Smoked out tail lights.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 01:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smoked out tail lights.

What type of spray do some of you fellas use to tint out your taillights? Those with the RockerBlocker taillight tint, was it hard to install & do you need a heat gun to smooth out the process?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 AM
Wallace, LA

PM xxxboboxxx about the spray tinted tails and please report back here with the info. He did an excellent job on his car with it and lives in your area (Long Island). As for the Rockblocker, I'm pretty sure most guys used a hair dryer to aid in the installation process. However, mezzerTL-S has Rockblocker smoked tails and it has faded. Maybe his look is what you want...they are smoked not too dark. Hopefully, he is the only one with this issue because I was leaning toward using that method to tint my tails because the process is reversible and seems easier. Here is the link to mezzerTL-S thread featuring the Rockblocker tint:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/my-tdma-phone-still-works-im-gsm-123282/

Mark
Old 11-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Wallace, LA

Here is alink with pictures of Pimpravi's Rockblocker (his hasn't faded like mezzer's...) https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120481

Here is xxxboboxxx's car with his custom spray tint:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118177

Towards the bottom of the first page I believe he gives a quick summation of the process
Old 11-15-2005, 10:06 PM
my girly girl

This is what i used. its a tint spray i forgot what its called but it wasent expensive. the can was around 30 bucks. and all u gatta do is tape off where u dont want to spray it. you do one layer see how u like it , second layer, and so on until u found your desire.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Wallace, LA

Where did you get it from (the tint spray)?
Old 11-15-2005, 10:29 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rockblocker tint is not hard, but it takes time to careful smooth out around the curve of the taillight. It takes mine 1hr for the first taillight and 30min for the second one. I use hair dryer to mold the film to the shape of the taillight. Mine hasn't fade after little over a month. My guess is that if you expose the tint to too much sunlight, then fading might occurs.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn I don't want to spray it because If I decide that I dont want it later I'm screwed. If the rocker blocker tint fades then that's also a bad idea.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:02 AM
Wallace, LA

Yeah, the Rockblocker on LacViets car looks great...but on Mezzers it has really faded and it appears it is starting to fade on Pimpravi's.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:39 AM
my girly girl

rockblockers tint stuff does fade this is when i fiirst put on my headlight tint

now after 9 months it looks like this

Old 11-17-2005, 06:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Damn Mackntheacc it looks like you dont even have tint film on there. Rockerblocker film is def not the way to go.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

Not trying to be a party pooper.. just providing some information I obtained from law enforcement (Florida) when receiving a ticket once. Ticket wasnt for the taillights .. but I asked the cop about painting my tailights.. He said that technically you could get a ticket for modifying any of your Safety requirements on the vehicle .. but said more importantly for taillights ... that if someone is at fault for rear ending you .. and notices or claims that they couldnt see your taillights clearly .. that the fault would be shifted to you insted because you had modified them. Said the courts would also hammer you if there was a lawsuit as well.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't like tinted tailights for that reason. if im following some one who has those black covers on the tails i can just about see the damn lights. but i guess it depends how dark you go. my friend on his truck did the spray tint. he got it at a hobby store. he just did 2 coats and it was pretty black. he went out and bought led tail light bulbs to make it a little brighter which was no where close to stock. also which i didn't like was that it never was shiny after he did it. idk if thats all the spray stuff does that but i didn't like it.

the guy that tinted my windows does the rockblocker stuff. the only thing i didn't like about that it was pretty thick. it wasn't like window tint. it would look kinda funny up close because im sure you could see where the tint was. and if you ran your finger along it you would notice it big time and could probably peel off from washing and stuff.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

i was just wondering, is it possible to just use regular tint film so u can easily remove them if your ever in trouble?

if so wut % tint should be used?
Old 11-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Wallace, LA

I PMed xxxboboxxx with some questions about the light visibility and number of coats and such...but I haven't gotten a reply
Old 11-17-2005, 07:47 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

i live in cali and my car is always in direct sunlight.. i havent noticed any fading.

it really isnt pure black, mine is more of a ruby dark red. (but black at night)
Old 11-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Wallace, LA

Did you order a ruby dark red colorish from rockblocker? Look at Lacviets...his is much darker...and I thought it was the same product? So that is why I suggetsed yours faded.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:41 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

Originally Posted by TLsu
Did you order a ruby dark red colorish from rockblocker? Look at Lacviets...his is much darker...and I thought it was the same product? So that is why I suggetsed yours faded.

i dont remember but it doesnt bother me....... im sure if hes aware of the fading he can replace these for free right?
Old 11-19-2005, 01:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TacoBellSauce
i was just wondering, is it possible to just use regular tint film so u can easily remove them if your ever in trouble?

if so wut % tint should be used?
I tried that project with regular 20% tint. It looked nice but it was very hard to get the tint to lay on the taillights around the curve. Since the regular tint is so thin it would wrinkle up and look all messed up, But you can try it yourself and let us know how it turns out, maybe I was doing something wrong.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:36 AM
Agean Blue Bishes

if your gonna use regular window tint you have to shape the film around the lens. this can be done with a heat gun and taking like an oven mitt or a glove andpushing the tint to stretch around the light. check out tintdude.com i think it is they have tips. its called like a baby powder shrink or something. its for tinting the rear window of a car since its curved you have to shape it.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:48 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

I've got my rockblocker smoke film, just waiting for some free time to do it. Between the film and spray, I chose the film because if I get tired of it, it fades, or cops hassle me, I can remove it. If you spray, you have to replace taillights to get back to stock..

Just my
Old 11-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

i was looking at the tints today, will i need to use the adhesive kind or the static one?
Old 11-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Drifting

I've had my rockblocker on for a little over a month now

Here are some pics (about half way down):

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125158

Mine hasn't faded or peeled at all- but I would suggest waxing it to prevent future fading, just treat it like a paint surface and I don't think fading will be an issue.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:12 PM
Wallace, LA

Thanks bro...after looking at that rockblocker seems to be too light for my taste. I just don't understand why Lacviets is so dark. If I was sure it would be as dark as his and not fade...I would be all over it.
Old 12-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Banned

Hey guys,

I would really like to see this faded set of tail lights. I am totally lost here and know nothing about it. Actually I am kind of concerned that this might have happened. It would be a first for us. Even with us being in the valley of teh sun where you can get burned in 10 minutes in the summer mine look great and the car is outdoors everyday day in day out!!

As for some looking darker. We offer a 35% smoked kit that is almost twice as dark as the standard 20%. The 35% is special order only you MUST call that in to us.

If mezzerTL-S would get ahold of us instead of hearing from another party about this that would be great. Truely, I want to see for myself what the problem might be.

Happy Holidays to all and your families
Old 12-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mackntheacc
rockblockers tint stuff does fade this is when i fiirst put on my headlight tint

now after 9 months it looks like this

Hmmm - this seems odd. What are you using to clean the light protectors. I have had a set on for two years on one car, Blue heads with yellow fogs

Another car for 3 years with yellow fogs and Now another one with Blue heads, blue turns and Smoked Tails down here in Phoenix where it is hotter here than anywhere else well populated with no problems, side effects or concerns to speak of.

Where you are located is there a lot of salt on the roads in the winter time?
Do you leave the car dirty with the salt on it for long periods of time in the winter?

Any insight as to how you care for them would be great.

I know if you use abrasive chemicals or solvents to clean bugs and what not off the product it will fade, but that is it.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:46 PM
my girly girl

THATS MY CAR

i live on an island, long island lol.

i only use glass cleaner and sometimes wax just like it said in the upkeep in the directions. i havent gotten thro the snow with it yet i put it on in march.i wash my car regulary so thats not it hmmmm.

i dont no but mabye if you can think of a solution to this problem and make me feel better. i really liked them but its a shame it faded and i didnt wanna spend more money getting another set. mabye we can work something out. pm me or respond hear. thanks rockblocker
Old 12-02-2005, 01:13 AM
Wallace, LA

Rockblocker, here is Mezzers take on his fading Rockblocker tint. This is an exact copy of the PM he sent me.

"Hey Mark, to be honest with you when I put the film on it looked a little darker, so I would say in the last 6 months its faded a bit, but at night you can barely tell until I hit the brakes.
Jeff"

Here is the link to his car with pictures of his faded tint:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123282

Also, and I don't mean this in a mean spirited way, but why should I buy Rockblocker tint as opposed to say 5%, or 20% high quality Llumar tint from a reputable local shop?

Finally, it is odd how 35% tint is darker than the 20% on your scale.
And does the tint go on top of the lights or do we have to open the light housings to put it in?
Old 12-10-2005, 04:49 PM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
spray tint all the way

Old 12-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Wallace, LA

Hey xxxboboxxx, how many coats of spray tint is that? Is the paint on the interior or exterior of the light housings? Despite the fact your tint on the taillights is pretty dark(pretty much matches the NBP) can you still see the "red" break lights through the tint when the breaks are applied and such? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Banned

Also, and I don't mean this in a mean spirited way, but why should I buy Rockblocker tint as opposed to say 5%, or 20% high quality Llumar tint from a reputable local shop?

Finally, it is odd how 35% tint is darker than the 20% on your scale.
And does the tint go on top of the lights or do we have to open the light housings to put it in?
You are not being mean at all. The reason why you wouldnt go buy 5% window tint is that window tint is not flexible and pliable like our product is. Remember this is not window tint. Installing window tint succesfully in one peice installation the tail light would be magic unless the tail is completely flat or curved just slightly. Plus the tail light when multiple colors are involved such as brake light and reverse light (red and white) there usually is brek lines there. The window tint would not be able to handle that very well without making a noticeable mark or edge.

You can find it odd if you want that 35% is darker than 20%, but again this is not window tint. The product is rated by how much color is in the high impactaresistant film.

The film goes on the outside of the light. You DO NOT need to remove the light housing in anway. It actually makes it a lot harder for the installation
Old 12-11-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mackntheacc
THATS MY CAR

i live on an island, long island lol.

i only use glass cleaner and sometimes wax just like it said in the upkeep in the directions. i havent gotten thro the snow with it yet i put it on in march.i wash my car regulary so thats not it hmmmm.

i dont no but mabye if you can think of a solution to this problem and make me feel better. i really liked them but its a shame it faded and i didnt wanna spend more money getting another set. mabye we can work something out. pm me or respond hear. thanks rockblocker
lets see what I can do

What kind of Glass Cleaner are using? Canned or Spray bottle. Long Island uses Salt in their sand for snow time. How long between washes during the winter is the car going through? What kind of waxes are you using?

The more info you can provide the better and easier we might be able to determine what the cause might be.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Banned

Rockblocker, here is Mezzers take on his fading Rockblocker tint. This is an exact copy of the PM he sent me.

"Hey Mark, to be honest with you when I put the film on it looked a little darker, so I would say in the last 6 months its faded a bit, but at night you can barely tell until I hit the brakes.
Jeff"

Here is the link to his car with pictures of his faded tint:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123282
Thanks for posting that, but as stated above. having the person that owns this car contacting us much better than hear say from another. Nothing against you at all. I can see that from the link on the thread. My first though si that the pciture is shot with the tail facing the sun and that can make a difference in how it is represented in a pic, plus the type of camer used, colors around it. I can go on, but I wont.

If the person that owns that car would please contact me about his/her that would be great.

Chad@rockblocker.com

Happy Holidays

Chad
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Hey xxxboboxxx, how many coats of spray tint is that? Is the paint on the interior or exterior of the light housings? Despite the fact your tint on the taillights is pretty dark(pretty much matches the NBP) can you still see the "red" break lights through the tint when the breaks are applied and such? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

no idea, i didnt do it myself....ity was done by a body shop...but it is extremely hard to tell whether it is even on the inside or outside.....after looking at it for a while ive concluded it is on the exterior with a couple of layers of clearcoat...and yes when you hit the brakes or even when the lights are on the red shines through the tints perfectly.....

Old 12-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Hall of Famer

^Looking good
Old 12-27-2006, 08:55 PM
Instructor

OK guys. so whats the best way to smoke your tails then? does anyone know where i can buy a DIY from? any help would be awesome. thanks
Old 12-28-2006, 03:42 AM
03' NBP TL-S

what is up with everyone and tinting the tail lights. i don't think it looks good.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:04 PM
Instructor

really? i think they look really nice if you match the wheels.

Does anyone know or have done this and have a DIY?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
i think the smoked tails look hot. however the spray on tint looks shitty....it loses all the gloss of the taillight. the proper way to do is to tint it with film, or to have the taillight cleared with a tinted clear...
Old 12-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Instructor

ya i am going to get the tint..when i do mine soon
Old 12-28-2006, 04:26 PM
Banned

our film has a clear coat on it that is waxable

Quick Reply: Smoked out tail lights.