AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Photograph Gallery (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-photograph-gallery-99/)
-   -   Cleared + Painted Housing & Brushed-Aluminum Grille Frame *Pics* (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-photograph-gallery-99/cleared-painted-housing-brushed-aluminum-grille-frame-%2Apics%2A-567498/)

subtledreamer 01-17-2005 11:15 PM

Cleared + Painted Housing & Brushed-Aluminum Grille Frame *Pics*

Spent a longgg time working on them the past weekend, but the end results are well worth it imo! :D

Headlights: disassemble, bake, pop off orange diffuser, 4 layers of primer, wet sand, 3 layers of paint, wet sand, 2 layers of paint, wet sand, last layer of paint, wet sand, 3 layers of clear coat, wet sand, bake + reassemble.
you can imagine how long the painting alone took...

here are some pics, comments very welcomed! :)

http://files.subtledream.com/TL/IMG_0411.jpg
http://files.subtledream.com/TL/IMG_0414.jpg
http://files.subtledream.com/TL/IMG_0418.jpg
http://files.subtledream.com/TL/IMG_0419.jpg

aaronnn 01-17-2005 11:21 PM

THAT RIGHT THERE, IS FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL!!!! how long did it take youuu????? i gave up after i took it all apart.. it took too long, i was planning on painting it, but instead i just put everything back together and took a shower and fell asleep for the rest of the day

subtledreamer 01-17-2005 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by aaronnn
THAT RIGHT THERE, IS FREAKIN BEAUTIFUL!!!! how long did it take youuu????? i gave up after i took it all apart.. it took too long, i was planning on painting it, but instead i just put everything back together and took a shower and fell asleep for the rest of the day

LOL.

let's see... i started on Saturday in the evening (7?), and by 11ish we had the headlights opened up and diffuser off, with 1 or 2 coats of primer on.
Sunday i spent 3-4 hours finishing up with the primer, added all the paint, and cleared coated it. Then later on that night, another hour and a half putting it all back together.

and this was with 3 people working on it (except for the painting part).

btw thanks for the compliment! :)

moahdriven 01-17-2005 11:27 PM

damn man, that looks frickin nice. thought about doin the same with my FRP, but i think it looks best on SSM and NBP. very very nice, especially on that grille, that looks soooooooooooo good.

aaronnn 01-17-2005 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by subtledreamer
LOL.

let's see... i started on Saturday in the evening (7?), and by 11ish we had the headlights opened up and diffuser off, with 1 or 2 coats of primer on.
Sunday i spent 3-4 hours finishing up with the primer, added all the paint, and cleared coated it. Then later on that night, another hour and a half putting it all back together.

and this was with 3 people working on it (except for the painting part).

btw thanks for the compliment! :)

aww man, i cant do that. hahaha im too busy with work even on weekends. and usually sunday are my "catch up with sleep" days. haha it still looks good, im happy i got that orange reflector off my car.

but man you did a great job. really nice look on your car. hopefully i'll be able to do that when the weather warms up a little here. its too cold even to stand out there trying to pull the bumper off.

AznWay 01-17-2005 11:40 PM

Look Great just like mine..
Now only thing left to do is get Chrome amber bulb..:biggrin:

http://www.acurainspired.com/gallery...420_p31242.jpg

subtledreamer 01-17-2005 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by AznWayTL's
Look Great just like mine..
Now only thing left to do is get Chrome amber bulb..:biggrin:

Yep! yours looks good too.
i didn't paint my grille frame though, but yeah. haha and for the light bulb, most likely not going to change it anytime soon, i don't mind the orange one at all. :)

Originally Posted by aaronnn
aww man, i cant do that. hahaha im too busy with work even on weekends. and usually sunday are my "catch up with sleep" days. haha it still looks good, im happy i got that orange reflector off my car.

but man you did a great job. really nice look on your car. hopefully i'll be able to do that when the weather warms up a little here. its too cold even to stand out there trying to pull the bumper off.

Yeah... it was a LOT of work.
But its cool man, it looks great just cleared already! :D

Originally Posted by moahdriven
damn man, that looks frickin nice. thought about doin the same with my FRP, but i think it looks best on SSM and NBP. very very nice, especially on that grille, that looks soooooooooooo good.

thanksss! ;)
you know what i think would be hot on your FRP tho? body-colored housing! hmmm sizzzzzzzzzzle...

TL_Fo_Life 01-18-2005 12:12 AM

I have a 200 tl and ive thought of doin the same. THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!! :bow:

dark inspire 01-18-2005 12:14 AM

wikid bro! props subtledreamer, wanna do mine? :p

z3Ro 01-18-2005 12:20 AM

both grilles look sick as hell...great job guys...i need to know how to take my headlites out...n i wana clear them...i do like the blacked out look alot...but i have a naples gold tl...CF hood soon n gunmetal rims too...

El pana/TL32 01-18-2005 12:33 AM

Nice work brother! And good job on such creative shots!

AsianRage 01-18-2005 01:31 AM

Very nice job. Good job on the photography as well.

DAVERUBINO 01-18-2005 06:10 AM

Here's a good guy to get Silver Vision bulbs from cheap on eBay. I got mine from hime for my '02 tails. Good price and service. " ctlumination"

AcuraTl203 01-18-2005 09:54 AM

hey looks nice...when u take that difuser out theres a big hole in the headlight? i thought there was some kind of backing?

soccerbenk 01-18-2005 07:19 PM

how did you get the brushed aluminum affect?

55M2G7L 01-18-2005 08:30 PM

lloks awesome

subtledreamer 01-18-2005 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dark DJ
wikid bro! props subtledreamer, wanna do mine? :p

all i need is an airplane ticket, a few letters to my professors, and some good company ;)

Originally Posted by AcuraTl203
hey looks nice...when u take that difuser out theres a big hole in the headlight? i thought there was some kind of backing?

no big hole really, you can tell from one of the pics, just 2 small holes where the tabs of the orange diffuser used to be. it's not too noticable.

Originally Posted by El pana/TL32
Nice work brother! And good job on such creative shots!

Originally Posted by AsianRage
Very nice job. Good job on the photography as well.

Originally Posted by TL_Fo_Life
I have a 200 tl and ive thought of doin the same. THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!! :bow:

i appreciate the compliments you guys! :D

Originally Posted by DAVERUBINO
Here's a good guy to get Silver Vision bulbs from cheap on eBay. I got mine from hime for my '02 tails. Good price and service. " ctlumination"

cool i'll check them out in a little bit :)

55M2G7L 01-18-2005 08:32 PM

that top one is gonna be my new wall paper :D

subtledreamer 01-18-2005 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by 55M2G7L
that top one is gonna be my new wall paper :D

Wow, I am honored bro! :toocool:

Would you like a larger version of it by any chance? :D

fsttyms1 01-18-2005 09:15 PM

Looks great.

Ill be doing that soon to mine. im hoping to do it in a day :D ill be doing illtl's (brian) in a few weeks at teh same time (just clearing his)

AsianRage 01-18-2005 09:27 PM

Wow, I am honored bro! :toocool:

Would you like a larger version of it by any chance? :D

OOOh, can you PM me a link?

benzo555 01-18-2005 10:29 PM

looks terrific! I like!

subtledreamer 01-18-2005 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Looks great.

Ill be doing that soon to mine. im hoping to do it in a day :D ill be doing illtl's (brian) in a few weeks at teh same time (just clearing his)

sweet! that sounds good :D

Originally Posted by AsianRage
OOOh, can you PM me a link?

PM sent. :)

Originally Posted by benzo555
looks terrific! I like!

thx man!

99TLKID 01-19-2005 09:43 AM

where did you get your guages from....I want some!!

@cUr@-TL 01-19-2005 11:59 AM

AWESOME!! props to you man!! :bow:

car_lost 01-19-2005 12:09 PM

how did u get the brushed aluminum effect on the grille?

are the headlights painted silver to match the color of the car or did u do the same brushed aluminum effect to them... cant really tell.

Da_iLLeZt_TL973 01-19-2005 01:30 PM

looks beautiful.....i was gonna do that this summer i had spoken to mr. about doing mine it looks beautiful good job man :thumbsup:

mattg 01-19-2005 02:21 PM

nice work, reminds me of mine. i skipped the primer step though as it was not necessary.

3 coats SSM, 2 coats clear.

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/a...0501190008.JPG

http://photos.imageevent.com/mattg/a...0501190009.JPG

subtledreamer 01-19-2005 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by 99TLKID
where did you get your guages from....I want some!!

i bought them from ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW

they can be a slight pain to install though. if you want i can give u the link to the DIY i wrote up.

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
AWESOME!! props to you man!! :bow:

Originally Posted by Da_iLLeZt_TL973
looks beautiful.....i was gonna do that this summer i had spoken to mr. about doing mine it looks beautiful good job man :thumbsup:

thx guys!

Originally Posted by mattg
nice work, reminds me of mine. i skipped the primer step though as it was not necessary.

3 coats SSM, 2 coats clear.

yours looks great too!

yeah, i knew i could have just sprayed painted over the chrome but wanted to play safe, sanded down the chrome completely and then went with the steps i said. its worth the extra effort for piece of mind (that the paint wont chip and such) :)

Originally Posted by car_lost
how did u get the brushed aluminum effect on the grille?

are the headlights painted silver to match the color of the car or did u do the same brushed aluminum effect to them... cant really tell.

brushed-alu: sorry man, i cannot disclose the info on doing that... :keke: <-- keke smiley* secret formula my friends and i figured out.

as for the paint, it was just a nice metallic silver spray i picked up from the local autostore (its pretty close to SSM). i wasn't trying to match the body color as i have HSM (heather mist) and it has a slight shade of gold. i simply wanted metallic silver housing and a fresh look on the grille, so im really happy with the results since it's exactly what i wanted them to be. :)

car_lost 01-19-2005 03:09 PM

did the brushed aluminum effect by any chance involve a brillo pad?

p.s. thats pretty messed up you wont share that info... but w/e... only you can choose to disclose that information.

AcuraTl203 01-19-2005 03:23 PM

can u post a pic of the side of the headlight where the orange used to be? thanx

mattg 01-19-2005 03:29 PM

yours looks great too!

yeah, i knew i could have just sprayed painted over the chrome but wanted to play safe, sanded down the chrome completely and then went with the steps i said. its worth the extra effort for piece of mind (that the paint wont chip and such) :)

i completely scuffed the chrome w/ a grey scotchbrite pad befor i base coated it, and i know i got great adhesion. chipping really isn't a concern because the surface is behind a plastic cover. :D

but there is nothing wrong w/ you playing it extra safe.

subtledreamer 01-19-2005 08:26 PM

can u post a pic of the side of the headlight where the orange used to be? thanx

you can tell from this pic that the orange diffuser is gone... see the hole connected to where the turn signal bulb is?

Originally Posted by mattg
i completely scuffed the chrome w/ a grey scotchbrite pad befor i base coated it, and i know i got great adhesion. chipping really isn't a concern because the surface is behind a plastic cover. :D

but there is nothing wrong w/ you playing it extra safe.

: agree : <-- since the smileys still aren't working O__O

did the brushed aluminum effect by any chance involve a brillo pad?

p.s. thats pretty messed up you wont share that info... but w/e... only you can choose to disclose that information.

you make me feel bad now bro... u've got PM.

car_lost 01-19-2005 09:19 PM

change the amber bulb to a chrome amber one... makes the cleared out look, look 10 times better... dont get those blue/ hyper white bulbs... they blink yellowish compared to the HID's and it just doesnt look right.

InspireUA5 01-20-2005 03:06 AM

Very nice.... it is the best looking for UA4!!!

Type S Lady 01-20-2005 07:25 AM

Wow SubtleDreamer, looks hot. :thumbsup:

AcuraTl203 01-20-2005 10:41 AM

[QUOTE=subtledreamer]you can tell from this pic that the orange diffuser is gone... see the hole connected to where the turn signal bulb is?

: agree : <-- since the smileys still aren't working O__O
i can tell the diffusers gone but it looks like a black rectangular hole there now, did u paint it black? i thought there was chrome behind the diffuser?

subtledreamer 01-20-2005 11:05 AM

i can tell the diffusers gone but it looks like a black rectangular hole there now, did u paint it black? i thought there was chrome behind the diffuser?

Yeah, but it's not black where the diffuser used to be. The chrome was sanded down and silver paint was also sprayed in that area just like the rest of the housing. I guess it looks like it's black because the angle and lighting of the shot.

I'll post up a brighter shot in a little bit, stay tuned. :)

subtledreamer 01-20-2005 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Type S Lady
Wow SubtleDreamer, looks hot. :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by InspireUA5
Very nice.... it is the best looking for UA4!!!

mmm thank you m'lady and mr. inspire :D

change the amber bulb to a chrome amber one... makes the cleared out look, look 10 times better... dont get those blue/ hyper white bulbs... they blink yellowish compared to the HID's and it just doesnt look right.

yeah i'll definately keep that in mind later, thx for the tip!

hangbok 01-20-2005 05:29 PM

very hot!