Tune up and mild mod. reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 01:55 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tune up and mild mod. reccomendations

Hello all,

I am a newby to these forums. I own a 2000 TL with about 87,000 miles. Everything stock except for a trailer hitch and new tranny from Acura at around 75,000 miles. Car is still a blast to drive but it feels a bit slughish. I think it is because it needs a tune up. I know Acura schedules tune ups after 100k miles but I don't know... I think the car could do better and it does not feel right..

I have put Mobil 1 on it since first oil change. Other than that pretty much routine maintenance.

Now here is what I am thinking about doing to the car and where I need suggestions/tips..

For engine tune up
------------------------
- change air filter (think about getting cold air intake)
- oil change
- spark plug change (which brand?)
- change the distrubution belt. (is this needed/recommended now?)
- change water pump. I guess this is routine with distrubution belt change
- what else should I change/replace? ignition wires?

here are some of the mid modifications I am thinking of
---------------------------------------------------------------------
- Eibach Pro-Kit 4041.140
- new shocks (which brand?)
- AEM V2 Cold Air Intake

Idea is to help breathing/performance and prepare suspension for bigger rims (17" OEM) when current tires wear out.

what you guys think? Could this be all done under $1500 bucks installed? I am thinking about shopping online for the parts and have a local mechanic do the installs.

thanks and all comments welcome
Old 08-16-2006, 09:19 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
CAI is a good idea. for maintenance seafoam your car, run some BG 44K or gumout regane fuel system cleaner after your oil change. clean your TB butterfly with some TB/air intake cleaner and check/clean your battery terminals and you should be very happy with the difference. eibach pro-kit is a good choice. I will probably get those in the future also.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:30 PM
Thread Police Chief

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with AEM for your intake for sure. Koni Yellows or Tokico Illuminas for shocks. The pro-kit or H&R springs. If you dont drop for a CAI go with a K&N drop in. Plugs: NGK Platinums (OEM), or NGK Iridium IX's - better efficiency, idle, and response. Distribution belt? Do you mean the timing belt? If so, you can wait on that, along with the water pump; but now isnt bad either. We dont have ignition wires, we have coil packs. Unless you have misfiring codes and its not the plugs, the ones you have now are fine. Take your intake manifold out yourself and clean it out really good. Dremel out the grooves in the plenum cover, and clean out the EGR port. You can even do a slight polishing job on the intake runners if you want. Make sure the throttle body is fully closed at idle. Do an idle reset.

For reseting idle, remove fuse 13 for ten seconds on the passenger side cabin fuse box. Its the 7.5 "clock backup" fuse. Just start the car cold, hold the RPMS @ around 3000 until the fans kick on or engine is warm. Leave the car running for 5 minutes at idle. restart car.
Old 08-17-2006, 09:33 AM
9th Gear

adamlee05 yea I meant timing belt.. sorry about that.. it is my Spanglish to blame :-) in Spanish "cadena de distribucion".. and ignition wires.. what I am thinking about.. I guess I could never let go my old 1983 bmw 320i hehe..
ok then here is the good stuff so far.. I hope I got this right now..
----------------------------------
Parts
- Eibach Pro-Kit 4041.140 $240
- Tokico Illuminas $345 ?
- AEM V2 Cold Air Intake $250
- NGK Iridium IX(6) $50
- crank pulley $50 +new belts
- water pump y timing belt $100

For tune up do
---------------------------
- Clean intake manifold
- Clean EGR port
- Dremel out the grooves in the plenum cover? uh? what is this?
- polishing job on the intake runners? same thing what is this?
- Make sure the throttle body is fully closed at idle. Do an idle reset.
- seafoam ? what is this?
- BG 44K or gumout regane fuel system cleaner
- Mobil1 oil change $40
- clean your TB butterfly
---------------------------
Some of the stuff up there I still need to research..
So far I see about 1k in parts.. How much is this going to cost me? I was thinking staying as close as possible to $1k. Anyone knows a good mechanic in Central FL. area who can do this for me? I get the parts..
Thanks for the info. so far..
Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

To read the codes for ABS, What is the name of the device?

I would like to know if I can buy this device. My ABS, Brake and TSC lights are all on. I do not have a clue if this device is cheap or not or even what is called.
If I change the speed sensors on the front wheels (in case if they are causing the problem), the lights go off by themself or they need to be somehow reset?
Thanks