DC Header for TL

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:42 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,146 Likes on 818 Posts
Ceramic-coated headers are good. First of all, the ceramic coating seals all the heat inside the header, so the engine compartment doesn't get very hot. Secondly, they will last a long time since they are constructed from mild steel which is very forgiving to stress and minor twisting movements, unlike stainless steel ones which tend to crack at the welding joints.

For my previous car, an Integra, the RS*R SS header lasted 1.5 years while the DC ceramic-coated header lasted 4+ years. The latter was still good when I traded in the car.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:49 PM
No body kit for me...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found out today that indeed, as excelerate said, the DC's are only available for the TL in ceramic coated mild steel.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by pgordash
I found out today that indeed, as excelerate said, the DC's are only available for the TL in ceramic coated mild steel.
Which is a good thing unless you want that shiney look. Ceramic coated headers are a good thing. Like stated above they help keep the heat in the pipe which adds hp. Also ive Never had a problem with DC Sports ceramic coated headers on any previous car. Even up here with all the temp extremes and snow and salt.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Advanced

Excelerate did they say if these headers have carb#?
Old 02-17-2006, 04:43 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by pgordash
Even if DC is giving the TL headers a choice of SS and ceramic-coated, I'll go for the ceramic-coated one without a 2nd thought. Much cheaper too.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by DzTL-S
Excelerate did they say if these headers have carb#?
I'm sure they will, but as of right now it hasn't been released. The CARB certification usually comes out after the headers have been released since it takes time to get the certification. I have a few coming in, but the initial supply was already bought out. I am going to try and get more ordered. As of right now I have 3 available and I believe they will be $355 shipped.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:58 PM
I NEED MONEY!

if these are that good I'll dump my AW's and put on some DC's... I want to see how the gains are though..
Old 02-17-2006, 07:13 PM
Drifting

FINALLY! another header we can trust besides Comptech! Had some DC's on my accord, loved them, cant wait to get a set, $355 is a steal
Old 02-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by VeeralS05
if these are that good I'll dump my AW's and put on some DC's... I want to see how the gains are though..
Probably exactly the same as all the rest. they will deffinatly be better quality and build than megan, aw, and stone,
Old 02-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Pics..

http://www.kurumamotoring.com/image/...s/hhc5522a.jpg

I contacted Kuruma Motoring via ebay and they sent this link to the headers they just received. I believe the price will be $350 shipped.

-Jake
Old 02-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Looks like great quality and welding
Old 02-17-2006, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Yeah they are DC Sports he says and they should have them up on ebay this weekend.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:37 PM
Low and Slow

This is great. It's an amazing price too! I was looking into a set of Alphaworks in the blackmarket, but I think the guy who posted was fraud or something. Not many responses to his own posts. Plus these are brand new for under four hundred. I'm glad I held out on the Megan and Alphaworks, cause these DCs look very promising.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:38 AM
Intermediate

does it include the downpipe?
Old 02-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Intermediate

On ebay now

Just posted..

Mod Edit: no e-bay links

Looks like it includes the downpipe.

-Jake
Old 02-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I'M DONE HERE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pchong154
does it include the downpipe?
yes.It's a guy that has them on ebay for $299.00 plus $60.00 shipping.do a search for dc sport tl and it should come up.they have 4 available.if they could have made these 2 years ago before I bought the comptechs.oh well it's only money
Old 02-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Intermediate

Bit the bullet

Just ordered a set. Can't wait to get them! I'll make sure to put some feedback in when I get them installed. It may be a couple weeks until I can get them in. Hope they're worth it.

-Jake
Old 02-18-2006, 06:22 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
this sounds like awesome, if these work out comptech will have to cut their prices or lose a lot of sales. BTW my Stone SS headers(3rd batch) are holding up great and look great after over a year. Minimal resonance and build quality is very good, all for 300.00 shipped, but they don't make them anymore it seems. oh well, this looks like a great alternative to CT's.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:26 PM
Racer

Great timing

I am getting my car ready for some mods. Header was a major sticking point for me, should I go with ct and pay so much or take my chance with megan, stone, aw. The news of DC offering for our car couldn't come at a better time, for me anyway. I love their header, the best imo. Hopefully Jakester any other fellow tlers that get them install can comment on the quality, which I feel will be superb.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Back in a Type S

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakester
Just ordered a set. Can't wait to get them! I'll make sure to put some feedback in when I get them installed. It may be a couple weeks until I can get them in. Hope they're worth it.

-Jake
Hey Jake, I just wanted to warn you and everyone else. I recently had a bad experience with that particular seller on ebay. They state that they have the item when they really do not have it on hand. Most people don't post negative feedback because they do get their money back right away. I didn't find out that the item that I won was on back order until 10 days later when I emailed them as to where it was. I know many people who have had this same experience with that seller. Hopefully this won't happen to you, but make sure you keep emailing them for a tracking number.

Plus I can't wait to hear about your feedback on the headers!
Old 02-18-2006, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the headsup. I had checked out the the feedback before the purchase and hopefully all will be fine. There's always a certain amount of risk but for the price I figure if they hold true to their claim it will be the next best thing to CT but for a lot less.

-Jake
Old 02-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

damn cant wait till you put them on
Old 02-18-2006, 11:22 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some of you have gotten in contact with DC Sports regarding these headers, maybe you can help out with this question. Are the gains similar to the comptech headers? I would think they would be and I am hoping I would be correct in saying that a company like DC Sports (AEM) would do a before and after dyno for testing purposes and so they could not only advertise gains but advertise the quality of their product, I'm not for one second doubting the quality, I have bought many DC Sports products in the past and am waiting patiently for this group buy to get started, but I think it would help DC if they made the gains public, if they are available.

If not maybe we can get someone here who has purchased them to do a before and after.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:15 AM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys. i was looking at the ebay listing for the DCs look at the front part of the downpipe. where it bolts to the front primarys. the piping does not go up very far. is it just me or it looks like its almost stright pointing forward. i usually dont question DC since they have one of the best fits. but it just looks weird to me. cause my megans go straight up. like where the down pipe bolts to the primarys. the dcs only have one that goes stright up for the rear primarys and the front one practically points forward toward the radiator. does anyone else see this??
Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 AM
All your base belong to

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any word on performance gains?
Old 02-19-2006, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZeroPSI
Any word on performance gains?
ALL headers provide the same performance gains.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:16 PM
6G TLX-S

Originally Posted by MikePA
ALL headers provide the same performance gains.
Only if the design and piping diameter are the same. If the pipes are bend and combined differently, the performance characteristic across the rpm range will become different.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kuni808
Hey guys. i was looking at the ebay listing for the DCs look at the front part of the downpipe. where it bolts to the front primarys. the piping does not go up very far. is it just me or it looks like its almost stright pointing forward. i usually dont question DC since they have one of the best fits. but it just looks weird to me. cause my megans go straight up. like where the down pipe bolts to the primarys. the dcs only have one that goes stright up for the rear primarys and the front one practically points forward toward the radiator. does anyone else see this??

I noticed this too compared to the pictures posted for Megan headers. I can only hope the fit compensates for this somehow. I should get this them week and will let ya know.

-Jake
Old 02-19-2006, 10:08 PM
In 702, 808 in Dreams

Originally Posted by Jakester
I noticed this too compared to the pictures posted for Megan headers. I can only hope the fit compensates for this somehow. I should get this them week and will let ya know.

-Jake
cool. good luck.. maybe the primarys for the front goes more down maybe?? but it would seen weird that the rear would not go the same way. i hope its just the picture is off. let us know. i might be in the market for another header since my megans have that resonence. depends though.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:18 AM
new wheels = old school

its because they are designed different. the front header is longer to meet the shorter front end of the downpipe. just look at the pic. the headers are not the same length like the megans are for the 3 pipes front and back.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:51 AM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

wow nice to know a good company came out with another set of headers, im one of the lucky ones that dont have a problem with the megan headers, otherwise I would switch right away, only problem I have is that stupid second flex pipe that only megans have, alot of people tend to scrape it, and i scrape the hell out of mine, im gonna get it welded off and put a straight piece back on.. Good luck to you guys getting the DC's.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:29 AM
new wheels = old school

"My headers have been leaking since i got them, i tighten the bolts like twice and there sill leaking, and the resonance is getting worse.."

that was a post you made black acc. so you did or you didnt have problems w/the megans? cause here it sounds like they are great cept the downpipe, and there you sound like you've had problems. just curous though because i currently have a set of megan headers that i have not installed and am trying to decide if i should sell and get the DC's. let me know.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Only if the design and piping diameter are the same. If the pipes are bend and combined differently, the performance characteristic across the rpm range will become different.
Exactly how many different designs and piping diameters are there for TL headers? We aren't talking Pro Stock drag racing here where one manufacturer tunes for low end torque and another tunes their headers for high end hp gains.

For all intents and purposes, all headers for a given model car produce the same gains.

Almost everyone on this board is looking for a quality set of headers that;

1. Don't leak
2. Don't resonate
3. Don't cost what Comptech headers do.

Minor 'performance characteristic across the rpm range' are irrelevant. It's not like someone will notice that one brand of headers produce 1 less hp at 4500 rpm and decide to spend another $800 on Comptech headers.
Old 02-20-2006, 10:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Exactly how many different designs and piping diameters are there for TL headers? We aren't talking Pro Stock drag racing here where one manufacturer tunes for low end torque and another tunes their headers for high end hp gains.

For all intents and purposes, all headers for a given model car produce the same gains.

1. Don't leak
2. Don't resonate

Minor 'performance characteristic across the rpm range' are irrelevant. It's not like someone will notice that one brand of headers produce 1 less hp at 4500 rpm and decide to spend another $800 on Comptech headers.

Plus most have copied the comptech anyway
Old 02-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

I think if you read on blackacc removed his heatshield and corrected his resonance problem
Old 02-20-2006, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah sell the megans and buy the DC's, I plan on getting these as soon as i hear more feedback........

BTW I have megans also,dont think i can sell them mine are scraped like crazy..I had to wrap and rewrap these every other week and my resonance is minimal fyi
Old 02-20-2006, 02:58 PM
6G TLX-S

1. Don't leak
2. Don't resonate

Only if headers from different makes are directly copy of one another, then the performance characteristics will be the same. Headers provide performance gain by increasing exhaust gas velocity via tuned resonance effect. If one maker decided to bend the pipings at a different angle or different length before combining (maybe for ease of manufacturing), then the resonance effect will be inevitably changed with or without the intention of the header maker.

I have seen up to five or six different design headers for particular model Honda cars, and the performance curves are vastly different from one another. It is not about produce 1 less hp at 4500 rpm. It is about the the location of peak torque and peak hp. It is about power gain and power loss at different rpm bands. Some even lose a whole chunk of torque and hp at the lower rpm band, but produce back much more at the high rpm band. Others have gains more gradually added along the whole rpm range. All this equate to driverability at low, mid, and high rpm bands, and it is very noticeble.
Old 02-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

these DCs look a bit different than the Megans and Comptechs i hav/had...
the bend near the front of the downpipe goes more straight opposed to the comptechs that bends more upwards...

Old 02-21-2006, 03:40 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
All this equate to driverability at low, mid, and high rpm bands, and it is very noticeble.
It's also very irrelevant.

Based upon the vast majorinty of header posts on AZ, almost no one is interested in header academics. They are interested in....

1. Don't leak
2. Don't resonate
3. Don't cost what Comptechs do.
Old 02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
ASSEMBLED TO PERFECTION

Originally Posted by brado
"My headers have been leaking since i got them, i tighten the bolts like twice and there sill leaking, and the resonance is getting worse.."

that was a post you made black acc. so you did or you didnt have problems w/the megans? cause here it sounds like they are great cept the downpipe, and there you sound like you've had problems. just curous though because i currently have a set of megan headers that i have not installed and am trying to decide if i should sell and get the DC's. let me know.

Originally Posted by Phesto
I think if you read on blackacc removed his heatshield and corrected his resonance problem
Phesto partially answered that question for you. It was my heatshield rattleing making all that noise, but that was because one screw was missing from it, I just bought a new screw from acura and the noise was gone. The little hissing sound is somewhat still there, but went down after i put the new downpipe. It "suppose" to be a problem from having aftermarket headers, since the metal is thin, who knows, I can barely hear it, now that I have an exhaust. As long as I dont got that loud rattleing noise from before im fine.. Can't really say what you should do, because some people had problems with megans and some didnt, its tought to say, If you can sell the megans and got the extra money for the DC go for the DC. Because changing headers isn't a fun job, you dont wanna do it again if you dont have too...

Quick Reply: DC Header for TL