Smoked out tail lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i used the spray tint and its not a glossy finish like rock blocker. its a flat tint look. my friend tried to clear coat his tails after he used the spray but it just looks almost like stock now.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:01 AM
Wallace, LA

Alright, I'm putting this debate to bed...

There has been a lot of speculation about tailight tint. We know Rockblocker offers 25%, the lighter, and 35% the darker tint. Yes, I know it is the opposite of the conventional way of measuring tint darkness; ask Chad about it, not me. Rockblocker is a good, reversible option to exercise to tint your tails. Install is easy but can be aggravating IF you leave bubles in the tint, like I did. My right tail turned out perfect but my left (the second one I installed) was full of small bubles. Wish i had pics but my car was wrecked and I peeled off the film. The bubles are easily remedied: An insulin needle will penetrate the tint and suck the air out allowing you to smooth out the buble. However, this leaves the tint with little white flecks where the needle punctured the film. If you are obessive about your car like me, this will take about 5 years off your life. Also, since the film is relatively think and obviously an exterior application it may remind you of those black plastic covers/shades some cars(I've seen trucks with them) have over there tail lights. I'm not implying Rockblocker is in the same leauge with those hideous plastic shades, BUT they do kind of remind me of it. My solution:

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tuto...king_Taillights

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Mercha...uct_Code=SP-999

I have gone through with the VHT tint spray and love it 10000X's more than the Rockblocker film I previously had on my car. You just spray the tint to your desired level of darkness and then shoot on a couple of layers of clearcoat to keep it nice and safe. With the clearcoat, I think the tail lights STILL look glossy. Since I have NBP, I had my bodyshop spray the tint the exact shade of darkness as my automobile and it looks amazing. Clean as fuck. Plus, when I hit the breaks, the red light seeps right on though...

In my opinion the VHT spray tint spray looks much cleaner and more professional than the cheap and flimsy look of the rockblocker tint.

If you're going to do it, do it right...
Old 12-29-2006, 01:06 AM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
i think the smoked tails look hot. however the spray on tint looks shitty....it loses all the gloss of the taillight. the proper way to do is to tint it with film, or to have the taillight cleared with a tinted clear...

Look at post #28...you don't think Billys tail lights look glossy?
Old 12-29-2006, 01:50 AM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
my tailights are just as glossy as my paint when waxed its insane
Old 12-29-2006, 04:53 AM
III
prototype

IMO the 02-03's are the best lookin tails anyway... no need tint em
Old 12-29-2006, 11:14 AM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by XxXboboXxX
my tailights are just as glossy as my paint when waxed its insane
There you have it.

And I agree as I have the same set up...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLsu
There you have it.

And I would agree as I have the same set up...

Everyone has an opinion, an idea and thoughts. We are all good with that and the choices people make.

FYI, two things to remember-

- Not everyone can rattle can as good as others with VHT and clear. So for some people who did not pass Spray painting 101. This might be a bad idea.
- Not easily reversible if needed or wanted. Can cause more damage than good in the long run.

Side effects to using VHT that everyone should aware

-Its hard to get even.
-You must sand smooth to get it looking clean and smooth.
-Have to be careful to how dark you get it before its too late.
-If you have to strip the paint off you are facing side effects with damaging the tails. Usual chemicals that are laquer thinner, brake cleaner or gasoline from what we see online and read all the time. Using any of these products will dry out the living orgasm in the polycarbonate plastic (taillight). It might not be noticeable right at the time, but they will spider crack, dull and fade out at some point. Anything made from polycarbonate plastic has this as a side effect. It will always do it, there is just some chemicals that will accelerate and make it happen quicker including upgrading your light output.

And believe it or not another chemical on the accleration list is Lemon Joy Dish Soap and the oil from your fingers too!!

We wouldnt call our film cheap and flimsy since we have seen time and time again where someone was hit by this or that and no damaged was caused to their lights. It definitely is a short cut and time saver than spray painting.

RockBlocker tail side effect

- Waxing the product. If you dont it will fade.
- Having to remove them
- More expensive than VHT but cheaper than replacing a tail light set.

Good luck to all and what you choose to do with your tails
Old 12-29-2006, 11:55 AM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
^^I agree tinting the tails with film might be a good option. what I did to my taillight was have a body shop spray the portion of the tail I wanted with a smoke clear. Than they recleared the entire tail, so its even shinier than the paint. I can wax it or wash it, or not even do anything to it, and it will not fade. The cost however ($100), was more the the tint film you sell. But, if you look at my taillight, the entire thing looks completley factory...there is no seam between the smoked portion and the OEM...
Old 12-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Drifting

and as far as the VHT option...I strongly recommend against that as most cars Ive seen with that done look terrible...there is no gloss what so ever..
Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Wallace, LA

I would like to clear up what I have said: In my ****opinion***, the rockblocker looks flimsy/cheap as it is *obviously* an exterior application. Hey, I tried it, but it wasn't for me. Rockblocker, IS quality. I just don't like its aesthetic after trying it for myself as I prefer the the thinner application of the spray tint and clearcoat. Ths spray tint is more descrete and less obvious an exterior application when compared to the rockblocker. To me, the spray tint and clearcoat retains an OEM feel as it looks cleaner after the installation process is complete. Sort of, the OEM style method of blacking out tailights, if you will. And no matter what njzprettyboy says, Billy and I can both attest that the spraytint and clearcoat set up DOES LOOK GLOSSY. I can decisively say it looks more glossy than the rockblocker tint that I previously had on my car. I have had both and that is my firm opinion.

Rockblocker has its advantages:
Rockblocker is reversible, less expensive, and anyone can install it.

Depending on the members goals, commitment to taillight tinting(if they would ever want to reverse the process), affluence, and ability to shoot a spray can, I think their is enough information here for the members of the board to make an intelligent decision...

Chad, I apologize if I came off as truculent. I ejoyed your product but it just wasn't for me.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:16 PM
onebadtls

I just redid my tails, ill post the pics sometime this weekend, i went to a hobby shop and picked up a couple cans of window tint for models 5$ each. The first time i did it was lazy and didnt sand or clear coat them and it peeled off after a month or two, this time i took off the tails, taped off basiclly the white part and wet sanded them with 600..sprayed 4 light coats, the spray will run if its applied too heavily, then let dry about 12 hrs, sprayed 2 light coats of clear on them then wet sanded with i think it was 1200 lightly, came out beautiful..
At first i thought they came out way too dark but the light shines through perfect..hopefully i can be some help to some of you.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:06 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please allow me to chime in my 2 cents. I current still have rockblocker tint on my taillights, foglights (and used to have rockblocker tint on headlights also before blackout), I have to say that one big advantage of rockblocker is the reversable part. The tint film is very thick and if you cut carefully around the trim, standing 3 ft or so away won't see any seam around the tint film portion. It is waxable and looks glossy enough, for me anyway. I'm sure if I use spray paint, the result will looks horrible since I don't know how to paint! Applying the tint film even it's a little hard, but I believe anyone can do it. It's best if you can have one extra piece to practice first. Living in So Cal, cops can pretty stop anyone anytime especially modified car, so tint film is the best choice for me.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:44 PM
Drifting

I would like to clear up what I have said: In my ****opinion***, the rockblocker looks flimsy/cheap as it is *obviously* an exterior application. Hey, I tried it, but it wasn't for me. Rockblocker, IS quality. I just don't like its aesthetic after trying it for myself as I prefer the the thinner application of the spray tint and clearcoat. Ths spray tint is more descrete and less obvious an exterior application when compared to the rockblocker. To me, the spray tint and clearcoat retains an OEM feel as it looks cleaner after the installation process is complete. Sort of, the OEM style method of blacking out tailights, if you will. And no matter what njzprettyboy says, Billy and I can both attest that the spraytint and clearcoat set up DOES LOOK GLOSSY. I can decisively say it looks more glossy than the rockblocker tint that I previously had on my car. I have had both and that is my firm opinion.

Depending on the members goals, commitment to taillight tinting(if they would ever want to reverse the process), affluence, and ability to shoot a spray can, I think their is enough information here for the members of the board to make an intelligent decision...

Chad, I apologize if I came off as truculent. I ejoyed your product but it just wasn't for me.

I guess the jobs Ive seen the was without the person clearing on top...because the pics posted look great! on my car, i only had the turn signal part lightly tinted..
Old 12-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

Its your opinion and that is A-Okay with us!!! No offense taken.

So others know the film will look better after the cure factor and a couple coats of wax. Remember it has been all rolled up sitting there from production to adhesive application to cutting to shipping to installing, etc. It does have a little dull look at first, but so do VHT tails until u polish them!
Old 12-29-2006, 08:26 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
Its your opinion and that is A-Okay with us!!! No offense taken.

So others know the film will look better after the cure factor and a couple coats of wax. Remember it has been all rolled up sitting there from production to adhesive application to cutting to shipping to installing, etc. It does have a little dull look at first, but so do VHT tails until u polish them!

Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
go on ebay and lookup tailight tint spray...it stays on as long as u want...as dark as u want...and comes right off wit goof off
Old 12-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
also the spray last longer if u sand the tailights 1st
Old 12-30-2006, 10:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by L's TL
go on ebay and lookup tailight tint spray...it stays on as long as u want...as dark as u want...and comes right off wit goof off

Perfect example here. Sorry to make a point of it. Goof off is another chemical that wil eat the living organism in the plastic and cause to to crack, fade and/or die. So you are out a new set of tail lights if you keep the car long enough or as little as 3 months. Seen it many times over. Bad idea, what the choice is yours on what you use.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:01 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by RockBlocker
Perfect example here. Sorry to make a point of it. Goof off is another chemical that wil eat the living organism in the plastic and cause to to crack, fade and/or die. So you are out a new set of tail lights if you keep the car long enough or as little as 3 months. Seen it many times over. Bad idea, what the choice is yours on what you use.
This is only adverse if you act impulsively, spray and cleat your tails, then decide you don't like it...

If you know what you want, and do it, you'll be very happy with the resutls of the spray tint and clear...
Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 PM
Instructor

This is only adverse if you act impulsively, spray and cleat your tails, then decide you don't like it...

If you know what you want, and do it, you'll be very happy with the resutls of the spray tint and clear...

so you guys recommend the spray??

i wanna keep my clear clear and the bottom smoked
Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Old 01-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by illTL

Only if you can do it corectly and evenly. Also knowing it is not easily reversible.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:11 AM

so what makes the rocker blocker so easy to come off???
Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
Banned

You can pull it off and remove the adhesive without damaging your light
Old 01-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by njzprettyboy
^^I agree tinting the tails with film might be a good option. what I did to my taillight was have a body shop spray the portion of the tail I wanted with a smoke clear. Than they recleared the entire tail, so its even shinier than the paint. I can wax it or wash it, or not even do anything to it, and it will not fade. The cost however ($100), was more the the tint film you sell. But, if you look at my taillight, the entire thing looks completley factory...there is no seam between the smoked portion and the OEM...
jus wanted to clear up tht mine werent done with the spray can you guys are talking about, i think TLSU might have gotten it confused, mine were done jus the way pretty boys were just with a darker smoke on the different portion of the tailight, body shop work, spray gun, recleared full light, they always are shiny like prettyboys, they were done with any kind of spraycan tint
Old 01-04-2007, 09:03 AM

ok and how does the adhesive come off?...some type of adhesive remover?
Old 01-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Banned

yes that is correct. We use a type that can be used on tinted windows and wont ruin the tint either. Very safe product and easy to use.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:35 PM
Wallace, LA

Originally Posted by XxXboboXxX
jus wanted to clear up tht mine werent done with the spray can you guys are talking about, i think TLSU might have gotten it confused, mine were done jus the way pretty boys were just with a darker smoke on the different portion of the tailight, body shop work, spray gun, recleared full light, they always are shiny like prettyboys, they were done with any kind of spraycan tint
So, essentially...

Your taillights(the red portion) were sprayed by a spraygun using a generic spray tint, and then your entire tailight was clearcoated?

I don't think I fully understand what you are trying to say.