Installing a Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 09:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gcope
No insult taken. And you may be on to something. I have 6 CD's in the indash player. I'm wondering if I empty the player and press CD, will the radio switch to the interface? I will give that a try.

You just said something that tipped me off: the XM5-HON98, according to the product description, to quote, is 'NOT compatible Honda Navigation or Honda 6-disc in-dash CD Changer Radios.' You may need a different aux interface. Describe your TL some more and maybe we can determine if that is really the case and, if so, whether we can help you find an alternative.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by justaparadox
You just said something that tipped me off: the XM5-HON98, according to the product description, to quote, is 'NOT compatible Honda Navigation or Honda 6-disc in-dash CD Changer Radios.' You may need a different aux interface. Describe your TL some more and maybe we can determine if that is really the case and, if so, whether we can help you find an alternative.
I originally ordered a Blitzsafe from Enfig in November 2006. Due to an order backlog, they shipped me the PIE unit instead. Enfig charged me for both interfaces and according to the discountcarstereo.com info, the PIE unit won't work. Hope I don't have to tear the dash apart to replace the PIE interface with one that works...sigh....
Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Gcope
I originally ordered a Blitzsafe from Enfig in November 2006. Due to an order backlog, they shipped me the PIE unit instead. Enfig charged me for both interfaces and according to the discountcarstereo.com info, the PIE unit won't work. Hope I don't have to tear the dash apart to replace the PIE interface with one that works...sigh....
Well, keep us posted. Once it all works, it works GREAT!
Old 06-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mezzerTL-S
the power wires I just tapped into the map lights neg and pos so all the connections are inside the headliner, the antenna wire runs in the headliner down the pillar past the driverside fuse panel, under the driverside front and rear door sills, took out the back set and ran the wire under the seats and mounted the antenna itself in front of the third brake light heres a pic of where it ended up
mezzer, how did you get the satellite antenna in behind the rear deck brake light? Did you put it in there through the trunk? Or lift out the rear deck somehow???

Jeff
Old 06-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
The rear sub/3rd brakelight cover pops off and you can stick it in that way
Old 06-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Racer

ok.....but does the antenna wire run into the trunk? I currently have mine on the trunk:
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeffny61/...untAntenna.JPG

.....trying to figure the easiest way to move it inside - without undoing the current wireing job (ie taking the back seat bottom back out).

I don't mind it on the trunk but worry over time it will cause issues with the paint job.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2007, 12:03 PM
8th Gear

Has anyone here had any luck with the Blitzsafe or PIE adapters in a 99 TL w/Navi? Everything I read keeps saying no no no. Just picked up a heckuva deal on the skifi2, with car kit and boom box ($50, woot.com)

Antenna wire is run, power won't be a problem, would just really really lie to tap this thing directly into the head unit.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Lotsa good tips here. I can't say that I like the VSM method--even though it'd specific to the car, to me it still looks messy. I do like the sunglass holder method though! I also like the antenna inside the brake light, although I've had a bad experience w/ bad reception in another vehicle, where the antenna was mounted on the dash in the center close to the windshield. Moving it outside the car improved reception significantly. Looking back, it might have been because it was located partially near/below the wiper arm on that car, interfering with the signal. BTW, I have a Sirius Starmate ST-4, which I normally interchange between two vehicles. My '03 TL-S (w/ factory 6-disc changer) is a recent purchase, so I haven't gotten around to setting it up for my Starmate. I will say that there are exactly zero options for a clean neat install in this car, without changing out the factory radio!
Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
Intermediate

Follow MezzerTL design with my XM radio. The antenna in the brake light is perfect and clean. I find the radio reciever is out of the way in the sunglass holder. I would go for this install.....
Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^^^
Update, I had my antenna in the rear window. I added another layer of tint so now I have almost no reception. So, I tried everything and no luck. So, I ran the small magnet antenna to the rear right corner of my trunk lid, sanded the top of the antenna and got color matching touch up paint (spray paint style) and painted my antenna WDP! You can paint XM antennas as long as you don't do really heavy coats and the paint is not metallic. But, it blends in perfectly and perfect reception now, no matter what direction I drive. I don't like advertising I have aftermarket XM, but had to do what I had to do. I initially was going to convert my roof OnStar antenna with the new flat box style, but got lazy....
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 PM
Cruisin'

Cool

www.imageevent.com/grofva/xmpix

I installed my XM MyFi with a Pro.fit brand "Vehicle Specific Mount" from Cruchfield. The Pro.fit website says it doesn't work with an '01 TL w/ Navi but the Crutchfield website said it would so I rolled the dice. Looks clean - see the pix at the website above.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Cruisin'

My Sirius Install

I just installed a Sirius Sportster 4 in my 2003 TL-S using a Blitzsafe interface. I used a Kuda mount and put the antenna in the third brake light. My reception is wayyyy better in the brake light versus sitting on the back deck.

I am extremely happy with the sound quality