DIY: Seafoam 2nd GEN TL (sorta) work in progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:04 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pull your upper intake manifold off and remove the front and rear Intake manifold chambers and you will immediately understand. the Intake manifold chamber covers are also referred to as the Plenum covers. They are the parts that are each held on by 8 hex screws
Old 02-11-2008, 12:10 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
kush- the intake maifold has valves that open to each cylinder and suck the seafoam past the valve-cleaning it and into the piston area- and clean it.
The carberator sits on the middle of my V8 chevy, but fuel amazingly goes to the correct place at the correct time.
Its magic~
There is no magic involved with this intake manifold
Old 02-11-2008, 12:25 PM
MP90 uninstalled

If you guys are running a whole bottle through the tank when you are almost out of gas, you are probably running plenty through there to get the job done. There shouldn’t be much buildup in the intake plenums, which is the purpose of spraying it into the intake as well as to get enough in there for it to soak on the valves and combustion chamber for 10 minutes or so. When I have seen build up from the EGR under the upper cover of the upper intake manifold from the EGR valve and on the plenums, it usually takes more than seafoam to remove it. It takes full disassembly of the upper intake manifold and elbow grease. Every manufacturer’s manifolds are different and on some cars you can use one of the vac lines but not on the J series Honda/Acura V6 intakes if you want even distribution of seafoam between the two cylinder banks.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Also someone mentinoed in this thread that you needed to keep the IACV dry and not to get any seafoam on it. That is not true either. I soaked mine in Seafoam and then brushed it and then soaked it again and 25000 miles later it is still working and I am at 99000 on my supercharged CLS6mt. Runsl like a top. If anythingk I would only be concerned with not getting crap alll over the female plug on the IACV. I flipped mine on its back and filled IACV with seafoam and let it soak for about 15 minutes between scrubbing with a nylon, not metal, toothbrush. I am about to tear everything back down for major servicing. timing belt, water pump, engine mounts, seals, etc..
Old 02-11-2008, 12:40 PM
MP90 uninstalled

The mods should take note of this thread as there is a lot of misinformation about properly seafoaming the J-series Acura/Honda engine on the boards that should be deleted.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Ive said this before, so i guess ill say it again. Take off one of the vac lines that hooks to the intake itself. The ones that connect just before the TB. Pour in that or let the motor suck it thru. It will clean the TB and get to all cyls. That is how i do it
Old 02-11-2008, 01:28 PM
MP90 uninstalled

That is also right, but this thread is about these guys using the upper intake manifold vac lines and there are so many treads that say to do the same and they are wrong. fsttyms1 is saying to remove the Intake Air Bypass control valve (IABCV) line to the intake where it connects just before the throttle or the cylinder head breather hose which also connects to the intake just before the throttle. The IABCV does not always have a vacuum on it and the cylinder head breather hose never does but it doesnt matter because you are not sucking the Seafoam into these parts from their respective hoses at the intake, you are only sucking fluid into the intake from one of these hoses just so we are clear. Either of these will work in addition to the way I said to do it just make sure the Seafoam is going into the intake tube and then to the throttle and so forth. For the record fsttyms1’s method is probably the easiest using the hose from the IABCV, I just like using my spray bottle to mist the Seafoam into the Intake manifold.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"fsttyms1 is saying to remove the Intake Air Bypass control valve (IABCV) line to the intake where it connects just before the throttle or the cylinder head breather hose which also connects to the intake just before the throttle."

Would anyone be willing to post a pic of this. I was all set to try sea-foaming this weekend (using the previous method). Now I'm confused.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:05 PM
TL-S driver

Originally Posted by w1480
"fsttyms1 is saying to remove the Intake Air Bypass control valve (IABCV) line to the intake where it connects just before the throttle or the cylinder head breather hose which also connects to the intake just before the throttle."

Would anyone be willing to post a pic of this. I was all set to try sea-foaming this weekend (using the previous method). Now I'm confused.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I was planning on doing it to my car too but now I'm confused. Can someone post the correct line to suck the seafoam through? Thanks!
Old 02-11-2008, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Well this means a trip to the store for some more seafoam.
Access to the throttle body would be difficult with the airbox is in place
Did you just spray thru the hole inside the airbox and it went in fine to the engine?

When my intake manifold is off for some work soon - I will do a pressure airflow test and settle the question once and for all.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:57 PM
Team Owner

On Gas tank use:
Seafoam says on the can, 1 oz seafoam per 1 gal gas as maitenance use- for ongoing regular cleaning.
2 0z seafoam per gal of gas for super scrubbing of injectors, valves and piston tops.
That works out to about 1 pint/8 ounces to 1/4 tank of gas.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Well this means a trip to the store for some more seafoam.
Access to the throttle body would be difficult with the airbox is in place
Did you just spray thru the hole inside the airbox and it went in fine to the engine?

When my intake manifold is off for some work soon - I will do a pressure airflow test and settle the question once and for all.
This is what i would do (which i mentioned above) take the hose off the front or rear valve cover and insert it into the can, and idle up the motor to suck it out. (works for me) OR i have a small funnel and i stick it into the hose and with something or someone on the gas pedal idle it up to a few k and slowly start pouring it in. the motor will suck it up, it will clean the tb and intake passages and get its way to the valves
Old 02-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

On Gas tank use:
Seafoam says on the can, 1 oz seafoam per 1 gal gas as maitenance use- for ongoing regular cleaning.
2 0z seafoam per gal of gas for super scrubbing of injectors, valves and piston tops.
That works out to about 1 pint/8 ounces to 1/4 tank of gas.
just buy it by the gallon and add it to a near full tank for super duper pooper scooper scrubbing
Old 02-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK - not to beat a dead horse, but for those of us who have no idea which hose is which, and don't want to risk sucking the stuff up the wrong hose only to have Seafoam and white smoke fill the cabin of our car while driving down the freeway in 3rd gear:
Is it sufficient just to dump the stuff in the gas tank as described (I know where the gas tank is) and leave it at that; or is there really a huge benefit of also trying to track down the hose off the rear or front valve cover (or whatever hose is agreed upon to be used) to apply it there also? If so, a picture with an arrow that says "suck the stuff up in this one, dude" would be really helpful.

I've got 86K miles, not really having much idle problems, so I'm looking at this as a risk/benefit situation. Not to hijack this post, but I lose about a qt of oil / 5K and someone had suggested this stuff would help the seals work better (assuming that is where I'm losing the oil). Anyway, thanks.
The following users liked this post:
BuffaloGreek (07-10-2012)
Old 02-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Team Owner

the gas tank method cleans part of the system over a period of time
The vac method- however we figure out to do it now- will super blast clean the valves and piston tops.
For oil problems- add it to the oil right before the next change. That will clean the oil control rings.

I WISH they sold it in gallons out here!
Run it in the boat, camper and generator, pour it down the carb of the old V-8 before towing anything, the lawn mower...I am a seafoamin feeeeeeeeind
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by mklaudt
OK - not to beat a dead horse, but for those of us who have no idea which hose is which, and don't want to risk sucking the stuff up the wrong hose only to have Seafoam and white smoke fill the cabin of our car while driving down the freeway in 3rd gear:
Is it sufficient just to dump the stuff in the gas tank as described (I know where the gas tank is) and leave it at that; or is there really a huge benefit of also trying to track down the hose off the rear or front valve cover (or whatever hose is agreed upon to be used) to apply it there also? If so, a picture with an arrow that says "suck the stuff up in this one, dude" would be really helpful.

I've got 86K miles, not really having much idle problems, so I'm looking at this as a risk/benefit situation. Not to hijack this post, but I lose about a qt of oil / 5K and someone had suggested this stuff would help the seals work better (assuming that is where I'm losing the oil). Anyway, thanks.
Follow the tube from the air box (where the filter is) to th TB (throttle body) Close to the TB you will see 1/2" dia hose on each side that go to the valve covers. Use one of those.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 PM
Senior Moderator

I WISH they sold it in gallons out here!
Run it in the boat, camper and generator, pour it down the carb of the old V-8 before towing anything, the lawn mower...I am a seafoamin feeeeeeeeind
The do here.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Follow the tube from the air box (where the filter is) to th TB (throttle body) Close to the TB you will see 1/2" dia hose on each side that go to the valve covers. Use one of those.
I’m sorry for the confusion. I got a little carried away technically. To elaborate a little more on what fsttyms1 is saying, there are only two 1/2" black hoses that are connected to the black intake tube between the air filter and the Throttle body. Just pull one of them off and pour or spray the stuff into the intake tube at either hose connection point on the intake tube or attach a hose to one of those fittings and suck it in the same place from the Seafoam bottle. I would take a pic of mine for you but I don’t think it would be relative to yours because of all the modifications to my motor like the Comptech supercharger and I am a 6speed manual. Many things have been rerouted also.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

I'm lazy and didn't want to mess with the plastic engine cover... so I saw two soft rubber hoses coming off from the air filter compartment part that goes into the engine.... I stopped there and asked fsttyms1 to make sure...

He directed me to this metal line

He said to use this line indicated by the blue arrow.... He said to disconnect at the red pointer and tilt the line upward to pour the seafoam in slowly.... while someone is giving her a little gas to keep her running.... then once all the seafoam is in... shut off for no more than 15min and continue with DIY procedure : )

Hope this helps someone like me
Old 02-13-2008, 08:21 PM
Team Owner

doc- did it work that way? and hey! clear some inbox room before PMing me for help!
I run without the engine cover anyway- better cooling and polished intake manifold so access to all the lines is right there.

My concern with using the big tube is that seafoam is high detergent OILS according to the maker-
IMO---that MAY leave a residue on the edges of the Throttle Plate and other parts that is not desireable. I would follow it up with a carb spray/TB cleaner spray shot thru afterwards, to rid any oily leftovers.
But thats just my opinion- have not tried the new methods yet
Old 02-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Pro

Question

here's my engine... dusty yeah yeah... I know...

ok Can I use a different hose (to pour in the Seafoam) without taking off the plastic? like the ones marked in blue on the first pic... they look easy to just pinch off and replace if possible to use...

here's the one he said to use on my car... but I didn't notice it was connected to another metal tube... so when I turn it ... I wonder if it will disconnect the other or yeah I don't like messing with things I'm unsure of... like my engine lol
Name:  IMG_0053.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  45.4 KB

Ok if I do use this one in the picture below... how do I disconnect it? and reconnect it... is it simple pull off and push back on?

Name:  IMG_0056.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  31.5 KB

now a couple of these look nice and easy to pinch off and replace if I could use one of them.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:45 PM
MP90 uninstalled

On the first pic you posted, the blue mark closest to the bottom of the pic parallel to the bottom edge of the picture, you can use that hose to suck the stuff into the 3" round black intake tube that hose attaches to.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:15 PM
Pro

Question

Originally Posted by jproy
On the first pic you posted, the blue mark closest to the bottom of the pic parallel to the bottom edge of the picture, you can use that hose to suck the stuff into the 3" round black intake tube that hose attaches to.
ok so that one will get into all the valves as well as the one fttsms recommended?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:47 PM
MP90 uninstalled

Yes, you can use it in addition to the one fsttyms1 said. You can use any hose that connects to only the black plastic portion of the ~3" intake tube between where the ~3" intake tube connects to the Throttle Body and the OEM Air Filter Box. I think there are only two, the one I just pointed out to you and the one Fsttyms1 pointed out. They both connect to the black plastic 3" intake tube I just described and will disperse evenly across both banks. You can pour it in, let the hose suck it in or use a spray bottle and spray it into the fitting on the intake tube. Whatever floats your boat. I personaly like to spray but it probably doesnt change jack squat. It is what it is.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:50 PM
B A N N E D

tight.. my assumption was correct wish I knew this before I did mine. Ill probably do it again in 7k
Old 02-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Team Owner

Why wait? gas is expensive and this is the fix for many problems
Imagine the improvement cleaning all the points!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:56 PM
B A N N E D

I just dont want to use too much.. dont want my gaskets, seals, and rings too see too much of the stuff.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:18 AM
Pro

Talking

Here's one final pic

I'm going to disconnect this hose at the end with the red dot.... then with this same end I'll use a funnel or something and pour/spray the Seafoam in... The seafoam will travel in the direction indicated by the blue arrow : )

Name:  blue2.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  65.3 KB

lol Everyone should be able to follow this now : )

hmm one end goes to the TB... but the mystery question is...Where does the other end lead? lol you don't have to answer that one...
Old 02-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Doc Holliday

hmm one end goes to the TB... but the mystery question is...Where does the other end lead? lol you don't have to answer that one...
Wanna bet
Old 02-14-2008, 09:37 AM
MP90 uninstalled

Now you should combine all the info in this thread and create the Master Seafoam DIY. There are so many of them on every Honda/Acura forum as well as videos on utube with wrong instructions. I am sure someone has ruined their motor by pouring this stuff somewhere it is not supposed to go.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Team Owner

It didnt hurt the motor using any regular vac line.
Now we all know a better way for the TL and will redo it. Seafoam says to redo in 2000 miles if first timer anyway- for max effect. Its perfectly safe to use every 5000 miles if you really want to. You can add it to the gas just like any fuel cleaner- once a tank, or once every 3 months. It is a high detergent oil- not a solvent- per seafoam tech helpline.
The rings, piston tops, valve edge seals, fuel injectors and much more APPRECIATE being hyper clean to do their job at max efficiency.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:02 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
If Kris will go ahead and make me a mod, I can edit the first post to put in the new info .
Old 02-14-2008, 12:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
If Kris will go ahead and make me a mod, I can edit the first post to put in the new info .
Dont worry i fixed it for you

Once you hit 30k posts ill think about it
Old 02-14-2008, 12:11 PM
MP90 uninstalled

01tl4tl,

LOL! If I didnt know better I would bet money you work for Seafoam

fsttyms1 has too many posts. That must be some kind of record here on the board I thought 4000 was high.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:13 PM
No He Can't

One of the original guys of the site has 13X,XXX posts
Old 02-14-2008, 12:13 PM
No He Can't

Dont worry i fixed it for you

Once you hit 30k posts ill think about it
It was worth a try
Old 02-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Senior Moderator

If someone wants to get the updated diy for this written up ill fix it.

And ill be home this weekend so ill TRY to get the actual DIY page set up better
Old 02-14-2008, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jproy

fsttyms1 has too many posts. That must be some kind of record here on the board I thought 4000 was high.
Nope

https://acurazine.com/forums/memberl...sts&pp=30&ltr=
Old 02-14-2008, 12:37 PM
MP90 uninstalled

So what is the prize for having that many posts?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:55 PM
No He Can't

Damn, Whiskers is a whore.

Quick Reply: DIY: Seafoam 2nd GEN TL (sorta) work in progress