Headlight/Fog Advice..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Traded in my

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headlight/Fog Advice..?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-8...1345QQtcZphoto

I'm thinkin bout replacing the bulbs in my TL and was wondering if you guys had any comments bout the ones in this link. I'm always apprehensive bout buyin stuff online and I don't wanna get jipped with fakes.

Also, are there pics of 5000k and 6000k TLs anywhere so I can see kinda what I'm gettin into. I like stock color but Im interested in 5000k

And one last thing, my fogs are cracked and really dirty and Im gonna take em out and clean em if they can be cleaned and replace lens with lexan but I was wondering if you guys knew of any good 9006 bulbs that look like HIDs that I can use. I dont really wanna go through the pain of installing an HID kit but I dont really want the "yellow" fogs..
Old 01-27-2009, 06:23 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Here is 6000K in the heads and stock fogs (except yellow rockblocker film). Try a HIR bulb for the fogs - I've never used them but have heard many people that swear by them.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:25 PM
bringin lead

that's a good ebay seller - i've bought several things from him.
Old 01-27-2009, 06:30 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're not gonna get anything close to HID with halogens in the fogs. I would suggest going HID, it's well worth it. Not too mention its looks COOL
Old 01-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Traded in my

Thanks for the pics Fire..your car looks sweet.
One quick ? tho..which do you prefer - stock or the 6000k? Cuz I like the color but I drive at night mostly and want to be able to see well.

Thanks for the advice nayaab..I will prob go HID fogs in the future but don't have the time or the money for it right now. Is there a kit you would recommend..just for reference?
Old 01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Kaixen 5ks on 99tl

Don't really like driving with them in heavy rain or snow but it looks nice when theres no street lamps and its pitch black.

For fog bulbs I heard good reviews about the bimmian xenesis tru-match bulbs but for lik an extra $10-20 you can pick up an apexcone hid kit from http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html
Old 01-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

i have heard that those 85126+ bulbs are really bright and look like 5k.....i got philips 5K heads and 3K HID in the fog lights and im content with them...
Old 01-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i have heard that those 85126+ bulbs are really bright and look like 5k.....i got philips 5K heads and 3K HID in the fog lights and im content with them...
3K HIDs --> I was actually thinking about getting them, do they make a big difference when you have them on? Or does the white light from your headlights overpower them?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up 6k Kaixen bulbs

I recently went with some new 6k Kaixen bulbs from Excelerate Performance, a vender on this site, and I'm really happy with how blue they are. They are more blue than most cars out there...the only ones I've seen come close are some Escalades. Here is a pic half way through the install...the 6k on the left, 5 yr old stock on the right, stock fogs:

Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM
bringin lead

Originally Posted by tri2tun
3K HIDs --> I was actually thinking about getting them, do they make a big difference when you have them on? Or does the white light from your headlights overpower them?
i have 3K hids in the fogs now also. there is a bright yellow output immediately in front of the car until the headlight line starts, then it's all white from there. the side-reach of the hids are amazing - both side walls are lit up on dark interstate stretches.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by FirePR2002
i have 3K hids in the fogs now also. there is a bright yellow output immediately in front of the car until the headlight line starts, then it's all white from there. the side-reach of the hids are amazing - both side walls are lit up on dark interstate stretches.
....its amazing at how wide they spread out rite?....when a car is passing me up i notice that bright ass yellow on their lower part of their car...but they are so nice...
Old 01-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

Originally Posted by '02_TL-S
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-8...1345QQtcZphoto

I'm thinkin bout replacing the bulbs in my TL and was wondering if you guys had any comments bout the ones in this link. I'm always apprehensive bout buyin stuff online and I don't wanna get jipped with fakes.

Also, are there pics of 5000k and 6000k TLs anywhere so I can see kinda what I'm gettin into. I like stock color but Im interested in 5000k

And one last thing, my fogs are cracked and really dirty and Im gonna take em out and clean em if they can be cleaned and replace lens with lexan but I was wondering if you guys knew of any good 9006 bulbs that look like HIDs that I can use. I dont really wanna go through the pain of installing an HID kit but I dont really want the "yellow" fogs..

installing the HID's is a breeze by the way....everything is plug and play...it took me 15 minutes tops to do it...thats about how long it would take u to change the bulbs..u can hide the ballast under the headlight....and ur not goin to get a good effect of HID's with jus bulbs and from what i saw some of those "wannabe" hid bulbs put out too much wattage and cause ur wires to melt....
Old 01-30-2009, 09:56 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Silverstar bulbs are quite white. The ones I tried (replacement H/L bulbs) didn't last very long tho.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by totaledTL
Silverstar bulbs are quite white. The ones I tried (replacement H/L bulbs) didn't last very long tho.

i noticed the same thing with my civic. full HID conversion ftw
Old 01-31-2009, 10:43 AM
Advanced

don't waste your money on HID's for your fogs.... I bought some LED bulbs that replace the stock fog light bulbs and look just as good. They are bright as hell and match the color of the oem headlights perfectly. For $59.99 they are a hell of alot cheaper than putting in a HID system and look just as good in my opinion... Here are mine.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Traded in my

bass - where did u get those LED bulbs cuz thats exactly what I'm lookin for.

Now to get motivated and take the fogs out to clean em..they look like they have no lens..thats how dirty they got cuz of one crack. Hope they clean out well..if not..new fog housings too :-(

Thanks for all the great advice and pics..will get some of my own up as soon as the fogs get fixed..just gotta find the motivation......
Old 01-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry bruh, there ain't no way LED bulbs are nearly as bright and reach out as far and wide as HID fogs..i didn't go for looks, I wanted the extra light to the sides to see deer and crackheads hanging out on the side of the road. HID kits are as cheap as $99 now or less in some cases.

I have to admit, those LEDs you have are pretty bright but I would love to see some more pics. But can you honestly say they are just as bright as my HID fogs below?

Last edited by CJITTY; 01-31-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM
Lamborghini Aventador FTW

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by CJITTY
I have to admit, those LEDs you have are pretty bright but I would love to see some more pics. But can you honestly say they are just as bright as my HID fogs below?

We need a photoshoot of a car with the LED bulbs next to a car with HIDs for a comparison
Old 01-31-2009, 07:13 PM
Traded in my

CJITTY - what headlights u roll with? They look stock but the extra light with the HID fogs makes em hella brighter. That's what I need..I feel like I've lost light output cuz even some Tacomas have brighter lights than my HIDs at times. What kit did u install n where u get it?

Got the motivation to seafoam n take off the fogs n clean em today. Left's reflector has some corrosion but still usable I think..right is fine. Now just gotta get Lexan, cut it n buy the bulbs..or kit if reasonable with bulbs.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:52 AM
Ackniculous One

headlights are stock d2r philips bulbs and my hid fogs are made by techone and I have pigtail wire adapters to let me use rebased to 9006 D2S phillips bulbs. see my diy in the main 2nd gen forum..should be a sticky with all the diys and look for hid fog install. its hard to explain but the pics will help explain my setup.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Low & Slow w/Dubz On My

[QUOTE=CJITTY;10463691]Sorry bruh, there ain't no way LED bulbs are nearly as bright and reach out as far and wide as HID fogs..i didn't go for looks, I wanted the extra light to the sides to see deer and crackheads hanging out on the side of the road. HID kits are as cheap as $99 now or less in some cases.

....HID's for the win!!!.......those thingz are hella brite!!!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
CJITTY- Need to switch H/L OFF for direct comparison.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 AM
Advanced

I will be the first to say that the LED bulbs I have in the fogs are not as bright as a HID system. BUT for someone who is looking to save a lil $ and get as close to HID look as they can then these LED bulbs are for them.

So yes, HID"s will put out more light to help driving at night for sure. These bulbs I got are just a less expensive alternative to hid's.

CJitty... I see you are in the Atlanta area. We should meet up sometime to take a pic of our lights side by side for people to use as a reference. That way they will be able to truly see the difference. And if they wanna go ahead and do the hid's then they can see from the pics that it will be worth it.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
2003 TL-p

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
i have the LED fogs and i love them, there not too bright but the looks are great. iv turned a few heads with them. the LED's look just like 6000k hids. next for me is to get 6000k for my low beams and replace the oem hid bulbs.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:37 AM
Instructor

my boy got a cls and i got a tls, I got HID in headlight (obviously) and fogs 8K all. and some halos. my boy got 8k headlights HID, and he got some led's in the fogs. its way better then the stock fogs, but not as bright as my shit. but then putting hid in the fogs ofr the cl is a botch i say go with leds just get really bright headlight something like 5-6 k is u r best bet.
good luck
Old 02-06-2009, 04:03 AM
Advanced

where did u guys buy the LED bulbs for the fog lights..its exactly what I am looking for.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM
still a Masshole

Originally Posted by mhallon24
where did u guys buy the LED bulbs for the fog lights..its exactly what I am looking for.
x2. Bass, what type LEDs do you sport and where did you get them?

As for the Apexcone HID conversion, what bulb type does it need to be and what bulb color best matches the Stock H/L HIDs (I thought our stock HIDs were 4800K)? Also, are these plug n' play? I am in the same boat as the originator of this post in that I need new fog bulbs and would like something that matches the stock HIDs. I also do not want to pay out the butt for a HID conversion but am willing to pony up a little more if I can find the right kit. I am also looking to change the lenses so might as well do a conversion while I am down there anyway.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by totaledTL
CJITTY- Need to switch H/L OFF for direct comparison.
When I do my fog light mod again, I will be able to do that, but that intense light between my bumpter and where the headlight beams begin, is the HID fog light, there is a clear difference on where the fog light beam pattern is vs my headlights

The brighter patch of light in this pic is all HID FOG

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-08-2009 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:15 PM
Ackniculous One

You got PM, need to announce yourself on our ATL social group here on Azine...https://acurazine.com/forums/groups/atl-17/

Originally Posted by bass222000
I will be the first to say that the LED bulbs I have in the fogs are not as bright as a HID system. BUT for someone who is looking to save a lil $ and get as close to HID look as they can then these LED bulbs are for them.

So yes, HID"s will put out more light to help driving at night for sure. These bulbs I got are just a less expensive alternative to hid's.

CJitty... I see you are in the Atlanta area. We should meet up sometime to take a pic of our lights side by side for people to use as a reference. That way they will be able to truly see the difference. And if they wanna go ahead and do the hid's then they can see from the pics that it will be worth it.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Traded in my

Haha..I'll ask again. WHERE CAN I FIND LED BULBS?? bass or gold?? Anyone?

Ferizzo - I replaced the lenses this weekend and it's a lot easier than having to take off the bumper to install a kit. I just went to Home Depot, bought an 18 x 24 sheet of Lexan and cut em out. Cutting was the hardest part but a power sander to get it to the right size will really help..just a tip. Also, be careful when resealing. Let the silicone dry a little before putting the lens on or it will go where you don't want it to. When u do replace them, you'll be very happy. Lexan is crystal clear.

For the future..will buy new headlights and fog housings cuz headlights are not clear and fogs have some water damage from waiting so long (so don't wait to replace the lenses!!) and will install HID kit cuz I'll have the bumper off anyways.

Does anyone know where I can get either cheap?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
5000k FX35 pros and 6000k blackout fogs:

Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Ackniculous One

fawkin showoff Volly..lol, end of discussion...hahahaha..
Old 02-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Meridian

hehe, ill take it as a compliment.

btw, nice avatar pic CJITTY
Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Traded in my

volly - damn bro..this is for us broke guys who just want something a lil better than stock fogs. U must make bank somewhere to hook ur ride up like that.

How did u do the retrofit with the pros?

Future DIY..? If not there already. Havent looked..LOL
Old 02-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Meridian

volly - damn bro..this is for us broke guys who just want something a lil better than stock fogs. U must make bank somewhere to hook ur ride up like that.

How did u do the retrofit with the pros?

Future DIY..? If not there already. Havent looked..LOL
I was thinkin exactly like you were, I didnt want anything fancy, but then I saw my retrofitter's work on some other cars and damn did it look amazing, i knew i had to get some made for my car, cuz i have never seen any pros on our 2g tls b4.

Since i got them made, I have no idea how to make them.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
still a Masshole

Haha..I'll ask again. WHERE CAN I FIND LED BULBS?? bass or gold?? Anyone?

Ferizzo - I replaced the lenses this weekend and it's a lot easier than having to take off the bumper to install a kit. I just went to Home Depot, bought an 18 x 24 sheet of Lexan and cut em out. Cutting was the hardest part but a power sander to get it to the right size will really help..just a tip. Also, be careful when resealing. Let the silicone dry a little before putting the lens on or it will go where you don't want it to. When u do replace them, you'll be very happy. Lexan is crystal clear.

For the future..will buy new headlights and fog housings cuz headlights are not clear and fogs have some water damage from waiting so long (so don't wait to replace the lenses!!) and will install HID kit cuz I'll have the bumper off anyways.

Does anyone know where I can get either cheap?
The Apexcone HIDs recommended by Gemini seem like a good, inexpensive option.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Traded in my

Originally Posted by VoLLy
I was thinkin exactly like you were, I didnt want anything fancy, but then I saw my retrofitter's work on some other cars and damn did it look amazing, i knew i had to get some made for my car, cuz i have never seen any pros on our 2g tls b4.

Since i got them made, I have no idea how to make them.
Where did you get em made..cuz Ill def have to get some after seein your car..maybe when Im no longer a broke college kid..
Old 02-10-2009, 03:11 PM
(ಠДಠ)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
HID > LED... the LS600hL uses LED lowbeams but that's the 09 model... I'm sure they're a lot stronger than the LED's in those fogs... and you can get cheap hid kits for about 70$ at ddmtuning.com
Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM
Meridian

Where did you get em made..cuz Ill def have to get some after seein your car..maybe when Im no longer a broke college kid..
My friend made them for me. I think he stopped making them in pursuit of school.