AEM V2 vs. All Others

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
haha yea man people need the most updated input i feel. i reread all the old threads to get as much information as possible so whatever helps
Old 05-21-2008, 05:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my v2, the sound is so amazing
Old 05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Station
An intake is an intake. all it is is a pipe with a filter like KSuchdeve said. As long as you have a AEM dryflow or a K&N and the piping for your intake is the same size or bigger than the TB than it should be just as good as a Name brand. The V2 gets bigger when it bends but that doesnt matter when your TB is only so big. so what the point of the bigger pipe? Sound and Looks. F*** spending 350 on an Intake. why spend So much money on a piece of aluminum.
And to another point, my theory is that the Comptech works better as a CAI because Metal intakes get as hot as your engine bay because your TB and IM are connected to your engine block Metal-Metal absorbing all the heat so the Intake gets Hot and your engine just sucks hot air once warmed up. Metal would work best if you use Thermoblock spacers because they are not aluminum so your IM and TB wont absorb as much heat so your CAI wont get as hot and would work to its full potential sucking up cold air and maximizing HP. Comptechs is Plastic solving this problem, but the IceBox is so ugly. So I say just go on ebay and Buy a 50 dollar CAI and get a AEM Dryflow and buy a Underdrive Pully with the extra cash you saved. and enjoy the new feel of your car.

- Brandon
Under stand thermal dynamics, resonance and flow any you might know more about how they work. There IS a point behind the larger pipe. There is also a point in the step down to the 2.5 before it goes to the TB. You think plastic doesnt absorb or let heat transfer into it?? It does. May not hold it as long but it does. They all get hot sitting. Once moving they all cool the air charge. Also if you are really worried about it they to have thermal wrap for intakes.
Old 05-21-2008, 07:58 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool air, nonturbulence, and velocity. This makes a good intake. Velocity is increased by that stepdown in size. And, BTW COLD air is not best, COOL air is. HOT air is not as good.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bibledriver

Cool air, nonturbulence, and Velocity. This makes a good intake. Velocity is increased by that stepdown in size. And, BTW COLD air is not best, COOL air is. HOT air is not as good.

Well thank you for explaining that the Velocity is increased by that stepdown thats what i needed to know, and i didnt mean COLD air specifically Haha just that any air being drawn into your engine thats away from the engine bay will be Colder than from the inside. I know that plastic absorbs heat also but if your drawing COOL air through your intake would it not make sense that the plastic intake could be Cooled down Significantly faster because it is plastic and that a metal one would be more difficult to keep cool. Im not that worried about it otherwise i wouldnt have got a metal intake or i would heatwrap it. My main point was to purchase a V2 if your only getting a deal on it because it is just so much money for an intake, i wasnt dissing them at all i Love AEM, My opinion is its just not worth the cash unless you have it. and the whole spacer and heat was just a theory i guess next time i say something i need to be really specific so people dont take it the wrong way for some reason.
and while i got your attention Kris i love your exhaust i had the idea to use a muffler to substitute a y-pipe, than i saw your longass thread and you had the same idea just a lil different than i would do it, ill start a thread in about a month when i start it. And In the future i would love to add a STS turbo, but those plans take affect once my tranny goes out and i do the 6MT swap.A Rear mounted turbo were our Y-Pipe is right now on a TL would be so Badass. damn my posts are long
Old 05-26-2008, 09:22 AM
10th Gear

to install the v2 do you have to remove the front bumper
Old 05-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mgoalie00004
its not necessary, it just makes it easier to get the resonator out
Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Volks FTW!!!

Originally Posted by mgoalie00004
you don't have to. i installed my CAI w/o removing the bumper. it just depends how much room you have to work with and how big your arms and fingers are i guess. LOL.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Station
Well thank you for explaining that the Velocity is increased by that stepdown thats what i needed to know, and i didnt mean COLD air specifically Haha just that any air being drawn into your engine thats away from the engine bay will be Colder than from the inside. I know that plastic absorbs heat also but if your drawing COOL air through your intake would it not make sense that the plastic intake could be Cooled down Significantly faster because it is plastic and that a metal one would be more difficult to keep cool. Im not that worried about it otherwise i wouldnt have got a metal intake or i would heatwrap it. My main point was to purchase a V2 if your only getting a deal on it because it is just so much money for an intake, i wasnt dissing them at all i Love AEM, My opinion is its just not worth the cash unless you have it. and the whole spacer and heat was just a theory i guess next time i say something i need to be really specific so people dont take it the wrong way for some reason.
and while i got your attention Kris i love your exhaust i had the idea to use a muffler to substitute a y-pipe, than i saw your longass thread and you had the same idea just a lil different than i would do it, ill start a thread in about a month when i start it. And In the future i would love to add a STS turbo, but those plans take affect once my tranny goes out and i do the 6MT swap.A Rear mounted turbo were our Y-Pipe is right now on a TL would be so Badass. damn my posts are long
Yea i tossed back and forth the idea of the rear mount turbo. I had a turbo i was playing with. I went the SC route. I want the whine of the roots
Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM
Instructor

I just failed visual inspection with my V2.

They supposedly ran the CARB #'s and since I have one from an Accord V6, it failed.