J35A3 (MDX/RL) rod strength...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:03 AM
J-series addict

Received 615 Likes on 465 Posts
J35A3 (MDX/RL) rod strength...

Ok, so Im about to be doing a 3.5 conversion on my 03 TL-S and have hit somewhat of a roadblock and need some answers...or maybe even experience dealing with the matter.

To catch you guys up, Im using the factory block (J32A2). Block is being sent to machine shop sometime this week and so Im using this time to obtain the rotating assembly. I purchased an 05-08 RL forged crankshaft lastnight off an Acura website for $301 shipped. Because (to my knowledge and research) there isnt any aftermarket/performance cranks available for the 3.5 and also because its said "these cranks can pretty much hold whatever is thrown at them" i feel this will the best option here. Now let me say that many people argue the point of the 05-08 RL's having or not having forged internals, the general consensus here is everything BUT the pistons are forged. Ive backed this up by finding a few articles on the web that also reports that indeed the crank and rods are as said: forged. Here's the dilemma. Knowing that rods/pistons will be most vulnerable to my 3.5 build (that ill be throwing anywhere from 100-200 shot of spray) and because high-performance aftermarket pistons/rods are available, i am troubled to believe using the factory forged rods will be enough. Ive read that "the rods are forged for weight, not strength". Im not sure if this is indeed accurate or not and mind you this is the only negative comment ive read about them. Ive also read some people using factory rods up to 650hp "with no breakage and 25k miles so far". So, if my 3.5 will naturally carry say 300hp and i use the said 200hp shot (500hp total), im still safe with the rods?

Lmao, i dunno...just wondering if i shouldnt be contemplating factory rods when they will undoubtably be strong enough. OR, if i should stop gambling my build and invest $800-1200 for some quality rods as opposed to the questionable $420 factory set?

Im not gonna say money is not an object here but if buying aftermarket rods is what i MUST do, then so be it! Mind everyone, this thread is only focusing on the rotating assembly and am doing MUCH MORE to this motor for strengthening then a forged bottom end...ive read the horror stories around here. Any help given would be appreciated and thanks to those who contribute any advice/knowledge in advance.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Do you plan on FI at all? If not i dont see the need for anything other than OEM. Getting the kind of power you want will require tuning or no matter what internals you buy it wont hold up. What do you plan on doing to tune a 200 shot?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:36 PM
J-series addict

Red face

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Do you plan on FI at all? If not i dont see the need for anything other than OEM. Getting the kind of power you want will require tuning or no matter what internals you buy it wont hold up. What do you plan on doing to tune a 200 shot?
No FI in the plans currently nor in the future. Although no FI, you see no need for atleast aftermarket forged rods/pistons using a power adder such as nitrous? Its widely known to be the harshest means of supplemental horsepower on any engine...atleast thats what ive always been told. As for tuning, im running a wet kit and an auxillary fuel supply so really adjusting my timing is hopefully all i should need to do...if im wrong here please advise. Ignition is something im currently trying to figure out in terms of the best, most effective method of doing so. Any standalone's out there that there that can work with 2g/3g A/T?
Old 04-20-2012, 07:49 AM
J-series addict

Also, can anyone confirm that the J32A2 crank, rods and pistons are forged or not? Looking at Acura's part numbers and reading everyone's posts in various forums, it appears that both 2nd gen TL/CL type s have factory forged rotating assemblies...

Also, is one response ALL i get from people here?

Last edited by yungone501; 04-20-2012 at 07:54 AM. Reason: im illiterate...
Old 04-26-2012, 07:44 AM
J-series addict

Bumpin' for sum answers Acurazine!

And also wanted to update this thread with some information. I have a close friend who is a machinist at a CNC shop. Ive been so desperate for an answer on the 2g type s 3.2l having a forged rotating assembly. Both my friend and his boss (whom is a supposed 40 year veteran machinist) said "without a doubt" that the crank, rods, and pistons are all forged components. Even the pistons! Didnt have much time to talk to the veteran but i want to know about this "water droplet test" people talk about in determining if a component is forged or not? Anyone?
Old 04-26-2012, 09:15 AM
Chapter Leader (Southeast Region)

Received 451 Likes on 394 Posts
I can not answer your questions but there are a few guys on the cl side that coul possibly answer your questions. I know there is a few of them have done the conversion