AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL Performance Parts & Modifications (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-116/)
-   -   Exhaust (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-performance-parts-modifications-116/exhaust-977881/)

Flan 03-12-2019 12:52 AM

Exhaust

Hello AZine, i am new around here and have been all over this forum for the past month or so researching all that i can for my 2g tl type s. This is my second car and i am in love with it so far, i got it at the beginning of the summer last year and she has been nothing but nice to me. I have been thinking about doing some exhaust work to get a more aggressive sound. I am new to all of this so and i am absorbing so much new information everyday so this is all still a learning process for me. One of my buddies suggested a resonator and muffler delete, while another friend said that was ricey and suggested just a muffler delete. Im leaning more towards a muffler delete for starters and see where it goes from there but i recently saw a video of someone with the ATLP exhaust system and it sounded amazing. Im just looking for any insight on anything really, i am just trying to get as much information and as many opinions as i can to compare and ultimately make a decision. Ive thought about purchasing just a muffler and getting that welded on but then the question of which one is going to give me the sound i want stands. I am also not trying to spend ~$900-$1000 on a whole system. So yeah, any custom set ups, any "ghetto" set ups, anything is appreciated.

My car is all stock besides the delightful finding of DC Sports headers and a few cosmetic mods, overall very clean.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...55d98dc52c.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...29226513a4.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...e41e5258a8.jpg

justnspace 03-12-2019 08:42 AM

you're on the right track.
start with the removal of the resonator first. then if you want more sound, hack up the rest of the exhaust.

when experimenting with exhaust, you're doing just that.... EXPERIMENTING. no one will know what it sounds like until you cut that shit off.(or an exhaust shop cuts it off)

or you can bypass this and just go directly for the ATLP setup, however, if you aint got the fetti to spend.... your only option is to play with cutting out the resonator, then go from there

Flan 03-12-2019 09:26 AM

You would suggest to start with the resonator? One of my buddies as saying that most of the sound is getting lost in the muffler, not the resonator. If you have experimented yourself, im sure you know what you are talking about. Main goal is to avoid any bit of rice. I think my car is very clean and sleek and i want to keep that feel across all bases.

justnspace 03-12-2019 09:44 AM

always always start with the LEAST aggressive treatment, in ANYTHING you do.

You can Always ADD more Salt, but you cannot take out salt if your food is too salty.
You can always add more bleach, but cannot take out bleach if you accidentally pour too much.
you can always step up to a more aggressive sand paper, but you cannot go backwards if you accidentally use a grittier sandpaper

if that's what you want to do; remove mufflers, then by all means, be my guest.

Flan 03-12-2019 09:48 AM

I understand what you are saying. Thanks for the input i will definitely factor what you said in to my final decision.

justnspace 03-12-2019 09:51 AM

Very clean and beautiful car by the way!!!!!!
although the blackout tails kinda detract from the cleanliness.

Flan 03-12-2019 09:54 AM

Appreciate the input but i am going to have to respectfully disagree, it looks pretty decent in real life, also matches the black housing for the headlights and window tint.
Thank you though!!!!!

justnspace 03-12-2019 10:01 AM

hear me out;

the trend went like this...

Altezza tails.
Blackout tails.
Shaded tails.
and we're now in a period where the red has come back!
a deep red is more aggressive looking than shaded tails.

just looks like your car is stuck in the 2008-2012 period where everyone was doing the shaded tails.

Flan 03-12-2019 10:07 AM

Me-20 years old, probably to young and uninformed on the trends. To be honest with you i couldn't find a pair of tails that were in a black housing like the heads to i went for what i thought would be second best, ya feel?

justnspace 03-12-2019 10:11 AM

you can do whatever you want!

i'm merely expressing opinions and suggestions. I just like talking shop.
and I like how you mentioned earlier that you would hear me out and factor what I said into your final decisions, which is how one SHOULD take advice. listen to multiple points of views that shape your final decisions, good job young man!

justnspace 03-12-2019 10:14 AM

we should bring back altezza tails!!
Just googled...uhh maybe not. lol

Flan 03-12-2019 10:18 AM

I agree, i hadn't heard of them before just now, but after doing some quick searches i like how they look. I really like the retro feel of them!

justnspace 03-12-2019 10:20 AM

they are cool on certain cars! you're right, very old school-looking!

Flan 03-12-2019 10:24 AM

Key term highlight "on some cars" lol

justnspace 03-12-2019 10:25 AM

LOL, you can see how that trend faded, quickly.

Flan 03-12-2019 10:28 AM

yeah, lol

Silencer_ 03-31-2019 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Flan (Post 16396647)
Main goal is to avoid any bit of rice. I think my car is very clean and sleek and i want to keep that feel across all bases.

Then save up a little more and spend the extra money on a legit exhaust system lol. Trust me, OP. Always do it right the first time.

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16396670)
Very clean and beautiful car by the way!!!!!!
although the blackout tails kinda detract from the cleanliness.

Agreed. OP, if you want to go for the clean and sleek route, the 02-03 tails are the way to go. The minimalist/OEM+ look is the "in" thing now.

Originally Posted by justnspace (Post 16396681)
hear me out;

the trend went like this...

Altezza tails.
Blackout tails.
Shaded tails.
and we're now in a period where the red has come back!
a deep red is more aggressive looking than shaded tails.

just looks like your car is stuck in the 2008-2012 period where everyone was doing the shaded tails.

Yes! Clean and simple goes a LONG way! The clear and red tail lights on the 02-03, along with a debadge, absolutely cleans up the rear of our cars.

Flan 03-31-2019 02:44 PM

I appreciate the input on the exhaust and tail lights although i have gotten a few compliments on the smoked tails, i like the way they look and also plan on debadging soon

Silencer_ 03-31-2019 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Flan (Post 16405520)
I appreciate the input on the exhaust and tail lights although i have gotten a few compliments on the smoked tails, i like the way they look and also plan on debadging soon

For sure! Beautiful car, by the way. Loving the Aspec lip kit! Always been a fan of the styling of the 02-03 front lip. Keep us posted on the progress man! :thumbsup: