Do it yourself cleared '02 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I found some moisture in my headlight casings the other night, but it was gone the next morning and I haven't seen it since. I posted about this and Bitium said "A very little amount could happen. It will go away quick. Each headlight has 2 breathers so condensation does not happen, but a little might."
Old 03-20-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive thought of a way to get rid of the moisture. Im gonna take the light off the car and then use alcohol and pour it into the light housing, the alchol will evaporate quickly and that should clear the lens. then ill run a blow dryer to remove any traces of moisture and then that should do the trick!
Old 03-20-2002, 09:08 PM
Pro

I had to bite the bullet today. I got home and re-opened the light housing and found something very strange. What i thought was moisture inside the lens was actually something much worse. Take a look at the pic

As you can see here, it looks like there is moisture but its actually the plastic. Somehow the plastic actually like dissolved and the clear lens turned foggy. I think that the honda bond somehow produced corrisive vapors that actually dissolved the plastic!! :wow: Take another look

This is not moisture. The plastic is actually damaged. Its rather mind boggling. The other light turned out fine. And get this, i didnt use Honda bond on the other light, i used Acryllic Adhesive/Sealant on it. Does anyone know what might have happened? I went to the Acura Dealer and ordered another light. Fortunately, the honda warehouse is in Ontario so ill get the part tomorrow afternoon, but this was extremely strange. Here is another shot of the light: This turned out to be a 200.00 dollar problem!!
Old 03-20-2002, 09:19 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
holy shieet! how the heck can that happen?! How come you used another sealant on the other light?
Old 03-20-2002, 10:07 PM
Racer

oh that can't be good!!!!!

so did u figure what is going on and what caused it??
Old 03-21-2002, 12:07 AM
Pro

Originally posted by ElegantTL-S
holy shieet! how the heck can that happen?! How come you used another sealant on the other light?
Actually since i only purchased one tube of honda bond, i didnt really have enough to do the other light so i used a tube of acryillic caulk that i had. That light turned out great. There was only a little moisture in it the next day but that went away after i let it air out by removing the high beam bulb. But the drivers side light is whats really getting to me. I have no idea how the plastic couldve melted likt that and become foggy. the only thing that i can think of is that there were some really corrosive vapors that burned the plastic and took the shine off. I even tried polishing compound on it but that didnt really help. its weird man, this belongs in the X-Files. New light should come tomorrow and i have the bumper taken off the car. Cant drive it till i get the new light and clear that one. Fvck Honda Bond. Im not using that shiat!! Ill use some more acryllic adhesive!! That stuff is strong and a very good sealer.
Old 03-21-2002, 02:19 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Originally posted by nameeri

Actually since i only purchased one tube of honda bond, i didnt really have enough to do the other light so i used a tube of acryillic caulk that i had. That light turned out great. There was only a little moisture in it the next day but that went away after i let it air out by removing the high beam bulb. But the drivers side light is whats really getting to me. I have no idea how the plastic couldve melted likt that and become foggy. the only thing that i can think of is that there were some really corrosive vapors that burned the plastic and took the shine off. I even tried polishing compound on it but that didnt really help. its weird man, this belongs in the X-Files. New light should come tomorrow and i have the bumper taken off the car. Cant drive it till i get the new light and clear that one. Fvck Honda Bond. Im not using that shiat!! Ill use some more acryllic adhesive!! That stuff is strong and a very good sealer.
damn!! that's werid man! Shine used it on Ivan and his car and it's fine.... hmmmm......i wonder what went wrong. I know there is a simple solution. ah well. let me know what happens tomorrow with your new headlight. haha...now you got three orange pieces for me to play with.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:19 PM
Racer

I think it could have happened when you put the heatgun up to the light. It CAN'T be Hondabond because that's what Acura is using, and common logic should tell you, something the manufacturer is using can't cause that. And I dunno what you did, but 1 tube of Honda bond is enough to seal 4 lights for me.
Oh well, this is what being a self tuner is about. Learn from your mistakes or get someone who knows what they're doing to do it.
Old 03-22-2002, 09:15 AM
Pro

Shine.....I definately learned from this mistake!! 200 bucks later :wow: I dont know what could've happened but im not taking chances this time around. Ill do the new light EXACTLY as i did the first light and hopefully i wont have this happen again. But like you said, there are always risks when modding your car, you just gotta roll with the punches and continue. You cant let one set back mess you up.
Old 03-25-2002, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

niceeeeeee
how do u get the "peachy orange"
color -- looks much better than orange-orange imo...
Old 04-08-2002, 02:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9
niceeeeeee
how do u get the "peachy orange"
color -- looks much better than orange-orange imo...
TTT
Old 04-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Three Wheelin'

nameeri,
Check to see if "Ethylcyanoacrylate" is in the Honda Bond. That is basically a Crazy Glue and years ago, when I use to build models, one of the first things I realized was how crazy glue (and other Hi-Po adhesive) would emit a very strong vapor that hazed any clear plastic.

Basically, just use the Acrylic adhesive that you have used. Hard way of learning but, sh1t, it could have been worse. Both of your lights could of came out all hazed up.