to remedy the defect in your vehicle, without charge, within a reasonable period of time (60 days from the date you first contact the dealer for a repair appointment), you may submit a complaint to:

Administrator
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
400 Seventh Street, SW
Washington, DC 20590

Or call the toll-free Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236.

[b]What to do if you feel this notice is in error.
Our records show that you are the current owner or lessee of a 2001-03 3.2CL, 2000-03 3.2TL, or 2004 TL involved in this campaign. If this is not the case, or the name/address information is not correct, please fill out and return the enclosed, postage-paid Information Change Card. We will then update our records.[b]

If you paid to have the transmission replaced, you may be eligible for reimbursement. Refer to the attached instructions for eligibility requirements and the reimbursement procedure.

Lessor Information.
Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within 10 days.

If you have questions.
If you have any questions about this notice, or need assistance with contacting an Acura dealer, please call Acura Client Services at (800) 382-2238, and select menu option #2.

We apologize for any inconvenience this campaign may cause you.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Acura Automobile Division

The documentation of the recall work will be critical in this case. Is it documented anywhere that Acura found discoloration? If so, per the wording of the recall notice, they should have replaced the transmission. If not, they should have installed the second gear oil jet kit.

And you wrote that "i recall the dealership saying that they performed the recall work AND replaced 2nd gear" Again, the documentation will be critical. Even if someone did tell you that, only the written documentation will carry any weight. And I also think it would be very unusual for the dealership to replace the 2nd gear. As 01tl4tl wrote, they would typically replace the entire transmission.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

Based soley on what I was told by my insider tech, 2 service managers, and what I read here, the dealer is NOT even allowed to open the transmission case at all- if they do- acura wont pay them

they do driving test and code analysis and order the replacements when needed
Thats why they used a boroscope to examine the trans.
This is the same type camera used to examine jet engines- if something is wrong you have a microscope at your hands to check it out.

Examination of 2nd gear is what they did- not replacement of it

Now how bout answers to the detailed questions

Happy new year Bob!
Old 12-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Year: 2000, within the range and not a salvage titled car

recall was done approximately 85k miles in 2005-2006

Trouble free until I hit 164k

oil changed every 15k miles

as far as second gear goes, the work order states replacement, not inspection
Old 12-31-2007, 03:14 PM
Team Owner

Wow- never heard of such a thing. Does it show a part number and everything?

Acura is the coverage- not the individual dealer, so just take the paperwork and receipts for the trans fluid changes etc with you and have a chat with the Service MANAGER only!

Mention belonging to Acurazine- the Internets largest gathering place of Acura owners, and that you heard Acura is really working hard to take care of its loyal customers
Old 12-31-2007, 03:17 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by one9_gt
Year: 2000, within the range and not a salvage titled car

recall was done approximately 85k miles in 2005-2006

Trouble free until I hit 164k

oil changed every 15k miles

as far as second gear goes, the work order states replacement, not inspection
So do you now have all of the documentation associated with the recall servicing?

Did you get that from the dealer that did the original work?

Does the work order mention that they found discoloration? That would be the condition for replacing the entire transmission.

You might want to post exactly what was written on the work order.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

It's got everything!

Thanks for all your help! I'll swing by the closest dealership after work and see what they can do.