short-ram intake question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
short-ram intake question...

Hey guys I just had a questions about short-ram intakes for a 2002 TL-P(non Type-S). I want to buy an intake for it but I'm a little paranoid about the potential hydrolock risk of a CAI plus the extra money and extra hassle of installation but I didn't want to lose the performance benefits of the cold air.

So I was thinking that if I did buy an AEM or Injen short-ram intake, remove the stock resonator, then get some duct tubing and run it down into that tunnel where the stock intake resonator was and then just bring the other end of the duct tubing right up to the front of the cone filter at the end of the short-ram intake.

I figured that this would give me the best of both worlds, it would give a very similar ram-air effect with the colder denser air from the outside and bring it directly into the cone filter of the SRI and without running the risk of hydrolock while saving me money and saving me the extra hassle of installing an traditional AEM/Injen CAI.

Has anyone ever done anything like this with their SRI, and what do you guys think of this idea? Should it function as I'm expecting it to? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the bypass valve is what you get for CAI so it doesn't hydro lock. and you should be ok without one unless you plan on driving through a few inches of water daily.

if you do it the way your thinking, i would at least put a sleeve over the filter just in case some water droplets does get pushed up the tubing into the filter
Old 07-31-2010, 05:39 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
If your fender liners and splash guard are still there, then you should have NO problems with hydrolock. Assuming you don't go driving into 2 ft of water...
Old 07-31-2010, 11:22 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
go turbo, then you won't have to worry about hydrolock
Old 08-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Advanced

But would it function similar to a traditional CAI if I installed an AEM/Injen SRI, removed the stock intake resonator, and ran some duct tubing down through the hole that the resonator leaves when you remove it and then put the other end of the tube directly in front of the SRI's cone filter so that it gets a constant flow of cold, dense air and without running the risk of hydrolock while saving me money and hassle of installing a traditonal CAI?

I was thinking about maybe just going the Comptech Icebox route but it's fairly expensive. I want an intake setup that gives at least somewhat of a deeper more aggressive engine note than the stock intake, some people say the Comptech Icebox is noticeably louder than the stock intake and other people say that its nearly as quiet as the stock intake so I'm kinda confused. I know that the Icebox isn't quite as loud as AEM or Injen but can anyone confirm that it DOES sound good and that it's at least relatively deeper and more aggressive sounding than stock? Does anyone have a video of their TL with just the Comptech Icebox on it with a hard/WOT run? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if your just looking for a deeper sound, just remove the stock systems intake resonator. its in the diy section, i would say try that first and if you like it stick to it. and its gonna save you the most if you do like because its free
Old 08-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by youngson141
well if your just looking for a deeper sound, just remove the stock systems intake resonator. its in the diy section, i would say try that first and if you like it stick to it. and its gonna save you the most if you do like because its free
OK maybe I will try that, but just out of sheer curiosity, if I did get an AEM/Injen SRI and remove the stock resonator and put in some duct tubing down the hole and right in front of the SRI's cone filter would it essentially function like I'm expecting it to as in giving the SRI a steady supply of colder denser air similar to a CAI without the risk of hydrolock?

Also can anyone give me a detailed description of how the Comptech Icebox (just by itself) would sound throughout the rev-range on my 2002 TL-P(non Type-S)?