Onstar

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 01:25 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Onstar

Does anyone have ONSTAR on their car and found out Analog is going away at the end of this year? Can we do anything about this? They do have a Analog/Digital ONSTAR.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear

Onstar

Hey..
I found out that I have until December of this year and then it's bascially trash. Would love to know if there's anything out there as an upgrade.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 AM
Instructor

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR 2003 TL OWNERS ABOUT ONSTAR ANALOG SERVICE TERMINATION:

Since it was launched in 1996, OnStar has relied on an analog wireless network to provide communication to and from OnStar-equipped vehicles. Today, the analog network continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the United States and Canada. However, wireless carriers in the U.S. and Canada have begun to shift from analog to digital networks.

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has ruled that wireless carriers, like Verizon and Cingular, will no longer be required to support the analog wireless network as of early 2008. As a result, the analog infrastructure is disappearing in the U.S. Beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar service in the U.S. and Canada will only be available through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

As a result of these actions, Acura and OnStar will no longer be supporting Analog OnStar service as of December 31, 2007.

The turn-off of analog OnStar service to this vehicle includes loss of automatic airbag deployment notification, along with the rest of OnStar’s current services.

Due to the complicated nature of converting to digital technology, Acura and OnStar will be unable to retrofit this vehicle for future OnStar use after the termination date. If you have any questions regarding analog service termination, contact your Acura Dealer or see the following list of Frequently Asked Questions:

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT ONSTAR ANALOG SERVICE TERMINATION:

What different types of equipment do Acura OnStar-equipped vehicles have?
All OnStar-equipped vehicles have one of two types of equipment:

Analog-Only: OnStar-equipped vehicles with analog-only equipment were designed to operate only on the analog wireless network and cannot be upgraded for digital network compatibility. Vehicles with this equipment will no longer be able to receive OnStar services beginning January 1, 2008. At that time, service will be available only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. Analog-only vehicles cannot be upgraded to digital equipment.

Dual-Mode (Analog/Digital): Vehicles that operate with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment operate on both networks and will not require an upgrade in connection with the industry’s transition to the digital network.

What kind of hardware does my OnStar-equipped vehicle have?
To determine the equipment type in an OnStar-equipped vehicle, you may:

What you do... If the system responds... Then the vehicle's equipment is...
Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button.

(If there is no white-dot or phone button, the vehicle has an analog-only system.)

System replies "Ready" Analog-Only
Step #1: Press the white-dot or phone button.

Step #2: Say "Help" System replies "OnStar Ready"
Along with other options, you hear one of these digital-specific options: "Advisor Playback," "Digit Dial" or "Digit Store." Dual-Mode
(Analog/Digital)

What is analog?
Analog wireless service operates in the 800 MHz frequency range. Analog service transmits voice on a continuous radio wave using frequency modulation similar to an FM radio. All 800 MHz analog systems operate under a common industry standard, known as Advanced Mobile Phone Services (AMPS).

Why is digital the new alternative?
Digital technology allows a higher volume of cellular communication everywhere with clearer quality overall.

How does the transition to the digital network affect me right now?
You don’t need to do anything at this time. The analog network still has the most extensive coverage available in the U.S. and Canada. In addition, the FCC ruling requires wireless carriers to support the analog network until early 2008.

Will I still be able to get an OnStar subscription after January 1, 2008?
Yes, OnStar service will be available to vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. If your vehicle has analog-only equipment, you will not be able to receive OnStar service as of January 1, 2008.

Will my OnStar-equipped vehicle’s analog-only system still work after January 1, 2008?
No. As of early 2008, wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog network. Therefore, beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar will offer service only through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment.

Digital service has been around for a while – why does OnStar still utilize analog service?
When OnStar was launched in 1996, analog was the most prevalent wireless service available and provided the widest range of coverage for nationwide service. Even today, analog continues to provide the most extensive coverage across the U.S. and Canada. Vehicle manufacturers are now producing most OnStar-equipped vehicles with dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment, and are expected to produce only dual-mode (analog/digital) OnStar-equipped vehicles by 2006.

Will a digital upgrade program be available for subscribers with analog-only?
No. Due to the complicated nature of converting to digital technology, Acura and OnStar will be unable to retrofit these vehicles for future OnStar use after the termination date.

What is the FCC?
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is a U.S. government agency charged with regulating interstate and international communications by radio, television, wire, satellite and cable. The FCC’s jurisdiction covers the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and U.S. possessions.

Where do I go with questions about the FCC ruling regarding the wireless transition from analog to digital networks?
For more information about the FCC ruling, visit www.fcc.gov, or click here for a downloadable version of the ruling.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:56 AM
I'M DONE HERE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that sucks now all I have is a nice light show on my rearview mirror