DIY : taking off front grill (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
DIY : taking off front grill (pics)

Hey,

For those of you who might wanna take off your grill and modify it somehow -- I took off my grill to do some spring cleaning as well as install parts sitting around my house since Christmas.

Tools you need:

1) flathead screwdriver (preferrably short length)
2) Philips screwdriver ( X shaped head)
3) screwdriver for eyeglasses (very small ones)

To take off the grill, it's easiest to just leave the front bumper on. Pop the hood open. There is a long, thin, black plastic piece that covers above the headlight housing and spans across the front of the engine bay:

The pic has this black piece removed from the car ... you'll need the flathead screwdriver to remove the pushpins that hold this piece in place. You HAVE TO HAVE PATIENCE to remove them without breaking the heads off. It's like $5 to replace one of them, so be careful! Let's see ... there are 2 on the passenger side, 6 (4 big, 2 small) in the middle and 1 on the driver's side. Put this piece in a flat place, out of the way. It's somewhat fragile so you don't want to crack this piece.

Now ... you'll see a small crevice on the driver's side, between the grill and the radiator. Look around to familiarize yourself with where you will need to go. Your grill is held to the bumper with 3 push pins, equidistant apart (2 on the sides, 1 in the middle). Fit your hand with a short-length flathead screwdriver inside to reach for the under side of the grill, where it meets with the bumper. You have to feel around to see where the screwdriver is gonna go flip off the push pin. Patience ... again is gonna get you through this. Remember -- if you don't do it this way, you'll have to take your bumper off ... your choice. For me, it took close to a 1/2 hour to get the 3 push pins out:

Your car should look like this now:

With the grill off ... you're good to go. It should look like this:

On the inward facing side, you'll see a bunch of philips head screws holding the grill in place. For my mod, I had to take these pieces off. Three screws on the ends, 4 in the middle (2 screws to hold the base of the grill emblem, 2 screws to hold the chrome emblem in place).

Notice the orientation of the base emblem when you replace it:

At this point, you put all the screws back on ... and reverse the order of the directions posted above. You can see how the engineers designed how these pieces all fit together. It's so easy to snap everythiing on -- just a pain in the @ss to take it off. It took me 2 minutes to put everything back into place.

Here's what my car now looks like:

Hope this helps someone down the road!
Old 03-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude are u gonna finish it off..where you get the bedges at?...im trying to do the same..i got my grille on..lookin good!!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:59 PM
I Heart 6 Gears.

sweet!
Old 03-28-2005, 12:04 AM
AZ O.G NoOldManVetteOwner

Received 204 Likes on 126 Posts
I replaced the Acura badge on that grill (with another Acura badge, however) and it was SUCH a pain without taking the grill off. Nice instructions.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Racer

how do you take the 2 little pins off? I can't stick a screwdriver in there doesn't matter size.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

You need the really small screwdriver, like the ones you need to use for eyeglasses. You can't use the 'regular' ones for everyday use. Just fit the small head into the groove -- you have to be patient when you take stuff off your car. Those push pins aren't very durable.

Take a look at the 4th pic in the DIY ... you can see there are 3 screwdrivers in the pic ... small silver one, orange one, green one -- the silver one is what you need.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:54 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Hmm, so the JDM badge conversion only comes with the "H" for the front? I thought it was an entire grille.

Looks great, Derrick. You no longer have to drive an Acura Inspire (although that sounds damn sexy ).
Old 04-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Hmm, so the JDM badge conversion only comes with the "H" for the front? I thought it was an entire grille.
Actually ... there are 3 pieces for the grill to do the full conversion.

1) chrome part on both sides of the emblem
2) chrome H emblem
3) backing to support the H emblem

A bunch of Philips screws hold them all in place (I think there are 10 total). The hard part is getting those push pins that hold the grill onto the bumper. I hope I never have to get to them again! (But will probably need to do so when I sell my car ...)

Next ... trunk emblem + rim center caps and I'm good to go.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Yeah, I had to take out the grille to install the Grille-Tech stuff, and it was a pain in the ass.

I hate that radiator pipe on the passenger side behind the grille.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Hey Derrick Is It The Same For The 01 Tls Too?
And How Did You Replace The A With The H????
Old 04-15-2005, 11:28 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess the 99-01 TL would have a similar setup. I'm not 100% sure. But once you get the grill off, I'm pretty sure there are only regular philips head screws that hold the A emblem in place.

On the inward facing side, you'll see a bunch of philips head screws holding the grill in place. For my mod, I had to take these pieces off. Three screws on the ends, 4 in the middle (2 screws to hold the base of the grill emblem, 2 screws to hold the chrome emblem in place).
Old 07-12-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

nice dude, u get the emblem+back bracket at the honda dealerships? if so whats the part number plz...thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 11:08 AM
Banned

hey i found this one off ebay, it says it can fit the rsx, and intergra, how bout the 99 tl. anyone know?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...986234936&rd=1
Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PenancE
nice dude, u get the emblem+back bracket at the honda dealerships? if so whats the part number plz...thanks
AJ-racing.com -- ask for Justin. I might have the part # somewhere on this laptop ...
Old 07-13-2005, 09:01 PM
Instructor

I dont understand why you would want to turn an Acura into a Honda.....what is the point?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Wallace, LA

Chauncey I dont understand why you would want to turn an Acura into a Honda.....what is the point?

That is what I tried to tell Derrick...

Mark
Old 07-14-2005, 12:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Most people do the JDM conversion just to be different.

Now to think Acura > Honda ... you can thank marketers at Acura. Take a look at your car VS Honda Accord of the same year. > 40% of your car is the same components. The cars are assembled in the same line in Marysvale, OH.

Anyway ... I did the conversion 'cause I think it looks cool. No one around here has ever heard of an 'Inspire'. I had Acura Inspire for about a year then thought, "why bother do 1/2 a JDM conversion?"

To each, their own.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:15 AM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by derrick

Now to think Acura > Honda ... you can thank marketers at Acura. Take a look at your car VS Honda Accord of the same year. > 40% of your car is the same components. The cars are assembled in the same line in Marysvale, OH.

Anyway ... I did the conversion 'cause I think it looks cool. No one around here has ever heard of an 'Inspire'. I had Acura Inspire for about a year then thought, "why bother do 1/2 a JDM conversion?"

To each, their own.
JDM conversion is pretty cool, but obviously not for everyone.

In any case, Inspire sounds way cooler than 3.2TL.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:06 AM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey derrick, I was reading this thread and decided to take my front grille off and started removing the 3 pain in the ass push pins with a short flat screw driver as suggested, then it occured to me that if I put a flat tool, ie: the flat side of a set of wire snips, I could push the pointy side of the push pin back through itself rather than try to pry them out and let me tell you this way is much easier, probably took me about 5 minutes to get the grille off.
Peace, Jeff
Old 11-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

reviving from the dead...
can anyone tell me how to take the bottom Chrome trim off from the grille? what is it held on by?
do i have to take the entire grill off the car in order to do so?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:37 AM
New ride...Acura MDX 2013

yup you have to remove the entire grille to access the 8 or so #2 phillips (star) head screws that hold the trim piece on
Jeff
Old 11-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Toronto, ONTARIO

Acura has a better name / sign than honda

ID KEEP ACURA!!!

A OWNS H
Old 11-29-2005, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rpsouthsider
Acura has a better name / sign than honda

ID KEEP ACURA!!!

A OWNS H
Honda Is Acura! Dork!
Old 12-09-2005, 04:45 PM
Sum1 Nu

Hey,

For those of you who might wanna take off your grill and modify it somehow -- I took off my grill to do some spring cleaning as well as install parts sitting around my house since Christmas.

Tools you need:

1) flathead screwdriver (preferrably short length)
2) Philips screwdriver ( X shaped head)
3) screwdriver for eyeglasses (very small ones)

To take off the grill, it's easiest to just leave the front bumper on. Pop the hood open. There is a long, thin, black plastic piece that covers above the headlight housing and spans across the front of the engine bay:

The pic has this black piece removed from the car ... you'll need the flathead screwdriver to remove the pushpins that hold this piece in place. You HAVE TO HAVE PATIENCE to remove them without breaking the heads off. It's like $5 to replace one of them, so be careful! Let's see ... there are 2 on the passenger side, 6 (4 big, 2 small) in the middle and 1 on the driver's side. Put this piece in a flat place, out of the way. It's somewhat fragile so you don't want to crack this piece.

Now ... you'll see a small crevice on the driver's side, between the grill and the radiator. Look around to familiarize yourself with where you will need to go. Your grill is held to the bumper with 3 push pins, equidistant apart (2 on the sides, 1 in the middle). Fit your hand with a short-length flathead screwdriver inside to reach for the under side of the grill, where it meets with the bumper. You have to feel around to see where the screwdriver is gonna go flip off the push pin. Patience ... again is gonna get you through this. Remember -- if you don't do it this way, you'll have to take your bumper off ... your choice. For me, it took close to a 1/2 hour to get the 3 push pins out:

Your car should look like this now:

With the grill off ... you're good to go. It should look like this:

Notice the orientation of the base emblem when you replace it:

At this point, you put all the screws back on ... and reverse the order of the directions posted above. You can see how the engineers designed how these pieces all fit together. It's so easy to snap everythiing on -- just a pain in the @ss to take it off. It took me 2 minutes to put everything back into place.

Here's what my car now looks like:

Hope this helps someone down the road!
NICE JOB DONE bud.

does anyone know where to get a Metallic Grill (silver) from? or if such thing even exists? and if so then whats the price range? i'm in Toronto. thanx
Old 11-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Intermediate

what car and year honda badge did you use???
Old 11-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Vroom

may i kno what the use is to change the emblem????
Old 11-03-2006, 11:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by GranSkyline
may i kno what the use is to change the emblem????
In Japan the TL is known has Honda INSPIRE UA5
also you do this for JDM conversion.

Originally Posted by 2.3prototype
what car and year honda badge did you use???
02-03 UA5 Honda INSPIRE emblem
Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Vroom

Originally Posted by AznWayTL's

What is JDM conversion????? or basically, what does JDM stand for??? (please note that i am new to the forum, am 15, and know about as much knowledge of car modding as the width of your hand)
Old 11-09-2006, 11:46 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AznWayTL's

oh i see what about american hondas like a 02-03 accord emblem will that work???
Old 11-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by GranSkyline
What is JDM conversion????? or basically, what does JDM stand for??? (please note that i am new to the forum, am 15, and know about as much knowledge of car modding as the width of your hand)

Japanese Domestic Market
Old 11-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by 2.3prototype
oh i see what about american hondas like a 02-03 accord emblem will that work???

I dunno know? But i'm thinking
Old 12-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
will this take off the chrome piece at the edge of the hood? My chrome is very badly worn and nothing is getting it shiny again.

I'm thinking of replacing the chrome parts on the front
Old 12-09-2006, 08:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fog80
will this take off the chrome piece at the edge of the hood? My chrome is very badly worn and nothing is getting it shiny again.
I'm not sure what you are referring to. Post a pic so we have an idea what you're talking about.

I thought by posting pictures of this DIY, it would be self-explanatory what this project is supposed to do.
Old 12-10-2006, 02:40 PM
4th Gear

Why put a Honda Emblem on a Acura?
Old 12-10-2006, 02:49 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice instruction...y change to Honda logo?
Old 12-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Senior Moderator

^ To answer the above 2 questions. (JDM = japanese domestic market)

To each, their own.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by fog80
After re-reading this post (and looking at my own avatar), I think you are referring to the chrome strip that is actually ON the front edge of the hood. No, my instruction set will not help you remove that strip. You'd have to go to a body shop and have it remove and rechromed. (I think...)
Old 12-27-2006, 09:37 PM
III
prototype

just what i needed, thanks derrick.... workin' on this project right now and i was lost as to how to get the bottom clips off for the grille. back to the garage and throwing screwdrivers against the wall i go :P

to reply to the "why swap logo's" questions, i too used to be all about a clean usdm car vs. converting little bits and pieces of cars to jdm parts. not because i didnt like it, but rather 'cause i didnt see the point in spendin' the extra buck for things like this.

but ah, samson(REV-01) was sellin the inspire "H" grille pieces brand new and i somehow had to have it, lol. if he wasnt selling it locally for a good price, i'd never go outta my way to pick it up tho. now i need the rear trunk badge too tho.. and the steering wheel.. :P
Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
After re-reading this post (and looking at my own avatar), I think you are referring to the chrome strip that is actually ON the front edge of the hood. No, my instruction set will not help you remove that strip. You'd have to go to a body shop and have it remove and rechromed. (I think...)
i found a replacement part for like 40 bucks. I just need to figure out how to take the chrome part off that is attached to the hood.

anyone?
Old 09-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Quick Reply: DIY : taking off front grill (pics)