AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-116/)
-   -   Oem lip kit sourcing in Canada for 2001 TL (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-116/oem-lip-kit-sourcing-canada-2001-tl-980465/)

Johan Chandy 06-22-2019 11:12 PM

Oem lip kit sourcing in Canada for 2001 TL

Where can I find an oem lip kit in Canada or a good aftermarket replacement? I'm in Ontario.

All the aftermarket ones I'm seeing don't seem to be polyurethane

Karanx7 06-23-2019 12:23 PM

Welcome to AZine, Johan Chandy.

Silencer_ 06-23-2019 01:54 PM

In terms of an OEM lip kit, it's gonna be tough. I picked up my OEM sideskirts and rear lip from Heeltoe Automotive and it was one of the last sets they had in stock. I got super lucky. This was a couple years ago so I'm not sure if they still have any in stock. You can try to check craigslist and see if anyone is parting out their 2nd Gen TL. OEM front lips are super rare. If anyone is selling one, they usually sell it for top dollar. I'm STILL looking for one lol. Mine is aftermarket from Wings West.

Good luck, OP!

Pics relevant.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...31990b4406.jpg
OEM rear lip and sideskirts.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...a061062ae2.jpg
Wings West front lip.

Johan Chandy 06-23-2019 04:42 PM

@Karanx7 Thank you for the kind welcome!!

@Silencer_ Thank you for all the useful info, I'll call those places.

The pics look amazing, I hope I can make my gold TL look close to that hopefully! I'll try to but if I can't find the oem kit would the aftermarket parts still be alright? Have you had any issues with yours?

Thank you both for responding :)

snip33r 06-28-2019 12:07 PM

since you are from Ontario, look into junk yard or kijiji to see if you can find OEM lip kit

Silencer_ 06-28-2019 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Johan Chandy (Post 16443406)
@Silencer_ Thank you for all the useful info, I'll call those places.

The pics look amazing, I hope I can make my gold TL look close to that hopefully! I'll try to but if I can't find the oem kit would the aftermarket parts still be alright? Have you had any issues with yours?

Thank you both for responding :)

I'm not too sure about the fitment of the aftermarket sideskirts and rear lip, but my Wings West aftermarket front lip was a decent fit. I just wish I cut off the winglets on the sides before I got it painted because it totally disrupts the smooth body lines of the car. However, I DO know a user on here by the name of HairyMonkey019 who was rockin' the Wings West kit. It looked amazing. You will have to take some time out of your day and scroll through his build process, but I believe I've seen it floating around somewhere on his thread and the kit was fully installed. I remembered it looked awesome. I personally opted for the OEM kit just because it was available, however, if it wasn't, you bet I'd be rockin' the Wings West kit.

As for issues with my aftermarket front lip, nothing too problematic. Fitment isn't 100%, but that's because it's not OEM so whaddya expect, right? Lol. I actually love the polyurethane lip because of the fact that it can take some abuse without cracking or breaking. However, if you live in a hot area, the aftermarket polyurethane kit DOES have a chance of sagging. That's because when polyurethane is exposed to heat for long periods of time (for example, your car is parked under the hot sun), it starts to bend and becomes flexible. This is a good and bad thing because if your car is low and your front lip hits the curb, it doesn't break. The bad part is when the weather is hot, the lip might look like it's sagging or droopy.

:alert: Click on this link to see HairyMonkey019's build thread.

Good luck, OP! Can't wait to see some pics of your progress!

Johan Chandy 07-04-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by snip33r (Post 16445914)
since you are from Ontario, look into junk yard or kijiji to see if you can find OEM lip kit

Thank you! I'll drive around and check the junk yards, today seems like a nice day to do that

Originally Posted by Silencer_ (Post 16446035)
I'm not too sure about the fitment of the aftermarket sideskirts and rear lip, but my Wings West aftermarket front lip was a decent fit. I just wish I cut off the winglets on the sides before I got it painted because it totally disrupts the smooth body lines of the car. However, I DO know a user on here by the name of HairyMonkey019 who was rockin' the Wings West kit. It looked amazing. You will have to take some time out of your day and scroll through his build process, but I believe I've seen it floating around somewhere on his thread and the kit was fully installed. I remembered it looked awesome. I personally opted for the OEM kit just because it was available, however, if it wasn't, you bet I'd be rockin' the Wings West kit.

As for issues with my aftermarket front lip, nothing too problematic. Fitment isn't 100%, but that's because it's not OEM so whaddya expect, right? Lol. I actually love the polyurethane lip because of the fact that it can take some abuse without cracking or breaking. However, if you live in a hot area, the aftermarket polyurethane kit DOES have a chance of sagging. That's because when polyurethane is exposed to heat for long periods of time (for example, your car is parked under the hot sun), it starts to bend and becomes flexible. This is a good and bad thing because if your car is low and your front lip hits the curb, it doesn't break. The bad part is when the weather is hot, the lip might look like it's sagging or droopy.

:alert: Click on this link to see HairyMonkey019's build thread.

Good luck, OP! Can't wait to see some pics of your progress!

Thank you soo much! The temperature was a good point and why it may be better to avoid polyurethane in my case as the cold winters may cause issues with the material? The summers though short are hot as well and I'd imagine all the temperature variability can't be good for the material although I love the fact that it is durable, the fear I have with fiberglass is bumping the front lip into parking car stoppers, but it looks like that may be the way to go for me.