Thinking of getting Comptech Icebox for 03 TL-S but have a few ??'s..

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006 | 05:35 PM
Instructor

Thinking of getting Comptech Icebox for 03 TL-S but have a few ??'s..

yes i did a search first.....

what have some of you noticed w/ before and after install of the CT icebox with stock headers and exhaust.

I really dont believe the results from their website because I know there are too many variables for a false positive.
I had a prior bad experience w/ comptech headers on my 94 Integra GSR. Ad claimed 13-17 hp w/ the bolt on header. NOT!!! i was making the same power as a stock GSR and the flanges were rusting out on me.

So I am looking for real world results, before I give out almost 3 bills, and wanting some input.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2006 | 06:15 PM
Senior Moderator

The CT Icebox has shown the larges HP gains of the intakes for the TL. It is also the quietest of the intakes
Old 03-14-2006 | 06:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

get a Kand N drop in and it will sound more agressive ............but not by much.So far i'm happy with it although I do have a few mods...............I owned AEM before ,only really miss that AEM "noise"
Old 03-14-2006 | 06:53 PM
Wallace, LA

I have one and I like it. It growls really nice once the car hits VTEC, but is otherwise quiet in the low RPM ranges. No need to worry about hydrolocking with this intake either as the filter is in the engine bay and not behind the bumper. I'm very happy with her.
Old 03-14-2006 | 09:23 PM
Instructor

all i hear about is sound. im not interested in sound even tho quiet is very nice and i like it and having some growl w/ WOT is expected but has anyone done a before and after dyno run with before and after install of the CT icebox?

like i said im looking for real world results of performance, sound not optional.

thanks.
Old 03-15-2006 | 01:05 AM
All go, no show

Great Q. Sadly, i'm pretty sure the answer is no. Just gotta trust the butt-dyno I guess..
Old 03-15-2006 | 03:33 AM
Drifting

You either trust the CT numbers and buy the Icebox or you don't. Simple as that. Not that many people on AZ do dyno runs anyway and of the ones who do, I can't recall anyone ever doing one after just adding a CAI.
Old 03-15-2006 | 07:47 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by MikePA
You either trust the CT numbers and buy the Icebox or you don't. Simple as that. Not that many people on AZ do dyno runs anyway and of the ones who do, I can't recall anyone ever doing one after just adding a CAI.
i'd be willing to do it. i have an AEM on now and i'm thinking about getting the ice box myself for the sound. if i do i will happily do a new dyno run. i mean yeah it's kinda silly to shell out $60 every time you do a mod but it helps to know if it works or not.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
The CT Icebox has shown the larges HP gains of the intakes for the TL. It is also the quietest of the intakes.
are you sure about this? i thought the AEM was said to be the highest? i guess i need to go back and re-read some posts.

SSTS
Old 03-15-2006 | 08:40 AM
Instructor

Talking

Originally Posted by MikePA
so if u decide to buy the CT IB and dont get the result u want, what does that make u think of CT? You should have some skepticism in their marketing ploy to make u buy their products. You know a manufacturer will bloat their numbers to make the end result favorable. So long story short, I dont believe CT dyno #'s.

Thats why I would like to see individual results or an independent test that will try all types of CAI's and see which one fairs the best. And thats all Im asking.
I like the stock look of the CT IB and dont want the possible detrimental effects of hydrolocking also.

so SSTS, if ur up to the challenge that would be great.

It would also be great if any of the vendors who sell all the different types of CAI's, headers, and exhausts would do a dyno test comparison on all the products they sell. they could cut down on inventory that ones that dont perform as advertised and keep the ones that do.
It would also be a wake up call for those manufacturers who talk out their butts that say their I/H/E gives the most gains.

Da Truff is in Da puddin'
Old 03-24-2006 | 07:11 PM
Instructor

well i guess im gonna go ahead and do my own testing and R and D.

i found a great deal on a used CT icebox and so ill try and get before and after dyno runs.
Old 03-24-2006 | 07:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

cool make sure to post you results then............And what dyno you going to use? Make sure to recreate weather,temp,and other variables...........Good Luck
Old 03-24-2006 | 07:49 PM
All go, no show

Originally Posted by stick
so if u decide to buy the CT IB and dont get the result u want, what does that make u think of CT? You should have some skepticism in their marketing ploy to make u buy their products. You know a manufacturer will bloat their numbers to make the end result favorable. So long story short, I dont believe CT dyno #'s.

Thats why I would like to see individual results or an independent test that will try all types of CAI's and see which one fairs the best. And thats all Im asking.
I like the stock look of the CT IB and dont want the possible detrimental effects of hydrolocking also.

so SSTS, if ur up to the challenge that would be great.

It would also be great if any of the vendors who sell all the different types of CAI's, headers, and exhausts would do a dyno test comparison on all the products they sell. they could cut down on inventory that ones that dont perform as advertised and keep the ones that do.
It would also be a wake up call for those manufacturers who talk out their butts that say their I/H/E gives the most gains.

Da Truff is in Da puddin'

Good to see someone who's inquisitive and doesn't just blindly trust a company's dyno #s. I'm curious about the effects of a CAI, particularly the CT Icebox. Honestly, the only mod that i've done to my car that I actually KNEW made a difference were headers... it was such a night and day difference, esp. at high RPMs. Everything else though, I've always wanted to see dyno'd cuz I really couldn't tell if there was actually a difference, or if it was in my head.
Old 03-24-2006 | 08:19 PM
Racer

Those dyno charts dont look so hot even if they are true. They dont have charts for a TL but on the TSX the gains were barely 2-3 HP and in some parts of the curve it actually lost HP. It seems like its also more productive at high RPMs.
Old 03-24-2006 | 09:46 PM
Instructor

like i said, what ruined my attitude toward comptech is when they claimed 13-17 hp on a integra GSR with their headers. after spending almost 6 bills on the headers and putting it on, i made the same hp as a stock GSR.
Old 03-24-2006 | 09:48 PM
Senior Moderator

There are dynos of the comptech and its proven to be the most hp of any of the intakes. Do some searching of this forum better and the CL forum.
Old 03-25-2006 | 09:12 AM
Racer

I think you should just pick up a crank for the RL and stroke it to a 3.5
Old 03-25-2006 | 12:21 PM
Former Sponsor

The Comptech Icebox is tried and true. You will be happy. PM me if you need one.
Old 03-31-2006 | 05:37 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

^bump^

just to put my money where my mouth is, i just ordered an icebox from excelerate the other day. i'll get it dyno'd as soon as it comes and i have some free time to drive to my friend's shop.

i'll post the charts with my AEM and with my Icebox to see what we get. unfortunately it won't be the exact same temperature or humidity out (since i had my last dyno with the AEM in august) but i don't feel like waiting 5 more months.

SSTS
Old 03-31-2006 | 05:49 PM
Instructor

do u have stock dyno #'s on ur car?? each and every car will have different HP/TQ #'s.
Old 03-31-2006 | 08:18 PM
Back in the slow lane.

As far as sound is concerned, once you hit the high rpm's, you are gonna hear it whether or not. You can have an icebox, AEM, or Injen, when you hit vtec, it's gonna growl. As far as normal driving, I didn't notice a difference between the stock vs my Injen CAI, or very little. And as far as hydrolocking, water would have to be up to over half the wheel to get to the filter. Therefore, I don't drive into creeks
Old 04-03-2006 | 06:58 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

do u have stock dyno #'s on ur car?? each and every car will have different HP/TQ #'s.
yeah, if you do a search under my name you can check out my stock dynos (with AEM actually because when i bought the car the AEM was allready in it) and my dyno with my megans and AEM.

to make the deal even sweeter i may get some used comptechs, in which case i'll do yet another dyno for a real life comparison.

SSTS
Old 04-03-2006 | 08:50 AM
Instructor

cool. looks like my R&D is gonna have to wait. the icebox i was hoping to get fell thru.
so i may just pick up a new one after a little more saving.
Old 04-16-2006 | 02:59 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

just installed my new icebox yesterday. i'll try and get a new dyno friday or saturday but my schedule is going to be a little hectic so i may not get to it for another week or so. so far i like it. it has a nice sound to it at WOT. not loud like the AEM, but refined and authoritative. throttle response is nice. we'll see what it's like when the car gets used to it over the next few days.

SSTS
Old 04-16-2006 | 04:29 PM
Instructor

sounds great.

how was the install? pretty easy?
Old 04-17-2006 | 06:19 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

sounds great.

how was the install? pretty easy?
well the first time i tried putting it in i couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get it to sit all the way down, so i gave up since it was getting dark and figured i would do it another day.

when i did it saturday it was easy as hell because i realized what i was doing wrong. it was also quick because my coolant was allready bypassed for the previous owner to install the aem intake. had i followed the instructions right it probably would have been a 30 minute install.

i will say though that with the k&n filter in the box top doesn't seem to line up right. a little wierd.

SSTS
Old 04-17-2006 | 03:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think it comes stock with a Blue Uni cone filter.........did you already buy a K&N?I recommend getting one.....thats my current set up.
Old 04-18-2006 | 05:55 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by Phesto
I think it comes stock with a Blue Uni cone filter.........did you already buy a K&N?I recommend getting one.....thats my current set up.
yeah i ordered the k&n the same day i ordered the icebox so i would have them together. i didn't want to mess with that blue POS.

i put it on last saturday afternoon and this morning (tuesday morning) i am still saying to myself that it's better than the aem. i did kind of like the loudness of the aem but the icebox sound is so much more refined. throttle response is much better too.

SSTS