Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
At 10k post -- You get a trophy that says
I Have No Life
Old 02-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
I was not able to get the rubber hose off the plastic hard-line, so I took off the intake and sprayed the Seafoam in there. Smoke came out, s I guess it worked!
Old 02-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

I poured it down the small intake tube hole ( I used a funnel connected to a different hose) with a friend keeping the car running... he let it die once... then kept revving it up and he said smoke was coming out, but I never saw it lol....

Then I let it sit for exactly 15 min with the engine off....

I turned the key and it started right up with no problems and ran normal... there was no smoke coming out.... Then I got on the highway at about 4k rpm - 4.5k rpms for about 15 min...

Then did the 15-60 mph wide open throttle runs... no smoke... no engine lights ever came on... then I drove another 15 min and sat down to write this lol

I hope I did it right... I got about 90% of the can in there... I spilled a little : (
Old 02-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Littlest Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had similar results. we seaformed the '02 and only saw a bit of smoke when i was dumping it into the vac line. let it sit for 15 minutes then started it up and barely any came out. a full can was used (16oz) and we kept the car at 3000 rpm'd while pouring it into the vac line.

little trick for you guys who put the stuff into the vac line on the intake tube. we used a radio control car nitro fuel bottle for it. holds about 30oz of nitro fuel and has a metal tube that fits perfectly in the vac line. runs about $4 at any hobby shop. we aslo used it to get the seafoam into the gas tank with great success. much cleaner then a funnel, as u just have to dip the metal tube into the seafoam can, squeeze the air out of the fuel bottle, then it sucks seafoam into the bottle of the fuel bottle. very easy

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD531&P=7
Old 02-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Team Owner

HI revs is not required for seafoam install- all you want to do is keep the engine running so the seafoam has a chance to work on the crud builup- rather than being blasted right through.
Make sure to begin with a 15 minute cruise on the freeway to warm the engine fully- then seafoam!
The after seafoam drive is where the action takes place. Some of the smoke is the seafoam oils burning off- some is crud- which you DO want to hi rev... blow it out the exhaust pipes
Old 02-23-2008, 04:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
At 10k post -- You get a trophy that says
I Have No Life
:gheylaugh:
Old 02-26-2008, 02:45 PM
HELP!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok i just did seafoam through the vac line that Doc Holiday posted. However, a lot of the seafoam simply dripped down the intake tube and out of the filter, causing a mess on my floor. I know some seafoam got sucked in because the engine struggled and when I did the high rev drive afterwards, I saw one small cloud of white smoke in my rear view mirror. What's up with the seafoam not being sucked in? it's like the vacuum isn't strong enough or something.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by oVerBoost
ok i just did seafoam through the vac line that Doc Holiday posted. However, a lot of the seafoam simply dripped down the intake tube and out of the filter, causing a mess on my floor. I know some seafoam got sucked in because the engine struggled and when I did the high rev drive afterwards, I saw one small cloud of white smoke in my rear view mirror. What's up with the seafoam not being sucked in? it's like the vacuum isn't strong enough or something.

I used a funnel and poured it in... I would get that bottle thing the other guy used... that looks like a clean way of doing things

the idle suction wasn't that strong for me either... unless the engine was revved : )
Old 02-26-2008, 04:01 PM
HELP!

yea, i also used a funnel and tube to pour the seafoam in. I kept revving the engine while i poured the solution, but a LOT of it just dripped out of the filter of my CAI. weird..
Old 02-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Littlest Pirate

i noticed swirls in the puddles of water on the ground too, so im thinkin we lost a bit out the filter.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put this in my gas tank, noticed no improvement. I think this is all over rated. I get 30mpg on the highway, 22 city and I don't burn a drop of oil.

I can ONLY loose by purchasing more of this stuff which is expensive, even if gas is $3/gal.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM
'03 TL-S NaV SSM

That's a bold generalized statement... seeing as how our cars at factory optimum only get 29mph highway. Yours must be better than new! In that case, why'd you bother?

And you're wrong, you can "loose" much more than $5 by not knowing how to spell correctly.

-Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rob-2
I put this in my gas tank, noticed no improvement. I think this is all over rated. I get 30mpg on the highway, 22 city and I don't burn a drop of oil.

I can ONLY loose by purchasing more of this stuff which is expensive, even if gas is $3/gal.
Sea Foam is a cleaner, not a magical silver bullet.

The best it can do is to restore the engine back to the factory new condition.

If your engine is already THAT clean, there's nothing to be gained by using Sea Foam.

So stay away from the stuff.

Others, including myself, who are less fortunate have found Sea Foam helping their engine a good deal.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Blaze.45
That's a bold generalized statement... seeing as how our cars at factory optimum only get 29mph highway. Yours must be better than new! In that case, why'd you bother?

And you're wrong, you can "loose" much more than $5 by not knowing how to spell correctly.

-Chris
Chris,

Aren't you a joy to communicate with. First thing you do is take a personal attack at my knowledge. Giving me no room for error, assuming you know better. I think if you come here to pick on people you need to get a life.

For the last 35,000 miles that I've been tracking my gas it's worked out to be this. Mixed driving it's 24-27mpg. Depending which is more, highway or city of that mix.

I bothered because I thought I might get better mpg. On a trip to Arizona and back, I averaged 33mpg. Without a word of a lie. I had three friends with me and we did 2000 miles in 3 days.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Rob
Old 02-27-2008, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

reading the fine print on the seafoam can, really helps it work better.
For use in fuel tank, 2 ounces product to 1 gallon of gas is the cleaning doseage- or 1 can to 1/4 tank
Since most of us dont run the gas down to empty- even thats not perfect- but it sure works good to clean the combustion byproduct buildup on the valves and pistons, and makes the injectors spray a nice mist again!
Old 02-27-2008, 04:55 PM
'03 TL-S NaV SSM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Giving me no room for error, assuming you know better. I think if you come here to pick on people you need to get a life.

For the last 35,000 miles that I've been tracking my gas it's worked out to be this. Mixed driving it's 24-27mpg. Depending which is more, highway or city of that mix.

I bothered because I thought I might get better mpg. On a trip to Arizona and back, I averaged 33mpg. Without a word of a lie. I had three friends with me and we did 2000 miles in 3 days.
Why do you bother when your first post in this thread is telling us how perfect your car already was before Seafoam?

Ksuchdeve cared enough to write up this Seafoam tutorial for everyone here at AZ... in which I appreciated all 6-pages of questions and info. I'll be damned if I let you call it "overrated".

If your car already achieved marks OVER the factory optimum, what the hell did you expect Seafoam to do? Make it fly?.. Do you want them to add a disclaimer on the can?! This product will not make your car fly.

In my experience, it actually made a measurable difference... My lady's '93 Accord idled much smoother and the starting hesitation subsided. In my TL-S, the acceleration is a bit smoother... it doesn't make my car FLY, but it's an improvement that can be felt in more places than just one's imagination.

Hope you get complete satisfaction someday... but it won't be with a $5 can of off the shelf product.

-Chris
Old 02-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Advanced

So to make sure I have this right, you unscrew the end w/ the blue arrow and take that vertical (after the car is warmed up), then carefully pour in as much seafoam as you want while buddy no 1 keeps the revs going if the car starts to stall?

Then go out and drive it like you stole it?

That looks like the 3.2 engine, which is what I have as well, so did I do a good job summarizing?

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
I'm lazy and didn't want to mess with the plastic engine cover... so I saw two soft rubber hoses coming off from the air filter compartment part that goes into the engine.... I stopped there and asked fsttyms1 to make sure...

He directed me to this metal line

He said to use this line indicated by the blue arrow.... He said to disconnect at the red pointer and tilt the line upward to pour the seafoam in slowly.... while someone is giving her a little gas to keep her running.... then once all the seafoam is in... shut off for no more than 15min and continue with DIY procedure : )

Hope this helps someone like me
Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

If you remove the plastic engine cover and look for a flex black rubber tube about the size of your liitle finger- that plugs into the upper left/front side of the Throttle body assembly near the bolt for the TB, just to the left of what is indicated in the pic.
I just checked with a gauge and it pulls 20 inches vac at idle- thats perfect for the job
Off to buy seafoam and try the new input place
Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
HELP!

could you take pics of the location when you do it? the line i used didn't have enough vac power.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by matt21484
So to make sure I have this right, you unscrew the end w/ the blue arrow and take that vertical (after the car is warmed up), then carefully pour in as much seafoam as you want while buddy no 1 keeps the revs going if the car starts to stall?

Then go out and drive it like you stole it?

That looks like the 3.2 engine, which is what I have as well, so did I do a good job summarizing?

No, you need to disconnect at the red arrow and pour it in... towards the big tube that carries the air into your engine... from the air filter box going towards the engine
Old 02-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday
No, you need to disconnect at the red arrow and pour it in... towards the big tube that carries the air into your engine... from the air filter box going towards the engine

Thank you, I will be giving this a shot this weekend, I'll try to post results/pics
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Team Owner

I tested the real vac port at the TB assembly- the black rubber hose by the left upper nut that holds the throttle to manifold assembly together.
On stock intakes- you will see a rubber line goes across the rubber snout from the air filter to the intake. That hose ends at a vac port- tested at 20 inches vac on my car today at idle and sucks a finger tight to it.
Just got back with seafoam- have spare piece of hose that fit the inlet nipple of that vac line so I can do the normal dip and repeat method into solid vac- which IMO will atomize and mix better with the incoming fuel/air mixture.
The fine print on the can says to spray thru the TB or use a vac line that feeds ALL the cylinders. Says nothing about pouring....
Pics and report tomorrow
Old 02-28-2008, 12:39 AM
OMGWTFVTEC

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blaze.45

-Chris
i think you meant 29mpg
Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 AM
'03 TL-S NaV SSM

Hah you are right, good catch.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

I tested the real vac port at the TB assembly- the black rubber hose by the left upper nut that holds the throttle to manifold assembly together.
On stock intakes- you will see a rubber line goes across the rubber snout from the air filter to the intake. That hose ends at a vac port- tested at 20 inches vac on my car today at idle and sucks a finger tight to it.
Just got back with seafoam- have spare piece of hose that fit the inlet nipple of that vac line so I can do the normal dip and repeat method into solid vac- which IMO will atomize and mix better with the incoming fuel/air mixture.
The fine print on the can says to spray thru the TB or use a vac line that feeds ALL the cylinders. Says nothing about pouring....
Pics and report tomorrow

were you able to do it and take pics yet?
Old 02-29-2008, 10:59 PM
Team Owner

DIY seafoam The Real Way:
Remove plastic engine cover for ease of access- 4 10mm bolts (iirc) and the cover is off. My cover stayed off months ago for improved engine cooling-

at the throttle body to intake manifold connection, by the left upper/front bolt of the TB to manifold- you see a black rubber hose with a squeeze clamp on it-bigger than normal vac hose- plugs into the front of the TB area
If you follow the rubber line that crosses the stock intake rubber snout from the air filter to TB--thats the hose you are looking for.
You need a piece of spare hose that size
Now follow the dip and repeat method of DIY seafoam from this point.

That vac port pulls over 20 inches vac at idle and 25 with a little rev.
I tested this last night and got tailpipe smoke at 1/3 can and at 1/2 it was smoking the parking lot and engine died had twice even with use of thumb on throttle.
It was getting to all the cylinders right away without a doubt.
Caution on your fingers creating a seal on the can top.

Poured the rest in the tank with the fuel light on- went for a thrill run with sustained 5200 rpm in vtec and lots of low rpm to WOT into vtec. Pushing gas thru it and get the injectors spraying properly again---- finally~~

Will retest vac reading in a few days- let the seafoam do its thing the test readings after.
Pics tomorrow.... but this one is too obvious once engine cover removed
Old 03-01-2008, 02:17 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
pics
Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Team Owner

Here you go- for those unable to remove the engine cover and see for themself
Old 03-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Team Owner

Here you go- remove the engine cover and see for themself

Note: You MUST use a seperate piece of vac tubing- not anything on the car- to get the seafoam in- see the pics
The nipple is the direct manifold VAC port- not the hose attached to it
Old 03-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Doh!- there were 2 other pics supposed to be there-
but remove that hose and put a spare piece of hose from the garage-
push it on the vac nipple.
Other end goes in the seafoam can. See the throttle on the opposite side of the TB assembly?
Check the geb2 thread- Worth having the dealer clean injectors?
The pics all posted there ok
Old 03-04-2008, 06:11 PM
10th Gear

01tl4tl,

Awesome pics, thanks a lot. In your first pic, where is the throttle line that you need to pull to keep the engine from stalling while sucking in the Seafoam? Is it one of those two lines at the top? This will probably be a one-man project for me. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM
HELP!

the throttle cables are the gold pieces in the first pic. They're located towards the rear of the throttle body. just use one hand to move the can of seafoam in and out of the hose and the other hand to blip the throttle when you hear the car start to stall.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:03 PM
UB6IB9

I'm gonna use 1/2 can in the tank and 1/2 can in the crank case. My question is,how much driving should I do before I change the oil?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
OMGWTFVTEC

I did a full can in the new line that 01tl4tl shows, and my car stalled out 3 times! Even with feathering of the throttle so it wouldnt die, it did... I think I sucked up too much at once. Either way, it was smoking about halfway through, and then after shutting it off and letting it soak for about 20 min... I took it on a nice little drive through town (I live about 5-10 min from the fwy) and I blanketed it in smoke. My CEL was intermittently flashing but no biggie, it usually does that during the seafoam process. Although I did notice my headers leak.. I'm not sure if it was where they attach to the block, or down where they connect at the b-pipe (I think thats what its called). I started to notice it towards the end of the can, so I couldnt really pinpoint it. Either way, it calls for re tightening of the headers/cat/exhaust.

01tl4tl is right, that line sucks so much harder than the previous line I would use. I barely dipped it into the can and it was slurping it. Haha... I know that probably sounded dirty to some of you, but there was no other way I could really describe it.

for 01tl4tl for finding this new line
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

a casual cruise thru town is not the procedure-
hot run at 4000 rpm 3rd gear for 10-15 minutes then a bunch of 10mph to 60 mph full throttle runs
I cruise in and out of vtec making it get lots of fuel and cleaner thru everything.

1st timer: most of us idle the engine 5 minutes then change the oil.
Some have done 15-30 minute GENTLE drive to the oil change place, seafoam website says that is fine.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

seafoam as an exhaust leak finder- great idea!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 PM
OMGWTFVTEC

hot run at 4000 rpm 3rd gear for 10-15 minutes then a bunch of 10mph to 60 mph full throttle runs
I cruise in and out of vtec making it get lots of fuel and cleaner thru everything.

Some have done 15-30 minute GENTLE drive to the oil change place, seafoam website says that is fine.

I forgot to mention that I had to drive it through town to get to the freeway, which then I commenced my 'spirited driving' for about 20 min or so.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:59 PM
OMGWTFVTEC

seafoam as an exhaust leak finder- great idea!
It really works!

If you do have a leak, as long as you can see smoke coming out of your tailpipe, you should be able to locate it... or it will make itself known to you... either way works
Old 03-04-2008, 09:19 PM
UB6IB9

So driving around for about 10 mins(3000-4000 rpm)should do the trick.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Just seafoamed my dads caddy, Man did that thing smoke.................... It was humorous. He was like WTF........... Im like yup, now its time to take it out and burn it out . In the end he laughed and his car runs much much smoother.

Quick Reply: DIY: Seafoam 2nd GEN TL (sorta) work in progress